Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building a new RAM

2500ltd

Reaction score
Hey folks. Currently shopping for my first RAM truck to tow a larger Airstream than what I'm pulling today (from 22' to 27'). Ruled out the 1500 as the AS I'll be upgrading to is over 1000# of tongue weight loaded and I find that too close for comfort. Now, I have a few questions:

1) I want a fully decked out Limited as we intend on putting in a lot of time behind the wheel. We want it comfy and functional. Talking mega cab, RAM boxes, etc. Is the 2500 even worth considering or should I just go to 3500 for enough payload room?

2) The online 3500 RAM configurator gives me a choice of GVWR, 11.4K lbs or 14K lbs, with no price difference or additional explanation. I assume that is for the hitch receiver (VI vs V)?

3) For towing a 7700# trailer, which engine would folks recommend? I like the 8-speed transmission and simple maintenance of the gas Hemi but would the HO diesel be a better tow horse?

4) Dual alternator. Worth it? Does it charge the RV's house batteries faster while driving?

5) Finally, adaptive steering, also worth it?

Thanks in advance for the help! Much appreciated!

Pronto

Reaction score
1- Is your truck a dedicated towing rig or does it also have to function as a daily driver? How many miles per year are you towing? 2500 Hemi Limited loaded would be around 2500 lbs payload. I forget how much more the Cummins weighs, I think about 800 lbs more which is how much it will reduce your payload by. Is that enough payload for your tongue weight and what you're carrying?

2- 11.4K GVWR requires a Cummins, 14K requires a dually.

3- Hemi would handle a 7700# trailer, but it goes back to #1, what all are you using it for and how often are you towing with it. Also where are you towing, flat or mountains?

4- Can't help you with that.

5- If you get a loaded Limited, it's going to come with adaptive steering.

RamGuy84

Reaction score
I believe you can get a Limited without adaptive steering if you don't select the Limited Level 1 Group, but that takes away from a lot of the luxury features that you desire. I have adaptive steering on my 2020 3500 Laramie and I honestly don't like it. Maybe the 2021 has a more refined version of it?

I'd probably go 2500 Limited, Hemi, 4.10 and get some airlift bags installed. Just my opinion.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey folks. Currently shopping for my first RAM truck to tow a larger Airstream than what I'm pulling today (from 22' to 27'). Ruled out the 1500 as the AS I'll be upgrading to is over 1000# of tongue weight loaded and I find that too close for comfort. Now, I have a few questions:

1) I want a fully decked out Limited as we intend on putting in a lot of time behind the wheel. We want it comfy and functional. Talking mega cab, RAM boxes, etc. Is the 2500 even worth considering or should I just go to 3500 for enough payload room?

2) The online 3500 RAM configurator gives me a choice of GVWR, 11.4K lbs or 14K lbs, with no price difference or additional explanation. I assume that is for the hitch receiver (VI vs V)?

3) For towing a 7700# trailer, which engine would folks recommend? I like the 8-speed transmission and simple maintenance of the gas Hemi but would the HO diesel be a better tow horse?

4) Dual alternator. Worth it? Does it charge the RV's house batteries faster while driving?

5) Finally, adaptive steering, also worth it?

Thanks in advance for the help! Much appreciated!

2) 3500 GVWR is 11K Hemi, 12K Cummins SRW, 14K Dually either engine. All the trucks come with a 2.5" Class V receiver hitch.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
We have a 2020 30' Airstream International Serenity. I tow it with a 2020 Ram 2500 Limited MegaCab with the 6.4 Hemi and a 4.10 limited slip rear end (rated to tow just over 16k), also air suspension. This is more than enough for our AS. The 2500 has a much better ride than the 3500 particularly with the air suspension. When not towing the 3500 will feel every imperfection in the road (a friend has one). The Limited is a great choice as the interior is very comfortable for our travels. The MegaCab gives room and comfort for our passengers when we have company camping. When we don't have company we can fold down the back seats and have a ton of room for stuff. The Hemi is about 9k less (standard output) or 11k less for the HO in the 3500. The Hemi will give you about 1 thousand more pounds in carry capacity in the truck, so the 2500 gasser has plenty of capacity. I have driven over mountains with no effort. As an example, last fall we were coming back from the Smokey Mountains. I had to pass a slower vehicle that was only doing 65 in a 70. We were going uphill in the mountains. I moved to the left and hit the gas. In a blink of an eye I was doing 75 and had passed the guy. Now I know I will get a lot of flack from guys criticizing me for going that fast towing. Note: I use 70 as my top cruising speed normally. My point is that the Hemi has more than enough power for any towing situation you can think of for the AS you have. Only downside is that the Hemi is thirsty and it is recommended that you use 89 octane. However it would take many years to make up the difference in cost of the diesel.

Also, ask yourself these questions. How often will you be towing? Will the truck be a daily driver or will it sit more often than not when not towing? Diesels do not do well just sitting. Maintenance costs are greater with the diesel than the gasser. Also don't forget that with a diesel you need to use diesel emissions fluid. The diesel will give you the diesel exhaust brake. But the gear limiter on the Hemi uses the engine to brake if needed and works great.

Ram Boxes are great. We use them for all our hitch equipment (we use a blue ox), X chocks and other misc. Really helps as external storage on the AS is very limited. We went with a ReTrax tonneau cover (The PowerTrax model and it works great with Ram Boxes).

If money is not an issue and you just like the sound of a diesel then get it. Just understand that you don't NEED it and it would reduce carry capacity. If I needed to go with a diesel I would go with a 3500. For your situation I would recommend the 2500 MegaCab Hemi. Also recommend the 4.10 over the 3.73 as it will give you more pep off the line (but will burn a bit more gas), however the 3.73. will work fine. Limited slip differential will help if one rear wheel does not have traction as it will transfer power to the other rear wheel. Lastly the air suspension keeps everything nice and level.

Finally, ordering is the only way to get exactly what you want. For as much as these truck cost the 2 to 3 month wait is worth it. As an example, all the dealers only seem to stock the black interiors. We find that too dark. Had to order to get the Indigo/Frost interior (Love it).

Good luck with whatever you decide

Last edited:

LossPrev

Reaction score
If you're getting ramboxes then you're probably not looking to get a 5th wheel(although it can be done, see other thread) so I would get a 2500 for the ride comfort. A 2500 loaded with your family and gear isn't even going to know a 27' Airstream is behind it...

I wouldn't use the extra payload of the hemi as a factor, with the cummins you might end up right at your payload rating but I wouldn't care at all(see 2500 vs 3500 thread). I also wouldn't use the "extra maintenance" costs as a factor since that is fake news, there is only one factor to consider: initial price. Would you like a better towing experience for about 8k-10k more in initial purchase price? That value is different for every person...

I tow a 33.5' toy hauler that weighs about 8k empty. It is much taller, wider and a bit heavier than your Airstream. Even with a faulty weight distribution/anti-sway hitch I can barely feel it in sustained and gusting crosswinds(I drive through the plains of Indiana quite a bit). A hemi would tow my trailer just fine but I would never give up my Cummins, it is just too damn quiet and easy towing.

Two big positives often overlooked with the diesel as well: exhaust brake and filling up at truck stops. I love going through the truck lanes and not trying to fit around fools in cars at the gasoline pumps.

2500ltd

Reaction score
1- Is your truck a dedicated towing rig or does it also have to function as a daily driver? How many miles per year are you towing? 2500 Hemi Limited loaded would be around 2500 lbs payload. I forget how much more the Cummins weighs, I think about 800 lbs more which is how much it will reduce your payload by. Is that enough payload for your tongue weight and what you're carrying?

2- 11.4K GVWR requires a Cummins, 14K requires a dually.

3- Hemi would handle a 7700# trailer, but it goes back to #1, what all are you using it for and how often are you towing with it. Also where are you towing, flat or mountains?

4- Can't help you with that.

5- If you get a loaded Limited, it's going to come with adaptive steering.

Thanks for the reply.

To your question, the truck will be 95% used for towing. I expect to put on between 10 and 15K a year on it. If the Limited's payload is indeed 2500, I think I'd be fine. Thought it was more like 2000 fully loaded based on stickers seen on other threads.

Not sure I follow the GVWR thing. If I build with the HEMI, it gives me the choice of both. Not sure I understand what it changes.

Last edited:

2500ltd

Reaction score
I believe you can get a Limited without adaptive steering if you don't select the Limited Level 1 Group, but that takes away from a lot of the luxury features that you desire. I have adaptive steering on my 2020 3500 Laramie and I honestly don't like it. Maybe the 2021 has a more refined version of it?

I'd probably go 2500 Limited, Hemi, 4.10 and get some airlift bags installed. Just my opinion.
You are right. I see adaptive steering in the Level 1.

On airlift bags, may I ask why? The air suspension option from RAM isn't good enough?

2500ltd

Reaction score
We have a 2020 30' Airstream International Serenity. I tow it with a 2020 Ram 2500 Limited MegaCab with the 6.4 Hemi and a 4.10 limited slip rear end (rated to tow just over 16k), also air suspension. This is more than enough for our AS.

Thanks for your post. Very helpful and information. Making me much more comfortable with the 2500. Question, what's the exact payload on your Limited? What does the sticker say?

2500ltd

Reaction score
If you're getting ramboxes then you're probably not looking to get a 5th wheel(although it can be done, see other thread) so I would get a 2500 for the ride comfort. A 2500 loaded with your family and gear isn't even going to know a 27' Airstream is behind it...

I wouldn't use the extra payload of the hemi as a factor, with the cummins you might end up right at your payload rating but I wouldn't care at all(see 2500 vs 3500 thread). I also wouldn't use the "extra maintenance" costs as a factor since that is fake news, there is only one factor to consider: initial price. Would you like a better towing experience for about 8k-10k more in initial purchase price? That value is different for every person...

I tow a 33.5' toy hauler that weighs about 8k empty. It is much taller, wider and a bit heavier than your Airstream. Even with a faulty weight distribution/anti-sway hitch I can barely feel it in sustained and gusting crosswinds(I drive through the plains of Indiana quite a bit). A hemi would tow my trailer just fine but I would never give up my Cummins, it is just too damn quiet and easy towing.

Two big positives often overlooked with the diesel as well: exhaust brake and filling up at truck stops. I love going through the truck lanes and not trying to fit around fools in cars at the gasoline pumps.

Nope, not going to tow a 5th wheel. It's a good ol' travel trailer.

Costs associated with Diesel both upfront and after don't worry me too much. This is a truck I'd keep for a while and want it optimized for towing. That's really the guiding factor.

Good point on being able to bypass the gas station and go straight to the truck stop. Certainly a benefit to not have to deal with free roaming cars and tight quarters at gas stations with a big rig in tow.

GeneralClortho

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

To your question, the truck will be 95% used for towing. I expect to put on between 10 and 15K a year on it. If the Limited's payload is indeed 2500, I think I'd be fine. Thought it was more like 2000 fully loaded based on stickers seen on other threads.

Not sure I follow the GVWR thing. If I build with the HEMI, it gives me the choice of both. Not sure I understand what it changes.
This answers your questions I believe. A diesel dually will be ideal if you can afford the price tag. My past 3500 dually diesel would tow a car trailer at 75mph with ease, stable, smooth, comfortable, no drama.

My 1500 Ram Hemi would tow a 6k travel trailer but with both hands on the wheel and pools of sweat under arms going through construction zones. I know it is a 1500 but the dual rear wheels make a big difference on stability and the diesel torque and reciprocating crank mass of the engine makes for smooth pulls over the gas engine.

If you had of said 25% towing, then probably go with the Hemi.

RamGuy84

Reaction score
You are right. I see adaptive steering in the Level 1.

On airlift bags, may I ask why? The air suspension option from RAM isn't good enough?
I'm sure its fine, but where I live up in Minnesota, every dealer and service tech advised me not to get it with the winter climate we have up here. I know someone who had it in his 1500 and he issues in the extreme cold.

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
The payload thing is interesting in a mega cab 2500 diesel. I have one ordered. The 2k payload isn’t a bumper pull issue as a class five hitch “only” pulls 18000 and rough math requires 10% on the tongue, or 1800. Your (my) 2500 is fine with that.

but a respectable 5th will put 2500 pounds in the bed easy, and that is beyond what the mega 2500 wants per ram. I am unclear if this is a paperwork thing or honest to goodness safety issue. Prob not the right thread to discuss but I am curious.

Pronto

Reaction score
My Hemi Longhorn Mega Cab loaded out with everything except a sunroof has a payload of 2579 lbs. If you added the sunroof, I'd guess it come out around 2500 lbs.

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
My Hemi Longhorn Mega Cab loaded out with everything except a sunroof has a payload of 2579 lbs. If you added the sunroof, I'd guess it come out around 2500 lbs.
Yes, right. Sorry... I should have said diesel. The hemi can pull what appears to be 500 more. Guessing the diesel engine/trans must be 500ish pounds heavier than hemi.

abillerbeck

Reaction score
This answers your questions I believe. A diesel dually will be ideal if you can afford the price tag. My past 3500 dually diesel would tow a car trailer at 75mph with ease, stable, smooth, comfortable, no drama.

My 1500 Ram Hemi would tow a 6k travel trailer but with both hands on the wheel and pools of sweat under arms going through construction zones. I know it is a 1500 but the dual rear wheels make a big difference on stability and the diesel torque and reciprocating crank mass of the engine makes for smooth pulls over the gas engine.

If you had of said 25% towing, then probably go with the Hemi.

Disagree... I think the OP is on the wrong forum all together. The 3500 dually with the HO diesel is only rated for 34,000 pounds, if he's trying to pull almost 8,000 pounds he needs to be looking at something along the lines of Kenworth or Peterbilt...something rated to tow at least 60,000-80,000 pounds. LOL.

I always find these towing threads to be comical. In Europe you would see that trailer behind the family station wagon, but for some reason here you wouldn't consider anything less than a 1 ton dually HO diesel. A lot of the larger SUV's these days will tow that trailer and still be within the rated limits. I agree with all those before me that said the 2500 Hemi (rated for almost 17,000 pounds with the 4.10 axles) will be more than plenty for what you are hauling and will be a nice ride too.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Thanks for your post. Very helpful and information. Making me much more comfortable with the 2500. Question, what's the exact payload on your Limited? What does the sticker say?
Max payload is 2419.07 LBS. Max towing is 16,419.07 LBS per sticker. My tongue weight is around 1000 lbs towing the AS. This leaves 1400 lbs for stuff. Note: That when providing the payload number, Ram has already taken into account 150 pounds each for a driver and passenger plus a full fuel tank. So there is plenty of capacity. And you cant beat the smooth ride of the 2500 (especially with the air suspension) as compared with 3/4 ton trucks from Ford or Chevy/GMC. I attached a picture of my set up.IMG_2014.jpeg

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
Disagree... I think the OP is on the wrong forum all together. The 3500 dually with the HO diesel is only rated for 34,000 pounds, if he's trying to pull almost 8,000 pounds he needs to be looking at something along the lines of Kenworth or Peterbilt...something rated to tow at least 60,000-80,000 pounds. LOL.

I always find these towing threads to be comical. In Europe you would see that trailer behind the family station wagon, but for some reason here you wouldn't consider anything less than a 1 ton dually HO diesel. A lot of the larger SUV's these days will tow that trailer and still be within the rated limits. I agree with all those before me that said the 2500 Hemi (rated for almost 17,000 pounds with the 4.10 axles) will be more than plenty for what you are hauling and will be a nice ride too.
I actually have a European car (Range Rover) and do tow near its 7700 limit now. The issue is the limiting tongue weight of 770. And frankly the rover is NOT happy towing our 7k toy hauler. 8 MPG on premium gas is lame. Brakes are working over time. Poor rear view even with mirror extenders. I do agree that we like bigger things in America. But my toy hauler is considered “small” at 24 feet and the rover has amoung the highest towing limit of any SUV (Euro or US).

Horses for courses I suppose. Wanna tow, get a truck if fits family budget. As a bonus, I find the ram interior to be as nice as the rover--not a downgrade in any way (In my opinion).

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Dual alternators wont charge faster its ment for high power use like a plow and sander

Pronto

Reaction score
Yes, right. Sorry... I should have said diesel. The hemi can pull what appears to be 500 more. Guessing the diesel engine/trans must be 500ish pounds heavier than hemi.
I knew you were referring to diesel. I was just tossing my Hemi payload out to give the OP a frame of reference.

Users who are viewing this thread