Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best deals Ram 3500 Hemis

Redfour5

Reaction score
I do searches on Cargurus just for the heck of it around various Hemi Builds. I looked at Ram 3500's Hemi's to see what was out there. IF you are doing searches, I recommend doing this. One is pull up the monroney by VIN number. You can do that here https://lancelhoff.com/how-to-get-ram-window-sticker-from-vin-number/ Go down the page to the "Get Ram Window Sticker." Then I also pull up the tow rating from the Ram site. You can get that here https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html/vin-lookup#/vin-lookup/3C63RRMJ5NG357050 Between these two, you will know what you are looking at. On Cargurus, you will need to do a national search by going to the distance from you site and hitting the nationwide button.

So, anyway, I did one this morning and you would be surprised at what you can find for very good deals on Ram 3500's with Hemi's. The Best deals are on Big Horns but there are a few Laramies also that are sometimes pretty tricked out for 70K or less with a few 2022's still available as of July 10, 2023. One thing I ran across was a few dually's at 70K or less. You want payload at around 6400 lbs?, Now is the time to buy. The main problem is max tow obviously because of the Hemi. They run from 16,500 to under 15,000 lbs. My 2500 has 15K max tow. But if you were looking at some 35 foot or less fifth wheels with massive payload, you could tow all day. And they kind of hide that it is a dually until you pull up the monroney even not showing most of them as duallys in the stock pics. You will pull one up and see all the stuff on it and be a bit surprised when you consider prices comparable or better than 2500's and then see it is a dually. You can tell that these are kind of unicorn trucks and there are only a few hundred across the country so you will likely have to travel if you want to get one, but some serious deals on a serious truck if you are OK with a reduced max tow... associated with the dually configuration and a Hemi. Of course you be owning a beast but hey, if that's what you want... I am always tempted with the wife who wants a big fifth wheel. I don't.

So, if you are retired or looking and bored, searching on Cargurus is fun with the other pages open. I prefer it over the other search engines, but to each their own. Keeping the monroney by vin page and the Ram tow capacity by vin pages open is a good way to peruse the national market.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Use case for a gasser dually is going to be limited, unless that's just what you want. Maybe as a welder/fab truck with 4000-5000 lbs worth of welder, generator, steel and tools in the bed. Payload is overkill for a 5th wheel.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Use case for a gasser dually is going to be limited, unless that's just what you want. Maybe as a welder/fab truck with 4000-5000 lbs worth of welder, generator, steel and tools in the bed. Payload is overkill for a 5th wheel.
I think you found the only true use for all that payload and not much to show for Max Tow. I actually saw something like that from NW Power Company here recently. It had everything on it including a tow set up welders, huge generator ON TOP of the side storage units. Even the biggest fifth wheel wouldn't touch that payload while likely exceeding max tow rating... But some of the deals are so good on those Unicorns you MIGHT be able to take the new Hemi out sell it and put a gently used Cummins in and SAVE money... But you better be really handy with a full shop available for free... Then leave the Hemi badges on while you tow 20 plus K and watch people's eyes bug out...

Last edited:

thenumbertwo

Reaction score
I'm actually in the market for a hemi dually. I haul a medium-ish sized slide in truck camper with my 2500 hemi and it just lacks the payload capacity. Add the tongue weight for our boat and that's close to maxing out the rear tires. I think the hemi has plenty of power for my needs, and the huge payload with a dually hemi will open up a lot of options for campers when we're ready to upgrade to a larger one in a few years. I'm looking at used trucks though, as I can't justify getting a brand new truck that will mostly just be used weekends for camping or towing our boat. If I can find a good deal on a used truck, we can afford a nice jeep that I can use as a daily driver and also flat tow behind the camper on trips. Finding a used hemi dually with the options I want hasn't been easy though, not too many on the market. Really want the 50 gallon tank, 4x4, 8 speed, and 4.10 gears. Also looking at Ford dually gassers, which seem even more scarce and more expensive. If I end up ordering something new, will probably go with a Ford though, as the 7.3 godzilla would be awesome.

Anyway, I have been checking cargurus daily for several weeks now, let me know if you see any good deals!

Redfour5

Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive... THIS is a killer deal with only 12K miles on it, set up to tow in my favorite color billet silver... It's in Columbus GA and way below listed value at $62,500 Here's the monroney (window sticker) https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=3C63RRLJ6NG269058 It's tow ratings from the RAM site are
MAX PAYLOAD LB
6,433( Disclosure2)

MAX TOWING LB
14,856( Disclosure2)

Car Gurus
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...distance=50000#listing=358787140/NONE/DEFAULT

Dealer listing I checked and this dealer has sort of a weird selection and this one wasn't online... He does have multiple duallys so for some reason is oriented in that direction. He still has a 2021 3500 dually Big Horn on the lot pretty loaded???? I don't even understand that... He has a couple other dually's but they are new and in the 100K range. So, as expected, this one either didn't last long or it might be worth a call IF you were interested. I'd call this dealer just out of curiousity asking about all the dually's... and what the deal is on that NEW 2021.

That is a killer price if you ware willing to travel. It is a five seater (middle console) but that's "my" preference. This one linked one new would be in the low to mid 80's new or higher. It's main downfall for you might be NOT having the bigger gas tank or the 4.10 gears, but imho those would NOT be deal stoppers... 3.73's work fine... I notice it has the smaller 8.4 inch "radio" but does have the alpine system. I actually prefer the smaller screen as it leaves more stuff analog. So far, I'm not all that happy with the new UConnect5 to be honest.

This is pretty much the way I went out and found my truck by doing the research online then being WILLING to drive or even fly to get one... It's about the ONLY way you will get a deal. Also, look at the incentives in your area IF you go far to buy. Each region has different incentives very often and the incentive for you is based upon where YOU live when you buy... It can sometimes be a few thousand bucks or a better Chrysler interest rate or length of terms on rates.

thenumbertwo

Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive... THIS is a killer deal with only 12K miles on it, set up to tow in my favorite color billet silver... It's in Columbus GA and way below listed value at $62,500 Here's the monroney (window sticker) https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=3C63RRLJ6NG269058 It's tow ratings from the RAM site are
MAX PAYLOAD LB
6,433( Disclosure2)

MAX TOWING LB
14,856( Disclosure2)

Car Gurus
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...distance=50000#listing=358787140/NONE/DEFAULT

Dealer listing I checked and this dealer has sort of a weird selection and this one wasn't online... He does have multiple duallys so for some reason is oriented in that direction. He still has a 2021 3500 dually Big Horn on the lot pretty loaded???? I don't even understand that... He has a couple other dually's but they are new and in the 100K range. So, as expected, this one either didn't last long or it might be worth a call IF you were interested. I'd call this dealer just out of curiousity asking about all the dually's... and what the deal is on that NEW 2021.

That is a killer price if you ware willing to travel. It is a five seater (middle console) but that's "my" preference. This one linked one new would be in the low to mid 80's new or higher. It's main downfall for you might be NOT having the bigger gas tank or the 4.10 gears, but imho those would NOT be deal stoppers... 3.73's work fine... I notice it has the smaller 8.4 inch "radio" but does have the alpine system. I actually prefer the smaller screen as it leaves more stuff analog. So far, I'm not all that happy with the new UConnect5 to be honest.

This is pretty much the way I went out and found my truck by doing the research online then being WILLING to drive or even fly to get one... It's about the ONLY way you will get a deal. Also, look at the incentives in your area IF you go far to buy. Each region has different incentives very often and the incentive for you is based upon where YOU live when you buy... It can sometimes be a few thousand bucks or a better Chrysler interest rate or length of terms on rates.

Yep, that mega cab is super nice and I've had it on my "saved" list since they first listed it. Even though it's a little over my budget, I've still been tempted by it because it would be perfect for the set up I have right now. But with the short bed, I'd be limited to what slide in camper I can get in the future because the ones I really want are meant for an 8 foot bed.

I've actually started branching out and including diesels in my search criteria since posting here though because what I've realized is that in the current used dually market, there isn't a huge difference in price between gas and diesel, at least once you look in the 60k-100k miles range. There are just so few gas drw trucks out there that they seem to go for more I guess. There is a 2019 3500 tradesman drw cummins with 5804 lb payload at a local dealer, so I may take a look at that. Looks like it was in a minor accident, has had at least 2 owners, and has had the oil pan replaced according to carfax, so I'm being a little cautious...

Redfour5

Reaction score
Over time, it has always appeared to me that the 6.4 3500's particularly in the dually's were some of the hidden gems for buyers of Rams. Over the years, I've seen numerous ones (well fewer than 10) at really discounted prices. It looks like people who want a dually 3500 mostly won't even consider a gasser and so they will sit on lots. As noted, dually's are even longer left on lots... Just an observation. A couple of times I was tempted if only by what you would get with such a low price. Then I slapped myself in the face and moved on. This was mostly pre-covid, but it still looks to be in play today... But, as noted, the gasser version is only for a specific type of buyer who wants massive payload for some reason and isn't too worried about mileage or max tow and is willing to go with 15K or so max tow. AND, you usually have to be willing to travel a long way to get them and drive back. I even called a couple of times and you could tell, mostly that the dealer was really hot to get rid of them.

Last weekend camping in the Spokane Valley I ran into a guy who had one (not a dually) same color as my 2500 who had a decent size fifth wheel in the 14K max tow range, short bed who absolutely loved it. He'd had diesels for years but when he and his wife retired he decided to go with the gasser as he didn't want to do DEF and the diesel issues of the present day anymore but wanted a fifth wheel that would exceed a 2500's capabilities. He had a very nice Arctic Fox. He said it did great towing and he loved how simple the gas was compared to his old diesels...except for mpg's. He and his wife were full timing for a few years before settling in a place they bought in Colorado. He was the classic Californian who sold a house he'd owned for 35 years for a fortune in like 2019 and was sitting on over a half million in equity. He'd sold his old house and bought his "toys" with an LLC in MT as we have no sales tax so his official home was MT until they decided to settle. He was renting the CO house until they decided to quit traveling. He said his timing had been great on all of it (pre-covid), but he noted the lack of sales tax in MT had allowed him to get what he wanted instead of settling on the truck and fifth wheel. I didn't ask about his bank balance...likely most went into the CO house I'm thinking.

Those Californians are starting to kill our housing market also... They sell 40 year old three bedroom ranchers for a million bucks, then move to MT and it's all so "cheap" out here that they don't care what they pay raising the housing prices out of the reach of normal people here. My house AND property taxes have gone up in four years from 407K to 626K. I bought it for 260K in 2012. I doubt seriously anyone would pay 626K so, I just get to keep absorbing the increases in property taxes that themselves have gone up like 300 bucks a month since 2012. But I digress...

I want to do what that guy did but can't get my wife to retire. And so, I'm looking at a truck similar to his and what you seem to be looking at. But I'm in no hurry...

Last edited:

Jacob

Reaction score
The hemi dually would be sweet for a service truck or truck camper.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Yes, you nailed it. If you put those specs in to Cargurus and look nationally, you see a lot of the 3500 gassers are 22's and already set up versions of "service trucks" for various trades they WANT to get rid of... I just saw a NEW national forest version in that classic national forest service/parks green (Ram sells as a special color if you want it) set up as a fire truck. It was a crew cab and really nice. Relatively basic inside but not totally basic. It was a 3500 dually Tradesman 6.4. I also keep looking at the national forest auctions (all brands) out here in the west that pop up where you can get a well maintained (over its life) if also well used beater truck. So far, no luck but see em in the parking lots and talk to the guys who own them and they ALWAYS have big grins on their faces...

thenumbertwo

Reaction score
The ultimate rig for a truck camper would have some type of service body or flatbed with storage boxes where a pickup's bed sides usually go. This mitigates one of the main cons of having a truck camper, which is lack of storage. Sherptek and some other companies make some really nice ones but they're not cheap.

BaseBD

Reaction score
I have a 3500 DRW with the hemi. We have a big truck camper on it and tow a trailer with us. I am right at 14K on the truck all loaded up and about 21.5K lbs when you include the trailer. Its heavy and a Cummins would handle it better but I didn't want to be 1,000 + lbs over payload on the truck itself. I have done a few long trips across the western US I target 68-70 mph and hand calculated over 10K long haul miles I have been averaging 7.3-7.5 each trip. Wont scream up the mountain and you have to go a little slower down the backside without the exhaust brake. Long term i'd like to get into a 5500 with a flat bed, but those are more than I want to spend at this point for a dedicated rig.

Last edited:

Grateful Dad

Reaction score

Redfour5

Reaction score
@Redfour5 and @thenumbertwo, check this one out! I want the grab this one so bad………

It has the Aisin, 4.44’s, and 52 gallon tank in the rear!
Payload 7,010 lbs
Max tow 17,841 lbs

That is an unusual truck. It is a good deal at those low miles essentially new, but it was a very good deal at MSRP of 73K and change. Must have been an early 2022 unit would be my guess. If that sits for a week or two with little interest, I'd bet the dealer would go . A pretty much loaded Laramie dually but with the back deck instead of a bed. I would have expected a Trademan or Big Horn as the base truck. So, it has lots of bells and whistles. Neat...IF that's what you need or could use. All you need is one of these and you are set. https://genyhitch.com/product-category/gooseneck-torsion-flex-couplers/

It would be neat if there was some kind of modular system so you could put easily removable storage on the deck or side walls, short even for like loads of lumber...

You ought to be able to tow a big fifth wheel with that... Well, not too big as you do give up max tow with the 6.4, but get some serious payload.

Last edited:

jsalbre

Reaction score
That is an odd ball truck. You don’t see 3500 chassis cabs very often. It also has the “Red Seatbelts” option (which I didn’t even know was an option, must be a CC thing) and while I think it’s cool it looks a bit out of place with the black, tan, silver, and “wood” interior of the Laramie.

Redfour5

Reaction score
That is an odd ball truck. You don’t see 3500 chassis cabs very often. It also has the “Red Seatbelts” option (which I didn’t even know was an option, must be a CC thing) and while I think it’s cool it looks a bit out of place with the black, tan, silver, and “wood” interior of the Laramie.
AND a 6.4 Hemi only throws it more into the "odd ball" truck.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Ya, not a fan of the red seatbelts, didn’t know that was an option either until I found that truck. This rig is one of the most oddball spec’d I’ve ever seen.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Ya, not a fan of the red seatbelts, didn’t know that was an option either until I found that truck. This rig is one of the most oddball spec’d I’ve ever seen.
I did some digging and it’s apparently only an option on CC trucks. My guess is it’s to make the seatbelt more visible? I dunno, I can’t think of any other reason. It’s not like it’s a sports car.

Users who are viewing this thread