Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bumper pulling 12k lbs with a 2500?

98GTSViper

Reaction score
Hi all. Sorry for adding to the exhausting list of threads on towing capacity of a 2500 with the Cummins.

I currently have an aluminum 18ft trailer i use to haul my car to and from track days. But I really want to get into a trailer that can haul two cars so that I can bring a car for my dad to drive at the track (we live in different states but meet up at the track all the time).

I had looked at 32ft gooseneck trailers for a while as i thought that was my only option for getting the cars there - but i've recently come across several 30+ ft bumper pull car haulers (open - not enclosed). They appear to weigh around 5,000 pounds. My car weighs 3,400 pounds and the additional car I'd be adding is another 2,400 pounds. So total weight of the bumper pull would be around 11,000 pounds.

Is that fine for a bumper pull trailer on these 2500s? I know it will tow it, I just don't know if it'll be a PITA due to it being a bumper pull and having that weight behind the truck versus having it centered in the bed/frame.

In a perfect world I'd get the gooseneck, but if it doesn't drastically alter the way the truck drives or its safety, I might consider the bumper pull because all in all it would be about 7-8k cheaper.

Thanks

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Your hitch and truck should both be rated for that, but you didn't give any truck specs other than it's a 2500 with a CTD.

Personally I would use a WDH with that setup, even if it wasn't required.

Pearce

Reaction score
It's fine. It will be even better with a weight distribution hitch.

98GTSViper

Reaction score
@AH64ID
my mistake, its a tradesman 4x4 crew cab with the CTD. No options. Thanks! I've not got any experience with a weight distribution hitch but will research

@Pearce thanks! I will look those up!

tchur1

Reaction score
My boat weighs about 10k when loaded up and I have zero issues with it on the bumper. WDH as others have stated will help too if you're worried/not satisfied with how it pulls.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Get a properly rated hitch and let it rip if you need find you need a WDH then look at one but you should be fine
A properly loaded flat deck will be a pleasure to tow with no issues.

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
No issues with my 29 foot bumper pull toyhauler, but I use a propride hitch with it. It's 13k loaded.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
I would go enclosed goosneck. I know its more expensive but unless you always rent a garage at the track or have a motorhome to stay in it is such a great convenience to have a shelter at the racetrack. There are endless advantages of an enclosed trailer. Took me a few years to understand and things changed but when you look at the track most people have an enclosed trailer for good reasons. The increase cost enclosed vs open will pay off quickly if you are willing to sleep and cook in the trailer.
Give it some thought......

Users who are viewing this thread