Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken cargo/third brake light with truck cap

dm6

Reaction score
I have had a cap on my '21 Ram 2500 for a couple of years and today when washing it, I noticed a chunk was missing from the light on the cab (the third brake/cargo/cam light). The way the cap was installed, it looks like there is only about 1/2"-3/4" clearance between the front of the cap and that light, so maybe on a rough road or something it actually made contact and broke that light. However it happened, that light with the camera is very large so even with the cap as far back as it can go, it is still pretty close. What do you guys recommend? Should I just replace that with some sort of smaller third brake light that doesn't stick out as far as the camera? Or is there even a cap or something that can go over the opening rather than a light, since I don't need it anyways?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thats why its recommended to use the non cargo cam 3rd brake light as it sticks out less.

Will_T

Reaction score
I have had a cap on my '21 Ram 2500 for a couple of years and today when washing it, I noticed a chunk was missing from the light on the cab (the third brake/cargo/cam light). The way the cap was installed, it looks like there is only about 1/2"-3/4" clearance between the front of the cap and that light, so maybe on a rough road or something it actually made contact and broke that light. However it happened, that light with the camera is very large so even with the cap as far back as it can go, it is still pretty close. What do you guys recommend? Should I just replace that with some sort of smaller third brake light that doesn't stick out as far as the camera? Or is there even a cap or something that can go over the opening rather than a light, since I don't need it anyways?
When I put the cap on mine, I changed out that light for a smaller profile one without the camera.

Edit to add: Found a thread I posted in back then that has info on changing it out and a link to one on Amazon. https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?...en-installing-a-camper-shell.4164/#post-64601

Last edited:

dm6

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread