Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BFG KO tires?

dub96

Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone running these on a diesel? Loved the tires on my 1/2 ton but not sure if they are too soft for the diesel? Thx

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Never got good wear with them on my 04.5 2500. Went through several sets until I sold it in 2020 with only 72K on the clock.

Seems they got worse over the years.

Xflight29

Reaction score
The one thing I noticed most of all when I had them was with the squared edge, they caught every line in the road + after about 20k miles they become loud. switched over to Falkens and honestly couldn't be happier.

dub96

Reaction score
KO2 for my 1/2 ton was quiet and good in snow, only ran them for 10k. What are you guys seeing with the fallen, cooper or....?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
With 12K on my Falkens they "appear" to be about half worn after eyeballing the spare I had to take down last week while installing new shocks. That said, the compound is usually harder as they wear to prolong mileage.

dub96

Reaction score
Still leaning toward KO's. How about Toyo? Noise wear?

Dave01

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a set of Falken Wildpeak's. After a bunch of reading here and some other reviews I think it's the best option for me. It came down to them or the Toyo's, hard choice since nearly all I read about either is very positive. I got the impression the Falken's were a bit quieter on the highway and I put a lot of miles on, plus maybe a bit longer tread life but not so sure on that one.

I meant to get new tires a few weeks ago, just didn't get to it. First storm of the year yesterday, and I said to myself "you ran Transforce's on your Suburban and these only have 12,000 miles on them, maybe they'll be ok for this first winter?". Oh boy do they suck, worse than I even remembered. On flat ground backdragging some snow and they/me were nearly stuck because of some snow piled up around them. I had to spin and side-slide to get out of it. Fishtailing with just a bit of throttle on some crusty roads.

It's just sad that on trucks we spend this much money on, billed as rugged vehicles that can do all sorts of work, they put these crappy tires on brand new. I'll have new tires this week assuming I can get it done with the holiday week looming.

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
Hate them tires. Good for Toyota Tacoma's. About it.
I bought 2 used trucks in the past that had them, swear that is why they were traded in. I put new tires on them and drove like a champ.
Couldn't balance
Death Wobbled (this was on 3rd gens)

But I won't buy them. Ever.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I've heard that they recently changed the compound on the KO2 for larger tire sizes to be able to take the additional weight of these HD trucks. I personally dig the KO2. There are a lot of great options thought right now. Just depends on what you want.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve never read a lot of good things about them on HD trucks. Death wobble, noise, and poor wear top the list.

I did run a pair of them on a 4Runner in college and they were ok, but I never bought another set. I’d probably run a set before another pair of Toyo’s, but I only have four letter words to say about Toyo.

My last set of AT’s was Cooper AT3 XLT’s and they are by far the best AT I’ve ever ran. I got 35K out of them, 10K more than other tires, and got some money back too. Quiet, smooth, great traction, and a good price. When the OEM trashforce tires wear out, if I wait that long, I’ll get another set of Cooper AT3’s.

snocam

Reaction score
I'm going to be in the market for tires sometime before next winter. I ran the bfgs on a F350 crew cab for several years and had good luck, kinda felt let down by the wild peaks on another truck, especially when plowing snow. That said, my ram won't be plowing snow. I am keeping with the 37s as far as size, and the Dick Cepek Fun Countries that are on it now are really heavy and I definitely want a lighter tire, the bfgs weigh about 12lbs less per tire by comparison. I don't know which way I'll go, but there will be pics when it happens.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
the Dick Cepek Fun Countries that are on it now are really heavy

I have 31” Trail Countries on my TJ and they are heavy for the size too, which was quite noticeable with 3.07’s. That being said, it’s an awesome tire on all terrain and I’m really enjoying them. Too bad Dick Cepek isn’t making tires anymore.

Dinky503

Reaction score
I've heard that they recently changed the compound on the KO2 for larger tire sizes to be able to take the additional weight of these HD trucks. I personally dig the KO2. There are a lot of great options thought right now. Just depends on what you want.

They did change the compound it was ko2 LT tire with no 3 peak with 50k warranty on trucks. They then stopped the 50k warranty snowflake model on trucks. When they did that people never bought the LT tire as it did not have a 3 peak. They now stopped making the LT tire line and went back to giving 50k warranty on trucks again. I've always had great luck on ko2s and love running then. They were not in stock last time and went with Toyo AT3s which are doing pretty good.

Got torque?

Reaction score
Haven’t and any issues running BFG ATs on any of my trucks. Just rotated a set of KO2s on my 2019 Crew 4x4 today. Have exactly 40k in them and expect at least 10k more miles out of them. Previously put 5 sets on a 2007 Tundra before I sold it to get the Ram. 40-50k plus on each set.

Shorty

Reaction score
Used as last 4 sets & no issues. The first set on 2006 F250 diesel had the old harder compound and sucked on hard pack dirt & snow. Since the newer softer compound I dig them. Grip like velcro, quiet, and last.

BigSexy 64

Reaction score
I've had several brands of ATs and MTs over the years. Put a set of 315 KO2s on my 22 PW as soon as I bought it. Have 18k miles on them and they are the best ones I've had. Very smooth ride with very little road noise

Users who are viewing this thread