Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brake Upgrades?

Greenhills

Reaction score
Since switching to 37's i have noticed a pretty significant decrease in braking performance. I realize its not a car and i don't expect it to stop on a dime, but occasionally I find myself needing to brake hard.. and it's just not there.

On my diesel (same wheel & tire set up) when i stomped on the brakes with 37's it still stopped. I assume the braking system / components aren't the same?

Has anyone switched to a more aggressive pad and had better results?

jetrinka

Reaction score
Un-sprung weight is a killer.

The brakes on these trucks are pretty huge though and everything is a trade off. A good performance ceramic pad will have a great bite but fade under heavy use whereas a good semi metallic will need a bit of heat to get working properly.

I’ll bow out here though as I don’t have heavy 37’s on my truck

TrailWhale

Reaction score
Since switching to 37's i have noticed a pretty significant decrease in braking performance. I realize its not a car and i don't expect it to stop on a dime, but occasionally I find myself needing to brake hard.. and it's just not there.

On my diesel (same wheel & tire set up) when i stomped on the brakes with 37's it still stopped. I assume the braking system / components aren't the same?

I haven't made the switch yet, but I am leaning towards EBC Yellowstuff pads in the near future. I ran their Greenstuff pads on my Toyota and had excellent results with the larger tire size. The Yellowstuff pads are designed for a little more friction in towing/offroad applications.

Greenhills

Reaction score
Doing some research, it looks like EBC has a rotor + pad kit for these trucks.

Quick Youtube video on it :

Might go this route.. the braking doesn't normally effect me, but our traffic here is notorious for coming to a grinding halt from highway speed and it would be nice to know i can stop in time.

g00fy

Reaction score
Power Stop has a rotor/pad kit as well, I’ve heard good things about it

I put that power stop kit on my 1500 Ecodiesel, I was extremely happy with it. A lot less brake dust than stock, and the pads had a major improvement in initial bite and overall stopping performance.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I switched over to the Power Stop pads shortly after going to 37s for the same reason. It's an improvement and almost got me back to OEM initial bite.

Slotted/drilled Rotors won't do much for you with feel. Unless you're already overheating your brakes. In which case you should swap your fluid out too. I've always ran Motul RBF fluid in all my track cars.

Guido

Reaction score
Hello
I'm not certain about the "how's & why's", but when I added cryo-treated rotors (basically the opposite of stress-relieving w/ heat) on my double-cab Tundra not only the performance improved, but the dust production minimized, noise went down, and I believe the wear of my new Akebono ceramic pads slowed considerably.
I spent most of last summer moving to a rural location 200 miles away, so I was towing a 12' dual-axle enclosed trailer most trips. It wore my OEM stuff out quickly the previous fall, a recent visual inspection showed plenty of pad remaining with this setup.
I don't know a lot about cryo treatment, but am fairly comfortable with stress-relieving. While heat tends to slightly soften the treated metal during PWHT (post-welding heat treatment, the most common use for stress-relieving) to a uniform (non-stressed) state, I would guess cryo would do the opposite, and slightly harden the cast iron.
It does appear that it may increase the cracking potential of the iron, and most places offering the rotors caution users to stay away from through-holes in the finished rotors. Cooling slots that are radiused and do not extend completely through the rotors are recommended in their place.
It appears the cryo rotors are extremely well received in racing circles and in fleets that require a lot of stop-and-go driving with heavy loads.

oakleyman

Reaction score

I have 37’s on my 2012 srw 3500 and installed brake motive HD drilled/slotted rotors w/ceramic pads. 4yrs ago and its night&day difference in stopping power! I have used this company many times for these breaks on other projects and have never had a issue. Excellent quality/performance for the price point.

Attachments

• C1332D7B-503F-4690-999F-2375CE8763DC.png
    C1332D7B-503F-4690-999F-2375CE8763DC.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • EE1F6F81-7326-4B31-B79C-751C3B8D589A.png
    EE1F6F81-7326-4B31-B79C-751C3B8D589A.png
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 14
  • C35BE1C9-F44E-4D1F-86A8-C34DD57C471B.jpeg
    C35BE1C9-F44E-4D1F-86A8-C34DD57C471B.jpeg
    678.2 KB · Views: 16

Chris85xlt

Reaction score
I like Hawk LTS pads. The PW is too new right now but i ran them on everything else. Inital bite is strong and been fade free for me. The Jeep JKUR fully armored with 37's feels very confident when stopping. The old Ram Rebel inital bite maybe a little too strong for daily but great when towing. When the time comes ill definitly use them again on the PW.

Users who are viewing this thread