Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best color choice to hide dirt?

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I love my white 4Runner. Still looks new to this day. Can't see any light or swirly scratches on it. I was planning on getting the Power Wagon in white as well, till the wife said something along the lines of "You can't get white, it'll look like a city-utilities truck."

Ended up with Olive Green, and I will say, it does hide dirt pretty well. We'll see how it ages, but I'm rather happy with it so far.
Im sorry, I was in the Army, and Olive Drab (OD Green) will never be my choice. I'm not knocking your choice of color, but it kinda goes with my last post on this subject.

BroKV

Reaction score
White here, hides the Arizona dust well. But when it rains, dark muddy spots all over it. Since I bought it in May it has rained more than it has the last few years combined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

el_barto

Reaction score
I’ve had light-silver cars in the past and they looked “clean” even if covered in dust and winter grime. My last truck was black and it looked filthy 10 minutes after driving from the car wash. My current truck is white, it hides the dirt pretty well but probably not quite as well as silver. Scratches and swirl marks conceal pretty well, and it also gives off “work truck” vibes so it’s kind of “who cares if it’s dirty and scratched”

mcarey

Reaction score
Im sorry, I was in the Army, and Olive Drab (OD Green) will never be my choice. I'm not knocking your choice of color, but it kinda goes with my last post on this subject.
I get that. I can't think of many things I've done less than be around military vehicles.

In my life, I see a green vehicle maybe one a week. Less if I'm not golfing.

Last edited:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I looked up that color, its not bad, OD green with a shine. :cool:

mcarey

Reaction score
I looked up that color, its not bad, OD green with a shine. :cool:
I love it, personally. Has a nice dark color in the shade and an almost gold color when it's in the sun. Don't see a lot of vehicles like it. Quite refreshing compared to my white 4runner.

SL1

Reaction score
I say the dessert tan like Gottarun shows above. Ive had white also and it hid everything well. My dessert tan ford was a 6.9 diesel so it was a while back and it was a work truck(factory color). I bet I didn't wash that truck 20 times the whole time I had it. I used the heck out of that truck and it had a hard life but it looked good when I washed it and sold it. Its amazing what a protective layer of dirt will do! This time around I couldn't resist the patriot blue...so pretty.

QuattroCS

Reaction score
The first thought i had when i read the title was

"Is clean a color?"

I would agree that it depends on the region/area/color of said dirt.

White may hide some dirt color, but i don't think it would hide mud color. I think the Sand color or a shade lighter/darker would do the most benefit generally. except for that GA clay. not sure any of the reds would hide that.
I have heard some testimonials that ceramic coats have less of a tendency to "hold" on to dirt/dust. Not sure that has been properly documented/verified.

Jsboening

Reaction score
I’d go white again because it hides dirt and dust fairly well and touching up the paint is way easier to get a good match because there is no metallic flake in it.

SeaBee-1

Reaction score
White all day. I used to think it was plain. But with some black and chrome I think it looks sharp and clean always. Even 20yrs later as my 02’ was. The 22 is coming in white!

Silver is okay, but is the most invisible color on the road, more accidents due to that.

unclelala

Reaction score
I’d go white again because it hides dirt and dust fairly well and touching up the paint is way easier to get a good match because there is no metallic flake in it.
To each there own but IMO any color with metallic flake is much more pleasing to the eye especially when clean and detailed granted it might take a little effort but worth it in my mind.

jebruns

Reaction score
White for sure. Plain as heck, even in the pearl coats, but for sure hides normal everyday dirt better. I have a pearl white car right now, and a black Ram 2500. Love the Black, but it's a labor of love keeping it clean. Had to think hard about it when I ordered my new truck back in March, but went with Black again. It just looks so damn good when it's clean.

Aketay

Reaction score
White, it hides dirt…….but I did have a 2009 that was khaki tan that looked like the picture below.

Attachments

• 2F71025E-3C02-457A-9172-C8A6795E72AF.jpeg
    2F71025E-3C02-457A-9172-C8A6795E72AF.jpeg
    459.7 KB · Views: 21

Nick

Reaction score
White . Not the most head turning color but one of the most forgiving when dirty and the coolest when it is hot . Much easier to spot bugs and bird crap etc .

Redfour5

Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Laramie 3500 here that both my wife and I will be driving (she hauls horses). We live on a dirt road and the barn she runs is also on a dirt road. Needless to say, the truck will see some dirt every day. I currently have a 2500 in black and it is terrible obviously to try and keep looking clean. For the new truck, we have been debating on what color to go with. From what I read, the Billet Silver or White seems like a good choice to hide dirt, but she doesn't care much at all for those colors.

We are now looking at either Granite Crystal with color matched bumpers or a two toned Flame Red / Billet Silver combo. Would I regret either of those? I'm sure I'll be more likely to get more car washes with a brand new truck, but I don't want to deal with dirt like I currently do on my black truck. Would granite crystal or flame red/silver show dirt bad? Any other better options to hide dirt besides white/silver?
No No No on Granite Crystal... We have a Cherokee Elite with the jeep blackout package in that and it is the most beautiful color there is...for 15 minutes after you wash it then it becomes a dirtball. I have a Renegade as my daily driver in Colorado Red and it's OK. I have a Billet Silver 2500 Laramie and it is the best of the bunch on dirt hiding or not being noticable in my opinion. I've had a white 2013 1500 and it was surprisingly good but I think it was more just getting used to it. Regular everyday dust dirt, no biggy, light off roading, mud, noticeable...

Redfour5

Reaction score
Flame red hides the SoCal dirt pretty well. It just loses some of its pop and starts looking more Rorange. My truck gets dirty pretty fast but I always try to avoid mud if I can.
"Rorange" LMAO

Redfour5

Reaction score
I get that. I can't think of many things I've done less than be around military vehicles.

In my life, I see a green vehicle maybe one a week. Less if I'm not golfing.
Ram has a color that I call National Forest Service Green. I think it is actually the color they use when they sell them to the National Forest Service. We have lots of auctioned off ones from various manufacturers here in MT as Nat Forest Service auctions them off after around 40K miles or more and they become beaters mostly and most of them have already been beaten but well maintained... Surprisingly, my wife loves that color and I'm OK with it and like I said we see them quite often up here in Helena MT in that color but NOT new or tricked out ever. They actually do very well in not showing dirt. I almost went and bought one in LaPorte Indiana (originally from there could combine visit with purchase) as it checked all my boxes. They have now been on the lot there since like January and they are getting desperate to get rid of them.

Here's one... You can get em cheap pretty well equipped if you are willing to drive to LaPorte Indiana right now...like 61K for a Big Horn including the tech package for towing in 6.4 Hemi, console 12 inch screen...LED light package. They have like six of them identical. A very decent deal...if you are OK with the color. https://www.laportechrysler.net/new/Ram/2022-Ram-2500-La-Porte-dd4c61420a0e09b02c75419ef37ef4d8.htm

Users who are viewing this thread