Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bike hitch rack for 2.5" receiver hitch?

jadmt

Reaction score
anybody running a bike rack in the receiver tube that works with the 2.5" most say they won't work with the 2" sleeve.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I use the bike rack I have with the 2 inch sleeve. Not even sure what brand it is.

20200731_224702.jpg20200801_100443.jpg20200801_191949.jpg Not the greatest pics but all I had on my phone.

RPS1030

Reaction score
1UpUSA has an adapter that is basically a section of 2.5x2.5x.5 angle to bring the remaining open area to 2” square. This is useful since their original retention is a ball/wedge in one corner and not relying on a pin.

mcarey

Reaction score
With your typical rack that uses a pin, it should work without any issues. There isn't anything crazy going on from a technical standpoint. You're just adding a sleeve to make something fit better. That said, the pin may not fit.

I'm also not an engineer, nor a lawyer. But I'd bet they claim they wont work, because they can't vet what kind of reducer/sleeve/etc you're using, and it's a lot easier to just say "no doesn't work" than try to cover your ass with a ton of caveats.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
As @mcarey mentioned. The bolt with mine is just barely long enough. I have no issue with it...but that would be the only thing that would make mine...not 2.5" compatible. I have a bigger bolt for it...but still use the original.

That would be a reason they would say it wouldn't work.

The reducer makes it a snug fit. There is no issue there.

The hole in the hitch is the same size as the 2 " receiver and in the same location...so my guess is...the ones that say not for a 2.5...is because of the locking mechanism...either pin or bolt. Most likely just need to get a longer one.

CdnHO

Reaction score
My Thule bike rack fit the 2" adaptor just fine. I did need to use a longer pin.

Users who are viewing this thread