Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

breaking problem

Golfnut5

Reaction score
I have a RAM 1500 Laramie 2022 and I have just bought a new caravan. It has the standard 12 pin plug which is the same as the Van, I cannot get the Van brakes to work as they should, on 10 gain with the controller, and set to heavy electric it will just activate the vans brakes, Van has been checked and OK, so I don’t think the RAM is putting enough amps through to the 12 pin! Has anyone experienced the same and what was the fix??

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
You might want to check with a LD forum as this is a HD forum and there are truck differences.

Brakes go thru the 7-pin, not the 12-pin. Does the 1500 even have the 12-pin? That’s for cameras on the HD’s.

On the HD’s the most common issue with inadequate braking is the trailer.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You might want to check with a LD forum as this is a HD forum and there are truck differences.

Brakes go thru the 7-pin, not the 12-pin. Does the 1500 even have the 12-pin? That’s for cameras on the HD’s.

On the HD’s the most common issue with inadequate braking is the trailer.

12-pin flat.

I have a RAM 1500 Laramie 2022 and I have just bought a new caravan. It has the standard 12 pin plug which is the same as the Van, I cannot get the Van brakes to work as they should, on 10 gain with the controller, and set to heavy electric it will just activate the vans brakes, Van has been checked and OK, so I don’t think the RAM is putting enough amps through to the 12 pin! Has anyone experienced the same and what was the fix??

Ram controllers don't supply full voltage and are PWM with varying pulse rates.

Different connector, but review this thread:

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
12-pin flat.

Ram controllers don't supply full voltage and are PWM with varying pulse rates.

Different connector, but review this thread:

Good catch on the Aussie 12 pin, I was thinking of the US HD 12 pin.

Yes, I’ve read about the reduced voltage at low speeds with the Ram controller, but a lack of overall braking still comes down to a trailer issue.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Good catch on the Aussie 12 pin, I was thinking of the US HD 12 pin.

Yes, I’ve read about the reduced voltage at low speeds with the Ram controller, but a lack of overall braking still comes down to a trailer issue.

I wasn't contradicting that point. I should have also included OP quote.

I agree, 99% of the time it's trailer wiring, often an intermittent short to ground or faulty magnets/brake assemblies.

Users who are viewing this thread