Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bleeding fuel line........

oscar

Reaction score
Getting ready to change fuel filters/water separator. Done this more than once on same engine in Motorhome. Except there I pre-filled the filters on the dirty side. Even came with a nice plug to close close up the clean side.

The most real looking video I found for these trucks, although same engine said that after replacing filter (I like to do one at a time to narrow any issues should they arise) you place the ignition in "RUN" (not starting) for 30 seconds, turn it off and do that two more times. This will prime the system and expel all air? So...... where does the air go? I know running air through the high pressure pump is a bad idea..... Years ago on my Chevvy there were bleeds in the system......

flan

Reaction score
Getting ready to change fuel filters/water separator. Done this more than once on same engine in Motorhome. Except there I pre-filled the filters on the dirty side. Even came with a nice plug to close close up the clean side.

The most real looking video I found for these trucks, although same engine said that after replacing filter (I like to do one at a time to narrow any issues should they arise) you place the ignition in "RUN" (not starting) for 30 seconds, turn it off and do that two more times. This will prime the system and expel all air? So...... where does the air go? I know running air through the high pressure pump is a bad idea..... Years ago on my Chevvy there were bleeds in the system......
The air goes through the return side of the fuel system and back into the tank. I run about 6 “prime” sessions you will hear the lift pump in the tank make a bogged down, steady sound when most of the air has worked it’s way out.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Change em both do 3-4 30second prime runs and fire it up it will be good to go

oscar

Reaction score
The air goes through the return side of the fuel system and back into the tank. I run about 6 “prime” sessions you will hear the lift pump in the tank make a bogged down, steady sound when most of the air has worked it’s way out.
That makes sense. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread