Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Best' / most liked seat covers for 4.5 gen. Ram HD Crew cab ~ German Shepherd dog to join the family soon...

Green_mtnMan

Reaction score
Though I'm really rellishing the 'new car smell' & the dust free surfaces of my new Ram 3500 I am fatalistically practical in this regard ('new truck) ~ tis soon to be a thing of the past, lol... What I value more than pristine interiors is the companionship of my dog! That being said, (before my GSD pup arrives at the end of the mo.) what seat coverings do y'all suggest - based on durrability, aesthetics, dog hair etc. ? I do prefer the "OEM" look so leatherette / brush free surfaces are where I'm thinking....

yycdiesel

Reaction score
Also interested, recently got a girlfriend with a dog so its a matter of time for myself!

Been looking at the CARHARTT seat covers myself.

Green_mtnMan

Reaction score
Also interested, recently got a girlfriend with a dog so its a matter of time for myself!

Been looking at the CARHARTT seat covers myself.
I guess time will tell if your "got" ends up working out better for U w/ the girl or the dog, lol... (sorry, just the casual way you phrased 'getting' a g-friend made me laugh). I did see some Carhartt covers though they didn't look quite as snugly fitted as others doing a 'Google' pic search... I'm thinking that w/ dog hair a smooth vinyl type surface would be preferable... no?

I'd be interested to hear your $.02 on the below...

Last edited:

Distillusion

Reaction score
I don't let my dogs on the seats as a general rule. I train them to ride well. They learn early on to stay in the back of the cab. I get the trim options that give me a flat folding platform in the back seat area - big flat floor, with carpeting, and it's fairly easy to vacuum off fur. For long trips, I put a dog bed back there. For pups, I put a crate in there instead of letting them have free run of the back. You can also get a dog harness that connects to the LATCH connectors, keep the dog(s) from flying around in a fender bender.

Unless they're muddy, then I throw a tarp in, or put them in the bed. I have a Softopper shell that pops up in a minute, so if they're really dirty, I can at least get them home. And I strap down crates in the back when I know in advance they are going to be messy.

Overall, that folding platform that rests under the seats normally is the best option, as far as I'm concerned.

yycdiesel

Reaction score
I guess time will tell if your "got" ends up working out better for U w/ the girl or the dog, lol... (sorry, just the casual way you phrased 'getting' a g-friend made me laugh). I did see some Carhartt covers though they didn't look quite as snugly fitted as others doing a 'Google' pic search... I'm thinking that w/ dog hair a smooth vinyl type surface would be preferable... no?

I'd be interested to hear your $.02 on the below...

Well if you knew me you would know why i phrased it that way, #3 this year.. not a brag just a fact ha.

But they look good, i agree vinyal would be easier i just like carhartt over all.. unsure about fit though last truck had leatherette so it was easy for my detailer to clean.

Green_mtnMan

Reaction score
I don't let my dogs on the seats as a general rule. I train them to ride well. They learn early on to stay in the back of the cab. I get the trim options that give me a flat folding platform in the back seat area - big flat floor, with carpeting, and it's fairly easy to vacuum off fur. For long trips, I put a dog bed back there. For pups, I put a crate in there instead of letting them have free run of the back. You can also get a dog harness that connects to the LATCH connectors, keep the dog(s) from flying around in a fender bender.

Unless they're muddy, then I throw a tarp in, or put them in the bed. I have a Softopper shell that pops up in a minute, so if they're really dirty, I can at least get them home. And I strap down crates in the back when I know in advance they are going to be messy.

Overall, that folding platform that rests under the seats normally is the best option, as far as I'm concerned.
Sounds like a good system U have; we're all coming at this from diferent perspectives - I realize...

My German Shepherds have always sat 'loud & proud' (de-facto 'shotgun') in the front passenger seat; - should I have two legged passengers they have to ride in the back, lol... Just the way I roll...

(Obviously the dog hair gets all over the cabin so I'm definitely looking for front and rear seat covers)

(Tragically 'Anke Liede' only made it to 7 years due to a congenital heart defect - new pup 'Avita Liebe' from same breeder to come home to me on the 26th)
ALpond.jpg

Last edited:

Distillusion

Reaction score
Sounds like a good system U have; we're all coming at this from diferent perspectives - I realize...

My German Shepherds have always sat 'loud & proud' (de-facto 'shotgun') in the front passenger seat; - should I have two legged passengers they have to ride in the back, lol... Just the way I roll...

(Obviously the dog hair gets all over the cabin so I'm definitely looking for front and rear seat covers)

(Tragically 'Anke Liede' only made it to 7 years due to a congenital heart defect - new pup 'Avita Liebe' from same breeder to come home to me on the 26th)
View attachment 7099
Beautiful GSD! Sad for your loss. My family raised them for years, and I had many. Great dogs!

I used to do that but:

1. At 6'6" tall, I've always got my seat pushed to the back limits, and anytime I'm trying to look out the right window to see traffic, I had a big dog blocking the d***ed view. (Dobermans, German Shepherds, and Irish Wolfhounds. Take your pick, each one is the same as a barn door when you're trying to see THRU them, and I've had them all. :)

2. Friend of mine had his best bud, a Dane, go through the front window in a fender bender, not even a real hard accident. That was a nasty way for the dog to die. :( I don't want any of mine to go that way. I don't usually bother with the latch restraints and harness, but at least they have the front row of seats between them and the windshield. They're smaller than us and more easily damaged, even the really big ones.

3. If you think one in the front seat is bad, imagine 4, arguing about who gets the window. I always opt for the bucket seats, and that means only one large dog can even fit up front. And that leads to noisy disagreements I don't want to put up with.

4. The wife doesn't take it well if she opens the pax door and the dog we put in the back is facing back at her from her front seat. You'd think, humans bein' smarter and all, that it would be easier to train the wife. But it isn't. :) And speaking of noisy disagreements....

On a side note, I like training my dogs and working with them. It also scares the crap out of morons looking for trouble. Open the back door, quietly say "out, heel," and the dog(s) hop out and sit next to me. Then say "watch 'm." All eyes and ears facing the same direction I am. It seems to knock the wind out of some.

We have Belgian Tervurens now. This is our 3 yr old, a male.

View attachment 7116

Attachments

• DSC_0050_v1.JPG
    DSC_0050_v1.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 20

Jimmyj321

Reaction score
Though I'm really rellishing the 'new car smell' & the dust free surfaces of my new Ram 3500 I am fatalistically practical in this regard ('new truck) ~ tis soon to be a thing of the past, lol... What I value more than pristine interiors is the companionship of my dog! That being said, (before my GSD pup arrives at the end of the mo.) what seat coverings do y'all suggest - based on durrability, aesthetics, dog hair etc. ? I do prefer the "OEM" look so leatherette / brush free surfaces are where I'm thinking....
Bought a set of covers from Marathon Seatcovers. They are made for your truck and are of excellent quality. My first set were on a 2010 Ram and were still in excellent condition after 10 years. New set took about six weeks to get here but were well made and are not a lot of trouble to install. Recommend them highly. You will not be disappointed.

Shine006

Reaction score
Expensive but I got these because I needed something for the farm and my GSD. She goes everywhere with me. Mud, manure, diesel, gas and oil just bead up and wipe off.

Attachments

• 2D838B99-2DBB-44D3-9922-57540029C739.jpeg
    2D838B99-2DBB-44D3-9922-57540029C739.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 21

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
Ibuddy seat cover ... love the hammock style and our golden doesn’t get too grumpy with it. Would 100% recommend

Blkthrt

Reaction score
Just got to the forum. Loving my truck! To get down to business, I just ordered the carhartt covers and they ship soon so as soon as I get them in, there will be pictures taken

jadmt

Reaction score
Bought a set of covers from Marathon Seatcovers. They are made for your truck and are of excellent quality. My first set were on a 2010 Ram and were still in excellent condition after 10 years. New set took about six weeks to get here but were well made and are not a lot of trouble to install. Recommend them highly. You will not be disappointed.
I just ordered a rear seat cover from marathon seat covers. They told me they are about 10 weeks out on orders but when I told the my daughter lives in Bozeman they said they would start on them and they would be ready next week.

wjcook68

Reaction score
That is awesome jadmt. It just goes to show it isn't what you know, it is who you know. Lol

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I had posted in the past my back seat cover , that's heavy duty that I picked up at Costco and it matches my all black sport interror. The thing i didn't like about it was that it folded up behind our seats and created a barrier for the dogs off frtom getting any air conditioning. So I folded it under the rear seat for double the seat protection and I found this pet barrier for between the two front seats that's mesh and let's the air from the vents go through to the dogs, it was pricey for what it is, but the dogs needed more air, do its effective and looks good and matches up with the center console design well. Now it's not going to hold back a big dog trying to get up front at all, but small dogs and well behaved pets it will work perfectly. Before and after pics20200902_080936.jpg20200930_181652.jpg20200930_181757.jpg20200930_181829.jpg

psmura

Reaction score
I would check out Clazzio seat covers. I have a set in my Tacoma right now and they are very high quality for the money. Install hurts the fingers but its not that bad, fit looks OEM.

jadmt

Reaction score
That is awesome jadmt. It just goes to show it isn't what you know, it is who you know. Lol
picked them up last week and just installed them today. they are a really nice material and should dog proof my rear seats.868FA459-8DA0-4204-824A-9AB7DF1C6D05_1_201_a.jpeg

pionex_80

Reaction score
Mine came from Amazon. Both have worked very well for me. The back one is very heavy material and has worked very well so far. The fitment is tighter than I would have desired, but the seat is covered well. The front ones also have worked well. The driver side although has developed a crease that makes seating a bit uncomfortable but I think when I wash it and dry it, that crease will be gone. I deal with it for now.

FRONT SEAT - BarksBar Pet Front Seat Cover for Cars - Black, Waterproof & Nonslip Backing with Anchors, Quilted, Padded, Durable Pet Seat Covers for Cars, Trucks & SUVs - $18.00 for both front seats.

BACK SEAT - VIEWPETS Bench Car Seat Cover Protector - Waterproof, Heavy-Duty and Nonslip Pet Car Seat Cover for Dogs with Universal Size Fits for Cars, Trucks & SUVs - $34.00

Users who are viewing this thread