Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beware cheap trailer tires

jbncccb

Reaction score
Found Carlisle RADIAL TRAIL HD 8 ply online for $85. Discount Tire matched the price.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Suffice to say that I have tried all, first tires to make it through a full year on my TT since 2006..Suntek 14ply, G load and M speed rated. Still looking good, have not been popped.
Knock on wood.

kevin588127

Reaction score
My 2019 puma has castle rocks (king of the china bombs) when I got it. They immediately got replaced with Carlisle 10 plus. Not the most expensive tire but they haven't done me wrong. Iay try the Hercules next time.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I don't get why anyone would run an LT tire that has less load capacity and a softer sidewall than quality ST tires, particularly on a 2 or 3 axle trailer where they get put through hell scrubbing in tight turns.
My trailer came with LT tires from the factory. Figured they must know something. Now running a commercial Bridgestone 16 inch tire.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't get why anyone would run an LT tire that has less load capacity and a softer sidewall than quality ST tires, particularly on a 2 or 3 axle trailer where they get put through hell scrubbing in tight turns.

Side by side ST’s have had softer sidewalls when I’ve compared similar size and load rating tires, much softer.

The reason the same size LT has a lower load rating than the ST deals with a safety margin for passenger use and nothing to do with tire strength.

LT’s really don’t have any disadvantage over an ST, other than initial cost but total cost is lower since they last much longer.

I’ve never noticed an issue with LT’s scrubbing in tight corners, even on a 5th wheel turned past 90°.

I won’t go back to ST’s on my trailer, even the good ones aren’t worth it. I haven’t had a single flat on LT trailer tires and I was getting frequent puncture flats on ST’s with where I tow.

To add on to what @Brutal_HO said, if you change form ST to LT remember to derate your tires’ load capacity.

Why would you have to derate the tires load capacity?

Razzman

Reaction score
I spent 15 years in the passenger and commercial tire business in my younger days, it was the family biz. I don't recall seeing much from the trailer crowd as far as issues and everyone ran LT tires then on trailers. ST tires didn't become the norm until around '98 or so. Somebody thought trailers needed a special tire, I've never seen so many tire failures as I have with ST tires. I've run LT tires on every trailer I've had without issues and have no problems using them at all.

When we bought our current trailer new in 2020 it had Goodyear Endurance ST205/75R15 D 107N load 2149lbs @ 65psi max on no name 15x5 alloy wheels rated @ 2200lbs. I gave them a chance, what a mistake that was. First trip 300 miles into it a blowout, 4 months later another. Done. Replaced them all with Falken AT3/W LT235/75R15 E 116 load 2756lbs @ 80psi max on Sendel alloy trailer wheels 15x6 @ 3400lbs. Not only do I have a much safer rating for the 7,500lb trailer, it rides so much better, tracks better, has twice the tread depth vs the Endurance and so far with 15K virtually no wear at all. And I've seen none of the scrubbing wear I did on the endurance.

As for the sidewalls not being up to the task at hand, I'll call BS. These Falkens are AT and made for abuse at full load or aired down they'll take far more abuse than any ST tire, and in those conditions the sidewalls flex way more without failure.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Why would you have to derate the tires load capacity?
Apologies. I went looking for my source and turns out I was mis-remembering. P metric tires must be de-rated. LT tires are fine.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Apologies. I went looking for my source and turns out I was mis-remembering. P metric tires must be de-rated. LT tires are fine.

Correct, P rated tires are even derated on passenger vehicles. Basically anything with a CG higher than a sedan and they are only rated for 90% of their published load rating.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Suffice to say that I have tried all, first tires to make it through a full year on my TT since 2006..Suntek 14ply, G load and M speed rated. Still looking good, have not been popped.
Knock on wood.

I just bought a set of these Sunteks. Fingers crossed, first trip out is this weekend. Happy to hear you are happy w/yours.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I just bought a set of these Sunteks. Fingers crossed, first trip out is this weekend. Happy to hear you are happy w/yours.
They are heavy, and the side walls are crazy thick, tire guy said he had to help the machine mount them. They have been sturdy.

Users who are viewing this thread