Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Horn vs Laramie for 2023 Order

Blubbs

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post. Thank you for everything I have learned already on these forums. I am in Canada and considering buying my first truck. The main purpose is as a long term recreational vehicle for both short trips and also driving down from Canada to the US to explore. I specifically am interested in truck campers, instead of having to tow a trailer, to create a modular RV and so the truck can also serve as a secondary car (main city car is a Honda Odyssey, we would sell our Honda Clarity plug in hybrid because we don't drive much anyway). This is why I am looking at gasoline SRW heavy duty trucks. They seem like a much better option than dedicated RVs, especially when rear and front facing child seats are needed. We are also aware that a fifth wheel remains a viable upgrade path if we decide in the future to upgrade our RVing (we are currently a family of 3 and looking to have a second living child if it is possible - some tragic events recently occurred in our lives).

The learning curve for understanding heavy duty truck specs has been considerable, but I have been able to determine a lot from the forums and information I have looked up online. I started out with Ford as the aluminum bodies are good for our winters and my in-laws own F-150s. However the price for F-350's is insane, in Canada it is $98k for a 2023 Lariat Ultimate which is the lowest trim in which you can get adaptive cruise control. This led me to broaden my search. GM's offerings won't have adaptive cruise until 2024 model year and seem to not be top of class anyway. While I'm not settled fully on RAM, it seems like the most viable option and will cost about $10,000 less than a comparable Ford, with even better specs like the rear air bags.

I am very safety focused which is why I am not just looking at a used HD truck. The Safety Group etc is very important to me and since we have never had a vehicle remotely this big, I want all the 360 degree cameras, sensors, etc.

I am considering between two builds of 2023 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW Long Box with the 6.4L Hemi. I would appreciate any and all input on what you think is the better option between the builds, and any options I may be missing. If you think there are other vehicles I should be considering, please let me know as well. We can get about $5000 off MSRP with our affiliate plan.

Here are the builds:

YE1xFJl.jpeg

Last edited:

Thisnthat

Reaction score
I'd also list out the options that the Laramie gives you that you are either adding onto the bighorn or that aren't available on the bighorn but are standard/options you're adding on to the Laramie build....what are you getting for the extra $6k?

I bought a 22 Bighorn 3500 night edition dually that was pretty well optioned out and debated the differences between the laramie and bighornas well....the biggest difference to me was interior choices...cloth vs leather....

if I had to do it over again, I'd probably had left off the night edition as it hard to keep the black wheels "clean" and seems that 8/10 ram trucks on the road have the night edition package. I know your build doesn't have it - and don't get me wrong, it looks sharp, but that is one thing I'd have done different

Blubbs

Reaction score
I'd also list out the options that the Laramie gives you that you are either adding onto the bighorn or that aren't available on the bighorn but are standard/options you're adding on to the Laramie build....what are you getting for the extra $6k?

I bought a 22 Bighorn 3500 night edition dually that was pretty well optioned out and debated the differences between the laramie and bighornas well....the biggest difference to me was interior choices...cloth vs leather....

if I had to do it over again, I'd probably had left off the night edition as it hard to keep the black wheels "clean" and seems that 8/10 ram trucks on the road have the night edition package. I know your build doesn't have it - and don't get me wrong, it looks sharp, but that is one thing I'd have done different
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I did go ahead and do that later today. Here are the differences noted between the two builds, accounting for the packages in each build:

goMrFrQ.jpeg

Blubbs

Reaction score
Also, does the bench seat in the front, when the middle seat is being used as an armrest, does the arm pad reach forward enough to actually rest the right hand on while it is holding the steering wheel? I'm 5'10" and don't have particularly long arms, I sit pretty close to the dash.

rossagge

Reaction score
Also, does the bench seat in the front, when the middle seat is being used as an armrest, does the arm pad reach forward enough to actually rest the right hand on while it is holding the steering wheel? I'm 5'10" and don't have particularly long arms, I sit pretty close to the dash.
Hmm...I don't recall being able to do that when I had a 6pax. If anything, you'd be resting an elbow on the plastic cupholder trim.

Blubbs

Reaction score
Hmm...I don't recall being able to do that when I had a 6pax. If anything, you'd be resting an elbow on the plastic cupholder trim.
Thanks, that's what it looked liked when I was comparing trims...

But I don't even know if I could set it up to rest my elbow on the armrest on the console model anyway with proper ergonomics. Possibly not, I couldn't do it in my old sedan so I'm not sure it matters. I should probably visit the dealership. To be honest, from the photos below it looks like neither will be usable for resting the arm on.

H0AuETZ.jpeg

fRFYoun.jpeg

rossagge

Reaction score
Thanks, that's what it looked liked when I was comparing trims...

But I don't even know if I could set it up to rest my elbow on the armrest on the console model anyway with proper ergonomics. Possibly not, I couldn't do it in my old sedan so I'm not sure it matters. I should probably visit the dealership. To be honest, from the photos below it looks like neither will be usable for resting the arm on..

No, you won't. I definitely can't rest my right elbow on my current center console

Last edited:

BSN81

Reaction score

I agree that the wheels on the night edition are hard to clean or keep clean. However, I loved everything thing else about the night edition and very rarely saw in where I live. We ordered it on our new truck. I had the Laramie package on the last truck, and loved it. We went Laramie on the 2023 ordered. So it really comes down to what options you want. So, to us(me) the limited was too much, but the Laramie was the sweet spot.

Blubbs

Reaction score
Does anyone know what order option would allow me to have a backup camera with the truck camper on?

GBB

Reaction score
The backup camera goes away when you remove tail gate to load camper.

BSN81

Reaction score
Does anyone know what order option would allow me to have a backup camera with the truck camper on?
GBB is right. If you remove the tailgate or have it down, the camera view off the tailgate doesn't help. If you have the camera view from the center stop lamp, it would be covered by the camper. So you would have to get the trailer surround camera option, which connects at the bumper, then mount it on the camper. But I believe it comes with 50 feet of cable, as it is designed for a large trailer. The other option would be buying a Bluetooth camera system, like a Furrion system, then mounting that to the camper and having the display in the cab of the truck. Then if you ever get a trailer you can move that system to the trailer. Does that help at all?

BubbaWilkins

Reaction score
GBB is right. If you remove the tailgate or have it down, the camera view off the tailgate doesn't help. If you have the camera view from the center stop lamp, it would be covered by the camper. So you would have to get the trailer surround camera option, which connects at the bumper, then mount it on the camper. But I believe it comes with 50 feet of cable, as it is designed for a large trailer. The other option would be buying a Bluetooth camera system, like a Furrion system, then mounting that to the camper and having the display in the cab of the truck. Then if you ever get a trailer you can move that system to the trailer. Does that help at all?
Or just buy a compatible backup camera for the camper and plug it into the tailgate camera connector.

jebruns

Reaction score
What you need is the "wired tow-mode camera" option. It comes with the camera and about 40' of wire. The camera has to be mounted to the back of the camper. Once plugged into the bumper, your rearview mirror will default to it.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It really comes down to what you want, and that’s different for everyone. For me Laramie is the only viable trim as I like the comfort of the Laramie+ seats over the bighorn and need seating for 6. Laramie it is. I didn’t get the safety group because I’ve never driven a vehicle with lane assist and collision avoidance I like, and only a few variants of adaptive cruise are worthwhile. There is also a much bigger blind spot from the safety group mirror vs the standard mirror or base DRVM. Again, that’s all preference thou.

As long as you have the carrying capacity you need then get what you want. There is very little payload difference on a 3500 SRW between gas and diesel, so get the motor you want. Is a SRW enough truck for the camper you plan to carry?

Savage99ss

Reaction score
If you are going to use a slide in bed camper, go big horn and don’t get the surround view camera. Like others stated, it will be useless.

If u want leather go Laramie. The main difference. When did towing tech group become included in Laramie trim? Wasn’t on my order in November.

Buy a wireless camera for the back of your camper. We have one and it comes with its own screen, which is great bc you can leave it on while driving which is great.

Also, with sport edition be prepared for rock chips on the front. I would get 3M clear wrap installed. I camp a lot so I went w chrome bumpers.

My 2018 mega was a higher optioned Bighorn and I loved it. My wife prefers my 2022 mega Laramie bc of the leather.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are going to use a slide in bed camper, go big horn and don’t get the surround view camera. Like others stated, it will be useless.

Only 3 of the 4 surround cameras are unavailable with a slide in, and the 4th can be easily added back. I would not avoid the 360° camera for that reason. It would be far from useless.

It works quite well even when the tailgate camera is missing or dirty.

Last edited:

Savage99ss

Reaction score
I’ve never used the side cameras on mine. I do use the 360 parking camera tho. My biggest gripe is when you get close to an object in front of the truck, I’d love for the camera to pop on. Hate having to manually engage it.

Camera automatically engages in the Escalade and Mercedes.

Users who are viewing this thread