Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5160 Shocks. Should I or shouldn't I? Any input?

Speedracer93CobraR

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting Bilstein 5160 shocks with reservoir to replace the factory setup on my 2020 2500. I only have 20,000 miles and it seems a little crazy to think about replacing shocks, BUT I finally met someone who had a set (sort of) in person and he told me there was noticeable improvement. Now, I say he 'sort of' had a set because he has only replaced the fronts and is waiting on the 2 for the rear.

Is this one of those purchases that you tell everyone is great because you spent $800 and you are ashamed to say they are no better than the factory components or are they really a noticeable improvement?

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
I had 5100 on my last Cummins and loved them. Was going to get the level kit with 5160 all around, but going Thuren instead.

Greenhills

Reaction score
i'm going to be installing the bilstein leveling kit on my Ram 3500, due to the unavailability of the Thuren kit. I'd say go ahead.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Nice fact supported post.
I work at a place that does Fox and Bilstein,most Fox shox are developed here and built in Asia,the quality and valving works way better on the Bilstein shocks,check out a Raptor vs TRX,no contest

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
Yeah ok. That's why carli stopped using bilstein not because of quality issues. Also why they also offer King 3.0 shocks, because they are so cheap.
…and your fact-supported post is that carli and thuren use fox, so they’re better?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
…and your fact-supported post is that carli and thuren use fox, so they’re better?
No, mine is an opinion, I never said one was junk. I had bilstein on my 2500 and they rode slightly better than stock but it wasn't very noticeable. They also looked like crap after 1 winter. Considering carli and thuren, the 2 best suspension companies for HD Ram trucks use fox and king instead of bilstein or icon or any other brand yes, to me that means fox shocks are a higher quality shock than bilstein. The fact that carli used to have bilstein shocks as their base model and switched to fox because of quality issues with bilstein is another reason for me as well.

dragon_ram

Reaction score
Since this is an opinion thread only…

I haven’t put anything on the RAM yet but I put 5100s on a Tundra a loved how it tightened up steering and cornering. I put 6112/5160s on a 4Runner next a loved how it improved that ride as well. I’ve stayed away from Fox/King/Icon because I don’t want short-lived-rebuild-required setups, though they may be superior in performance.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I work at a place that does Fox and Bilstein,most Fox shox are developed here and built in Asia,the quality and valving works way better on the Bilstein shocks,check out a Raptor vs TRX,no contest
So you never answered my question of where you work, or why all the winning off road trucks are running Fox and Kings instead of Bilstien.

And trying to compare a passive Fox shock on a Raptor to a active Bilstien shock on a TRX is ludicrous.

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
Humm. So if Fox and King are such junk and Bilstiens are the hot ticket, why are all of the top winning off road trucks running Fox and Kings?
Simple. Race teams don’t have the budget to buy the 5160 bilstein.

but seriously. We’re taking about street trucks here. That’s like asking why the 1500 trucks don’t come with a 6.7.

Users who are viewing this thread