Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 4600 rear shock question

Ramlink

Reaction score
I have a 22 Ram 3500 SRW HO diesel long bed stock leafs buts I added Firestone air bags. Ordered 4600 shocks to replace OEM and there are 2 options for rear. Leaf or factory air suspension. Which one should I have ordered?

I ordered the air suspension option thinking maybe they had more travel? But they are roughly 1” shorter than OEM. I installed them anyway but have not had a chance to road test much. Around the block felt fine. Does anyone know the overall length of the “factory leaf” bolstering shock?
Thanks for any input.

Bilstein PNs
24-302302 (factory air)
24-302296 (factory leaf)

gimmie11s

Reaction score
On the 3500's, both trucks use leaf springs. However, the OEM air-assisted trucks sit about 1" lower than the non-air assisted.

You should have bought the "factory leaf".

Ramlink

Reaction score
Dang… Thank you.
Any ideas on the down sides of leaving them in there? Premature failure or poor performance?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Dang… Thank you.
Any ideas on the down sides of leaving them in there? Premature failure or poor performance?

Youre probably just down an inch or two in travel. If you don't offroad the truck you will probably never notice.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it TBH.

Vin1658

Reaction score
I have a 2022 srw ho granite crystal with 3" lift kit and 5100 bilsteins . I contacted bilstien ,they were very helpful with info . A huge difference in handling & riding

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Odds are good that it won’t be an issue, but it may not hurt to contact Bilstien.

In addition to the length differences there may also be some valving differences, but probably not enough to notice.

Ramlink

Reaction score
Appreciate the input. I ordered the correct ones, gonna ask Bilstein what the difference is anyway just to find out how quickly I should be changing them. Anyone in need of shocks for the factory air bags??
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread