Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breather Locations Requiring Extensions

JamesEvan

Reaction score
Have a trip out west coming up and will more than likely have some deep water crossings, when I looked at the front diff the breather it was essentially a 1" nub. If anyone has modded these can you hook me up with a round about location for any others I will need to extend and the hose size/tie-downs leveraged? Appreciate any assistance.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
TMR customs sells the perfect thing for that…

Attachments

• 3F34639D-310D-4B84-98BE-9EDC847C9D4E.png
    3F34639D-310D-4B84-98BE-9EDC847C9D4E.png
    804 KB · Views: 10

Wobly

Reaction score
I have been kind of torn on the breather issue. I have the tubing and clamps to do it, but haven't done it yet. There are quite a few people that have routed the 5(?) items needing breather tubes up under the hood and behind the taillights. But, after some research, it turns out that the new models have Gortex membranes in the breather valves to allow hot gasses to escape while keeping water out. I have done a few water crossings with mine and never had water intrusion.

JamesEvan

Reaction score
I have been kind of torn on the breather issue. I have the tubing and clamps to do it, but haven't done it yet. There are quite a few people that have routed the 5(?) items needing breather tubes up under the hood and behind the taillights. But, after some research, it turns out that the new models have Gortex membranes in the breather valves to allow hot gasses to escape while keeping water out. I have done a few water crossings with mine and never had water intrusion.
Really appreciate you dropping this, was concerned when I saw that short tube on the front diff given some of the snow melt I will be crossing.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
TMR customs sells the perfect thing for that…

Some users have reported those building enough pressure to blowing oil out seals.

As indicated above, the new breather tube vents are one-way/waterproof.

I would extend the factory vents if I spent a lot of time fording deep water, but wouldn't use the bellows kit.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Some users have reported those building enough pressure to blowing oil out seals.

As indicated above, the new breather tube vents are one-way/waterproof.

I would extend the factory vents if I spent a lot of time fording deep water, but wouldn't use the bellows kit.
I have never experienced that on any of my vehicles i ran them on, i dont see why they would blow seals out they expand a lot if needed

jetrinka

Reaction score
Gone through some deep stuff here with hot diffs and had no water intrusion into the diffs.

However I have bought (and not installed) ARB’s breather extension kit that has hose and a main breather hub that can be mounted under the hood. I still may install it but feel it’s not all that needed.

arx237

Reaction score
What kind of checks are y'all doing to confirm no water intrusion?

jetrinka

Reaction score

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I will get around to extending and put a fuel filter on em’, Gore Tex has never kept water off of me to satisfaction. Low water has the boat ramps jacked at Mead

el_barto

Reaction score
I extended the front diff up to the firewall by the battery and the rear up to the taillight. I might extend the transfer case and transmission at some point but they are tucked up high above the rocker panels so it would have to be pretty deep to be a concern

Poolmonkey

Reaction score

Nice link on the hose..
Found and using these though…Primed

https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-Complete-Line-Filter/dp/B000C9WJ8U/ref=sr_1_19?crid=12OKGBQIB8QI8&keywords=3%2F8+fuel+filter&qid=1652556329&sprefix=3%2F8”+fuel%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-19

Meh…not linking. Wix, steel 3/8ths fuel filters at a discount…less than $5.00 a pop

Last edited:

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Went ahead and did it on my 19 PW just now, AC Delco hose from the link above.
The rear was already run pretty high, about to the floor of the bed…but the hose was so loose on the axle that it pretty much fell off when I touched it and the check on the end was a plastic version of the old school bobbler, a loose cap assembly.
The factory hose had clips and abrasion protectors on it so put a squeeze clamp on the axle barb, cut off about 3” on the other end and used the lil’ Wix steel fuel filter as a coupler to add the new section to the older. Pulled the driver tailight, ran the hose up to the bed rail behind it and put the factory check on the end with a clamp. Didn’t need many wire ties due to the factory clips that got me a ways there.

The front was clamped securely to the barb, about 3” long and had the Goretex check on it. Pulled the check and coupled hoses with another filter, used some split heater hose to make a chafe guard where the slack sits on top of the diff yoke and ran it up to the driver’s side top of the firewall just under the hood wire ties along the way. Put the Goretex check on the end with a clamp.

The factory hoses are slightly smaller than 3/8ths but coupled up fine, I left them for ultimate sealing on the barbs instead of using the slightly too big 3/8ths hose. The lil’ front filter is riding close to the diff but it weighs nearly nothing especially with no fuel in it, I smacked it around and it won’t touch. I may pick up a 3/8th barb both ends brass fitting to couple and move the filter to the firewall zone, or not.

Users who are viewing this thread