Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bouncing

wrvond

Reaction score
Late to the party here. I have the same issue on mine, porpoising. 850lb tongue weight and 100% weight distro. I've reduced distro but makes no difference. Trailer tows perfectly otherwise and this hasn't been a big deal until the recent trip over the worst road I've ever been on, enough of that! I'm putting on air bags, just gotta figure out which ones.
I prefer the Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate because they have an integrated jounce bumper. On the 2500, with even just 5 psi in the bags, your unloaded ride is going to be more harsh. With the load lifters you can run zero psi and retain the factory unloaded ride.

2500ltd

Reaction score
OP here. Ended up putting in Bilsteins front and back, and Sumos in the back. Huge difference when towing. Super noticeable. Truck doesn’t bounce all over the road when hitting potholes or bad expansion joints.

That said, it is for sure making the ride harsher unloaded, like right now. Trailer is stored for the winter and truck bed emptied of camping gear. If I hit a big hole, the sumos hit the axle hard. You feel it. Upside is no maintenance.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
OP here. Ended up putting in Bilsteins front and back, and Sumos in the back. Huge difference when towing. Super noticeable. Truck doesn’t bounce all over the road when hitting potholes or bad expansion joints.

That said, it is for sure making the ride harsher unloaded, like right now. Trailer is stored for the winter and truck bed emptied of camping gear. If I hit a big hole, the sumos hit the axle hard. You feel it. Upside is no maintenance.

Glad to hear it helped towing.

How hard are the sumo’s to remove for the winter?

DougB

Reaction score
I prefer the Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate because they have an integrated jounce bumper. On the 2500, with even just 5 psi in the bags, your unloaded ride is going to be more harsh. With the load lifters you can run zero psi and retain the factory unloaded ride.
I thought they required 5 psi min for warranty. I have the same kit in the all stainless Plus version, AirLift PN 89289, which seems they don’t list on their website any longer.

Found this in their website. AirLift doesn’t want you to run 0 psi except in “emergency situations”. :rolleyes:
1704427041544.png

I’m going to bleed mine tomorrow to 0 psi

Last edited:

whitexc

Reaction score
I have Timber Grove bags installed and am pretty sure he said to keep 3-5 psi minimum to prevent damage to the bags. I love them and would go that route again if needed. Top notch stuff and simple install.

Sent from me

DougB

Reaction score
I have Timber Grove bags installed and am pretty sure he said to keep 3-5 psi minimum to prevent damage to the bags. I love them and would go that route again if needed. Top notch stuff and simple install.

Sent from me
Those have internal bump stops, too, I thought?

flan

Reaction score
What damage is possible anyhow? I run daystar cradles. Is abrasion a problem at 0 psi? I ran it through my head and couldn’t come up with anything concrete.

2500ltd

Reaction score
Glad to hear it helped towing.

How hard are the sumo’s to remove for the winter?
Not that hard but enough that I’m willing to tolerate some harshness at times. Also thinking of loading the bed enough so that the sumos sit on the axles. Sand bags or something. I think the issue in my case is that unloaded is not truly unloaded. I‘ve got a Bed Slide, Retrax tonneau cover and a Thule box in the back there. Without all of these, the sumos would likely sit high enough unloaded to not hit the axles over bumps.

DougB

Reaction score
What damage is possible anyhow? I run daystar cradles. Is abrasion a problem at 0 psi? I ran it through my head and couldn’t come up with anything concrete.
My take on the min 5psi requirement is otherwise bags without bumps stops can get crushed under full compression since there is no longer a bump stop.

wrvond

Reaction score
I thought they required 5 psi min for warranty. I have the same kit in the all stainless Plus version, AirLift PN 89289, which seems they don’t list on their website any longer.

Found this in their website. AirLift doesn’t want you to run 0 psi except in “emergency situations”. :rolleyes:

I’m going to bleed mine tomorrow to 0 psi

I've reviewed the warranty and it has enough exclusions that they could probably refuse to honor any warranty other than failure immediately upon installation by a professional installer. I don't see an exclusion for running 0 psi.

Just got off the phone with LoadLifter tech support and was informed that the airbags can be safely run at zero psi at any time. It won't void the warranty and doesn't have to be an emergency.

flan

Reaction score
My take on the min 5psi requirement is otherwise bags without bumps stops can get crushed under full compression since there is no longer a bump stop.
Ok seems reasonable.

wrvond

Reaction score

The construction of virtually every air bag out there includes metal cups top and bottom that are a smaller diameter than the air bags themselves. Press the bags down far enough and these metal end caps are going to get pressed into the rubber part of the bag and likely cut into it.

Screenshot 2023-10-31 172743.jpg

Razzman

Reaction score
I'm probably going with Timber Grove, their stuff is all stainless steel and made to factory specs or exceeds. The kit is made specifically for the RAM 2500 and looks it, not a universal mount kit like the Airlift. I had reached out to SuperSprings about Sumo's a week ago and guess they can't be bothered to respond so that's out.

whitexc

Reaction score
I'm probably going with Timber Grove, their stuff is all stainless steel and made to factory specs or exceeds. The kit is made specifically for the RAM 2500 and looks it, not a universal mount kit like the Airlift. I had reached out to SuperSprings about Sumo's a week ago and guess they can't be bothered to respond so that's out.

You will not be disappointed.

Sent from me

henrys

Reaction score
I'm contemplating two mods to improve this based on my readings:

-Change the shocks. My local guy installs Napa shocks. He says they're Monoes and would be more firm than the OEMs.

I can chime in on shocks. I carry a 3700# slide-in camper in the bed of my '22 3500 SRW and at 40k miles I switched from the stock shocks to bilstein 5100 and the difference was negligible. It rode a tiny bit better but not enough to justify the cost so unless your oem shocks are shot I wouldn't bother.

Users who are viewing this thread