Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying a 3/4 ton truck this weekend and need some advice

Mellowmoods

Reaction score
Is it better to buy a newer 4th Gen Cummins vs. an older 4th gen Cummins when purchasing a truck with over 100k miles? I know there are some differences in the years and thought I would get some feedback. I'm looking at a 2012 and a 2015 at the moment.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Why the upgrade?

We see so many looking to upgrade into a 2500 Diesel with the intention of pulling a big 5th wheel, only to find out they don't have the payload needed.

That said, lots of upgrades went into the 2013-2018 trucks so I'd be looking there.

Mellowmoods

Reaction score
Why the upgrade?

We see so many looking to upgrade into a 2500 Diesel with the intention of pulling a big 5th wheel, only to find out they don't have the payload needed.

That said, lots of upgrades went into the 2013-2018 trucks so I'd be looking there.
Thanks for the response. I bought a new toy hauler (not 5th wheel) that falls within the weight maximums for my current 2019 Ram 1500 Limited, but if I load my family into the truck and anything else I've maxed payload. It's a 10k pound toy hauler with 1350 payload. I don't want to damage my current truck with this trailer but can't afford 80K+ to buy a new Ram. I've never bought used before, or ever owned a diesel truck. I'm just really concerned about purchasing a used truck with 100k+ miles with a Cummins that could have issues. I know all engines aren't perfect, but I am sure some versions are better than others.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I bought a new toy hauler (not 5th wheel) that falls within the weight maximums for my current 2019 Ram 1500 Limited, but if I load my family into the truck and anything else I've maxed payload. It's a 10k pound toy hauler with 1350 payload. I don't want to damage my current truck with this trailer but can't afford 80K+ to buy a new Ram. I've never bought used before, or ever owned a diesel truck. I'm just really concerned about purchasing a used truck with 100k+ miles with a Cummins that could have issues. I know all engines aren't perfect, but I am sure some versions are better than others.

I would ask why are you buying a diesel for a 10K trailer? The hemi is certainly capable of that, though I might question the health of one with high miles vs a Cummins. 100K is just getting started. I'd be more inclined to worry about the health of the trans and running gear - ball joints, etc.

FWIW, I looked (pre covid) for a clean low mileage 13+ CCLB with an Aisin trans for 6 months in 2019 before I gave up and ordered new. You can do ~5-6% under invoice on a factory order. Current 2500 Hemi would handle that RV just fine and you avoid the potential emissions issues of a diesel.

RPS1030

Reaction score
2013 is when the 3500 got the Radius Arm Front Suspension, still rear leaf spring
2014 is when the 2500 got the Radius Arm Front and Coil Rear Suspension
2014 is also the first year of the 6.4 Hemi

My lifted/regeared/37s Power Wagon handled a 7500 camper with ease. Just temps got heat soaked by the end of the day given how far we would go in a day.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyway, the #1 thing to look for in a Cummins is "blow by."

Do not let the owner pre-warm/start the engine before you look at it. Specify it needs to be a cold start.

Start the truck and then remove the oil filler cap, leaving it sitting in the filler hole. If there's enough pressure to blow it out of the hole, it probably has too much blow by and should be suspect/avoided. Lots of youtube vids on this.

Believable Maint records help. regular oil changes, etc. oil analysis even better. 100K is (I believe) where the rocker arm valve lash gets adjusted at least it was on my 24V 5.9L.

Mellowmoods

Reaction score
I would ask why are you buying a diesel for a 10K trailer? The hemi is certainly capable of that, though I might question the health of one with high miles vs a Cummins. 100K is just getting started. I'd be more inclined to worry about the health of the trans and running gear - ball joints, etc.

FWIW, I looked (pre covid) for a clean low mileage 13+ CCLB with an Aisin trans for 6 months in 2019 before I gave up and ordered new. You can do ~5-6% under invoice on a factory order. Current 2500 Hemi would handle that RV just fine and you avoid the potential emissions issues of a diesel.
.Well... it's 10k empty. It will be probably closer to 12k loaded (and if went boondocking, then it would be full of water/fuel) and the tongue weight is more my issue on my current truck. I will be over max payload once my family is in the truck... when the trailer is loaded up that creates even a bigger problem. I go to the mountains on snowboarding/skiing trips, summer trips to Lake Tahoe and the Sierras, and also other areas in southern/central California. I only have 40k miles on my current RAM 1500. I would also like better MPG. I get 7MPG driving on the freeway and 2MPG going up hills.

wilsonck

Reaction score
I guess it would help if you posted your questions.

I can tell you I have a '20 2500 that I just recently bought. Came from a '13 3500. The ride in the 2500 with coil springs in the rear is definately a smoother/softer ride compared to the leaf's on the 3500.

But it all depends on what you are towing whether you need/want a 2500 vs a 3500

Mellowmoods

Reaction score
Hello! I did post a little in the 4th Generation RAM HD General Discussion. Because this was a welcome thread, I didn't want to clog it with questions. I definitely need to upgrade to a 2500 (3500 is overkill) since I'm over my payload capacity on my 1500 Hemi once I put my family in the truck. Just a toy hauler travel trailer (non-5th wheel).

mountainears

Reaction score
Overkill isn’t a thing ;-). Families upgrading their toys over time happens! You’d just be prepared!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharlieL

Reaction score
Hello! I did post a little in the 4th Generation RAM HD General Discussion. Because this was a welcome thread, I didn't want to clog it with questions. I definitely need to upgrade to a 2500 (3500 is overkill) since I'm over my payload capacity on my 1500 Hemi once I put my family in the truck. Just a toy hauler travel trailer (non-5th wheel).
Welcome! I did the same as you - upgraded from a 1500 Hemi. It was a 2013 with air suspension - what an incredible ride for a truck! (My son bought it from me as he always admired it). My choice was a diesel 2500 Laramie with rear air suspension. I use it for pulling a 5th wheel, but also pulled my prior trailer on a couple of trips & it didn't seem to even notice it was behind! You won't go wrong with a 2500 as long as you stay aware of all payload, GAWR, GVWR numbers, etc. Good luck and stay safe.

Attachments

• New-Old Side-by-side.jpg
    New-Old Side-by-side.jpg
    610.2 KB · Views: 20
  • P7232215.JPG
    P7232215.JPG
    401.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0029.JPEG
    IMG_0029.JPEG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 128.JPG
    128.JPG
    462.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Mellowmoods

Reaction score
Welcome! I did the same as you - upgraded from a 1500 Hemi. It was a 2013 with air suspension - it had an incredible ride! My choice was a diesel 2500 Laramie with rear air suspension. I use it for pulling a 5th wheel, but also pulled my prior trailer & it didn't seem to even notice it was behind! You won't go wrong with a 2500 as long as you are stay aware of all payload, GAWR, GVWR numbers, etc. Good luck and stay safe.
Thank you! Because this is my first used vehicle purchase... and a high mileage used vehicle purchase.... I want to avoid purchasing a problematic year for Cummins or the transmission. I'd buy a truck from MYSELF because I know how I treat/maintain my vehicles. I'm cautious about buying someone else's vehicle who may not take as good of care of it.

Mellowmoods

Reaction score
FYI... I'm also considering other brands too :oops:... but have always owned a RAM for over 20 years.

Mellowmoods

Reaction score
2013 is when the 3500 got the Radius Arm Front Suspension, still rear leaf spring
2014 is when the 2500 got the Radius Arm Front and Coil Rear Suspension
2014 is also the first year of the 6.4 Hemi

My lifted/regeared/37s Power Wagon handled a 7500 camper with ease. Just temps got heat soaked by the end of the day given how far we would go in a day.
I'm pushing payload on a PowerWagon apparently. Plus I could use the better mileage. If I load the trailer and fill with water/fuel, I would definitely be pushing the Power Wagon payload.

CharlieL

Reaction score
Thank you! Because this is my first used vehicle purchase... and a high mileage used vehicle purchase.... I want to avoid purchasing a problematic year for Cummins or the transmission. I'd buy a truck from MYSELF because I know how I treat/maintain my vehicles. I'm cautious about buying someone else's vehicle who may not take as good of care of it.
Totally understandable position. I'm without sufficient info to speak to "problematic years" for the Cummins. You will find alot of opinions with some searching & I'm sure others will chime in. I went with a new 2022; had a total 25 miles when I bought it.

tchur1

Reaction score
This might be too personal so feel free to skip, but whats your budget?

CaptainMike

Reaction score
FWIW, my 2015 Ram 3500 w/Aisin was one of the better trucks I've owned. I sold it with 90k miles to a friend for $50K (bit under high KBB at the time). If it's in your budget upgrading to a 3500 will give you more options going forward.

Mellowmoods

Reaction score
FWIW, my 2015 Ram 3500 w/Aisin was one of the better trucks I've owned. I sold it with 90k miles to a friend for $50K (bit under high KBB at the time). If it's in your budget upgrading to a 3500 will give you more options going forward.
Thanks... a 3500 is cool but since this is a daily driver I would assume a 2500 would ride better. Maybe I am wrong?

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
First of all the Cummins is a great engine. IMHO the best diesel you can get in an HD truck. That said, I have to ask why anybody gets the diesel in a 3/4 ton truck. You just lose way too much payload and can not actually use the capability of the diesel. If I needed the diesel, and let's be clear most who buy it don.t actually NEED it, I would get a 3500. I have the 6.4 Hemi in my 2500 MegaCab with 4.10 rear end. It tows my almost 9000 pound 30' Airstream with zero problems. I have NEVER lacked for power! The added cost of the Cummings (around 10k) just can not be justified. Then you consider the cost of DEF and all the regen issues (very expensive). Now, if you need to tow heavy and often then yes the Cummins is the way to go. But too often a guy will go with the diesel because thats what the dealer has on his lot. Or his buddies tell him it's not a real truck unless it has a diesel. Now I would say it's your money and you should buy what you want. Just be aware of what you actual options are. Plus, with the cost of these trucks, why settle for what the dealer has? Order it and get EXACTLY what you want. Thats what I did and I am so happy I did that. Also, the 2500 with the Hemi and air suspension makes for a great ride, especially for a daily driver. And the 4.10 rear end really makes it pop off the line. Good luck with whichever way you go.

Users who are viewing this thread