Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand new Warn Zeon 12s Leaking oil from drum

Danny Cameo

Reaction score
So since these Warn's on the power wagon are mounted basically upside down, I bought a rope cover a Warn one To put on to protect the rope from the road debris
This truck is 2 months old and has 2900 km on it The winch has never been used and to my surprise yesterday when I went to put on the cover I found oil leaking out of the drum
I had a Zeon 10S leak on one of my jeeps This is back when the Zeon lineup 1st came out but it leaked from where the motor mounts to the main body, not from the drum
Here is a link to the YouTube video I shot any feedback back would be helpful
Before unfortunately I have to go visit the dealer again as I hate dealers with a Passion
Here is the video

jadmt

Reaction score
probably just assembly lube. I would wipe it down and see. if you have not tensioned your rope yet you need to pull it all the way out, which will give you a better idea where it is coming from. I am pretty sure there is grease not oil in the winch. One cool thing with Warn is if you call them someone answers the phone and you can actually talk to someone who is not just a paid phone answerer. I rebuilt a VR10S and called and they had someone who was able to talk me through it when I was having a hard time getting the motor back in the case.

thkbaron

Reaction score
yeah as far as I know winches do not have oil in them. Just grease. You can completely pull them apart.

bgenlvtex

Reaction score
Already been said, but that gearbox is packed in grease not oil, and none of it is in the drum.

I'd wash it off and check it after it has been used 3 or 4 times to see what it looks like. If super concerned, I'd contact Warn and send them some pics, going to the dealership with that "problem" will only result in irritation and drama, possibly them disassembling and reassembling the winch, but the chances they warranty that by replacing the winch entirely is almost none.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Warn is really great with warranty and parts. They don’t care if you take it apart, they won’t void your warranty for that. They know we off-road folks sometimes need to make something work and warranty the part later

jetrinka

Reaction score
Should be grease in the winch. I’d be cleaning it and keeping an eye on it after popping the hood and taking a serious look at the components above the winch for leakage.

What was it at the dealer for?

MACOZ

Reaction score
So since these Warn's on the power wagon are mounted basically upside down, I bought a rope cover a Warn one To put on to protect the rope from the road debris
This truck is 2 months old and has 2900 km on it The winch has never been used and to my surprise yesterday when I went to put on the cover I found oil leaking out of the drum
I had a Zeon 10S leak on one of my jeeps This is back when the Zeon lineup 1st came out but it leaked from where the motor mounts to the main body, not from the drum
Here is a link to the YouTube video I shot any feedback back would be helpful
Before unfortunately I have to go visit the dealer again as I hate dealers with a Passion
Here is the video
I have exactly the same issue on my 2022 Power Wagon with 970 miles on it. I used the winch for the first time today to re-spool the rope and the leak is in exactly the same location as yours. Looks like very light oil to me ,so I was not sure if it was caused from fling off of motor oil from a normally messy oil change or not? Did you pinpoint and correct this issue?.......(As I now have to do the same troubleshooting) Thanks!

Danny Cameo

Reaction score
I have exactly the same issue on my 2022 Power Wagon with 970 miles on it. I used the winch for the first time today to re-spool the rope and the leak is in exactly the same location as yours. Looks like very light oil to me ,so I was not sure if it was caused from fling off of motor oil from a normally messy oil change or not? Did you pinpoint and correct this issue?.......(As I now have to do the same troubleshooting) Thanks!
No I haven't figured it oh it's too far down to be a messy oil change.
And believe me I've been right there right there when the red seal mechanic at 4 Wheel Parts parts what's a homemade funnel right up to that aluminum booming them drain and we still get oil all over the Tieroad Cross members you name it.
Yes I've had at least 4 tecks over the last 5 months look Add it and we all know there's no oil in that motor it's grease.
Yes like you said this this substance is definitely not a grease that's inside of side of that motor as some others have stated I've had it apart on the 10s on my Jeep.
The power wagon is going in to the dealer late this week or early next weearly next week there is a specific teck, That I will only let touch my vehicles and hes going to look at a few things then then I'll get his opinion on it and report back.
Dictated not read
Doctor Dan lol

Danny Cameo

Reaction score
No I haven't figured it oh it's too far down to be a messy oil change.
And believe me I've been right there right there when the red seal mechanic at 4 Wheel Parts parts, who made a homemade type funnel right up to that aluminum housing, then drain it and we still get oil all over the Tieroad Cross members you name it. Yet they all agree that that winch is too far down and there is no way for it to run that far.
Yes I've had at least 4 tecks over the last 5 months look Add it and we all know there's no oil in that motor it's grease!
Yes like you said this this substance is definitely not a grease that's on the winch. as some others have stated I've had it apart on the 10s on my Jeep and there is only grease inside. Yet what we are seeing is NOT grease!
The power wagon is going in to the dealer late this week or early next weearly next week there is a specific teck, That I will only let touch my vehicles and hes going to look at a few things then then I'll get his opinion on it and report back.
Dictated not read

slowindown

Reaction score
Oil will sometimes separate or bleed out of grease. Happens with my grease gun all the time.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Free undercoating….

Its probably just cheap grease that is separating in the heat. There is no seal there so im not sure what you want the dealer to do except for spray some brake kleen and wipe it off…

I dont see what the issue is but then again i have a ton of fluid film caked on the underside of my truck so that little bit of seeping is nothing…

MACOZ

Reaction score
I will spool the winch out a few more times to see if it is just residual oil from manufacturing or similar to the melted grease theory, if so then it would not affect long term winch function. Interested if anyone does locate a real issue here, but the oil seepage is in too tight of a location to clearly make a call yet. Thanks!

Danny Cameo

Reaction score
Free undercoating….

Its probably just cheap grease that is separating in the heat. There is no seal there so im not sure what you want the dealer to do except for spray some brake kleen and wipe it off…

I dont see what the issue is but then again i have a ton of fluid film caked on the underside of my truck so that little bit of seeping is nothing…
I'm glad to hear that you have a bunch of caked on fluid on the under side of your truck. What that has to do with the tea in China I don't know. That you have a truck that you don't take care of?
You have a leak and are one of those slobs that just leaves things because it runs?
You don't wash the under side of your truck?
Or just in general you don't take care of your equipment?
I have had the 10s fail on Me once, out in the Mountains on my JK, I had to be towed back by a friend in a cj7 out to a logging road to where we could get heavy duty towing to get me to the nearest town, it took all day.
If I had gone camping with my M101 trailer and CVT rooftop tent, That year just the wife and I and the dog I would have had to either put out an emergency signal or hump it for 2 days, at least to get to cell coverage.
So once again recovery equipment is extremely important, wheeling 101, 30 years ago. It can save your life or someone else's.

Back to the leak.
Warren recommends that you run the motor monthly monthly to get the moisture out. Basically the heat in the motor will get rid of any condensation.
This was the cause of my last failure on the 10 S, It Turned out once we got the Winch apart that there was corrosion inside from moisture, With the amount of recovery I do with that JK, I had figured that that motor had gotten hot enough to get any moisture out of it.
The thing I'm not a fan of with the Zeon Series is the way they seal. I have seen corrosion come out of where the motor joins to the body. Even though you run the winch monthly to get the heat up to get the moisture out.
It could be grease separation, yet the manager of my local 4 Wheel Parts is is one of my best friends, who also been a red seal mechanic for 15 years And he has seen a ton of these Warn and Every brand you can name of fail at 1 point or another.
Also their shop Foreman concurs with the manager and myself that we don't think it's oil separation from the Greese.
What will the Teck at the dealership be able to do, since hes a friend hes not gonna just spray breaklean on it.
You can test the motor there's a thing called a multimeter and if you've ever heard of it? Which have already done.
There are a lot of ways to test a winch to see if it's working properly properly!
And the things that we have tried tried I've already spoken to him he will take a look at it and see if he can find anything different if nit's different if not I'll keep running it.
The more skilled eyes on it the better.
I've been running it all season with a backup winch that I use In a plate that goes in the rear class 5 hitch.
We see 4th Gen. Power wagons Come to 4 Wheel Parts all the time, built up Huge.
49 out of 50 of the guys have never even spooled out their winch. They drive around in their big truck And never take it off road. Not only that the last guy who had A 2017 with only 80000 miles on it and a whole giant overland set up AEV full set up and Thurnen lift the works, Where the controller goes was so rusted he couldn't get the pins in, And this is a very common problem on the power wagon unless you put diuretic grease, At least once a year should be twice a season.
It is very likely that it is something simple but but when you spend that kind of honey money for a level 3 power wagon or a level 2 with Most of the options brand new you expect everything to work properly.
As I said I'll have him a look at it, What else can he do you ask? he can warrany it and get FCA Canada to replace it‍♂️‍♂️
up here in the Canadian North you have to test your gear at the beginning of every season. If you go out in the bad country camping or truly wheeling.
We don't wheel in a mud puddle in the middle of Tennessee, or Take our trucks through some dirt road 10 miles from a town with cell coverage and call that wheeling or back country camping.
Where I live and wheel, if something fails, you can easliy die. So your gear is very very important!
Especially The winch, it cannot fail that's that's why I don't use junk brands and part of the baked in price of this truck, is a Warn 12000 pound winch.

Last edited:

MACOZ

Reaction score
FYI: I did email Warn customer service yesterday and this was the reply today:
"There is no oil that is put into those winches. We use a grease, but that should not be leaking out, so I’m not quite sure what is going on there. All of the Power wagon winches need to go back through Mopar for any repair/parts."

jetrinka

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that you have a bunch of caked on fluid on the under side of your truck. What that has to do with the tea in China I don't know. That you have a truck that you don't take care of?
You have a leak and are one of those slobs that just leaves things because it runs?
lol fluid film is an anti-rust coating many people in the north use to preserve their vehicles and keep them from rusting. Seems like he takes pretty good care of his truck to me....

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I have had the 10s fail on Me once, out in the Mountains on my JK, I had to be towed back by a friend in a cj7 out to a logging road to where we could get heavy duty towing to get me to the nearest town, it took all day.
If I had gone camping with my M101 trailer and CVT rooftop tent, That year just the wife and I and the dog I would have had to either put out an emergency signal or hump it for 2 days, at least to get to cell coverage.
So once again recovery equipment is extremely important, wheeling 101, 30 years ago. It can save your life or someone else's.

Back to the leak.
Warren recommends that you run the motor monthly monthly to get the moisture out. Basically the heat in the motor will get rid of any condensation.
This was the cause of my last failure on the 10 S, It Turned out once we got the Winch apart that there was corrosion inside from moisture, With the amount of recovery I do with that JK, I had figured that that motor had gotten hot enough to get any moisture out of it.
The thing I'm not a fan of with the Zeon Series is the way they seal. I have seen corrosion come out of where the motor joins to the body. Even though you run the winch monthly to get the heat up to get the moisture out.
It could be grease separation, yet the manager of my local 4 Wheel Parts is is one of my best friends, who also been a red seal mechanic for 15 years And he has seen a ton of these Warn and Every brand you can name of fail at 1 point or another.
Also their shop Foreman concurs with the manager and myself that we don't think it's oil separation from the Greese.
What will the Teck at the dealership be able to do, since hes a friend hes not gonna just spray breaklean on it.
You can test the motor there's a thing called a multimeter and if you've ever heard of it? Which have already done.
There are a lot of ways to test a winch to see if it's working properly properly!
And the things that we have tried tried I've already spoken to him he will take a look at it and see if he can find anything different if nit's different if not I'll keep running it.
The more skilled eyes on it the better.
I've been running it all season with a backup winch that I use In a plate that goes in the rear class 5 hitch.
We see 4th Gen. Power wagons Come to 4 Wheel Parts all the time, built up Huge.
49 out of 50 of the guys have never even spooled out their winch. They drive around in their big truck And never take it off road. Not only that the last guy who had A 2017 with only 80000 miles on it and a whole giant overland set up AEV full set up and Thurnen lift the works, Where the controller goes was so rusted he couldn't get the pins in, And this is a very common problem on the power wagon unless you put diuretic grease, At least once a year should be twice a season.
It is very likely that it is something simple but but when you spend that kind of honey money for a level 3 power wagon or a level 2 with Most of the options brand new you expect everything to work properly.
As I said I'll have him a look at it, What else can he do you ask? he can warrany it and get FCA Canada to replace it‍♂️‍♂️
up here in the Canadian North you have to test your gear at the beginning of every season. If you go out in the bad country camping or truly wheeling.
We don't wheel in a mud puddle in the middle of Tennessee, or Take our trucks through some dirt road 10 miles from a town with cell coverage and call that wheeling or back country camping.
Where I live and wheel, if something fails, you can easliy die. So your gear is very very important!
Especially The winch, it cannot fail that's that's why I don't use junk brands and part of the baked in price of this truck, is a Warn 12000 pound winch.

Danny Cameo

Reaction score
FYI: I did email Warn customer service yesterday and this was the reply today:
"There is no oil that is put into those winches. We use a grease, but that should not be leaking out, so I’m not quite sure what is going on there. All of the Power wagon winches need to go back through Mopar for any repair/parts."
I already knew that and and I advise you to do the same as me take it to your dealer that you trust minds going in next Tuesday for that and a brake booster issue That they screwed up when they did the recall.
Since I 1st posted the video back in early summer, I've been using the winch all summer with a backup.
I wiped it down after the video and the oil substance did not come back even after a couple uses.
I had to pull a couple of guys in tacos Out in the mountains near Roger's pass BC 2 weeks ago. The winch worked fine and has been working fine even With a snach block, Pushing it really hard.
Yet when I got home from the last trip After using it, That substance appeared again. That is why I reposted and saw your post of the same problem. Also That's why I'm taking it to the dealer finally and a friend who's the Tech there.
One last set of eyes on it before I leave it alone And just keep carrying my backup that I use for rear wintching anyway.

Last edited:

Danny Cameo

Reaction score
I'm in the North
There are tons of codings to use
Fluid film is one of them
Everybody has their own choice this is mine
20220907_120146.jpglol fluid film is an anti-rust coating many people in the north use to preserve their vehicles and keep them from rusting. Seems like he takes pretty good care of his truck to me....

Users who are viewing this thread