Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Below Bed Transfer Tank or Aux Tank Conversion

Scott C

Reaction score
Either my Google-fu is weak, it is illegal, or no one has ever tried this, since I can't find anything about it anywhere on the internet. We are converting over from diesel GM 3500s to diesel Ram 4500 84CAs with 13' flatbeds, need some extra fuel for external vehicles/equipment, but are trying to maximize our flatbed deck space at the same time. We can get the 4500s with the 22 gallon midship tank or use TransferFlow 50 gallon midship tanks, but both are auxiliary tanks and we need transfer tanks. TransferFlow has a kit to convert two of their 40 and 50 gallon auxiliary tank/tool boxes to an aux and transfer tank, but those are still for above the bed tanks. Anyone have any thoughts or ever hear of anyone converting a below the bed auxiliary tank to a transfer tank by installing a transfer pump and hose assembly?

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help, Enduraplas poly tidy tanks. The most compact one is 32’X27’X20’‘ 25gal. Might fit between cab and whees? They are self contained and come in a few configurations.

MSundet

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help, Enduraplas poly tidy tanks. The most compact one is 32’X27’X20’‘ 25gal. Might fit between cab and whees? They are self contained and come in a few configurations.

Very interested in this. I still can’t get over a below 30 gal. Tank on a Diesel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott C

Reaction score
I have looked at removable/temporary options like the Fuel Boss and Truckmaster that we could remove when hauling hay, feed, or equipment and this is an option if we can't figure out a below deck solution. Here is a picture of the TransferFlow 50 gallon midship tank and the 22 gallon midship tank that is a Ram option on their 2020+ cab and chassis trucks. The idea is to install the 50 gallon aux tank in place of the 22 gallon tank and plumb in the filler neck as normal. Instead of connecting it as an auxiliary tank where it is plumbed into the trucks fuel supply system, we would install a pump and hose assembly for a transfer tank. An option could also be a quick connect fitting for the hose so the hose could be stored in one of the underbody boxes.
1611418456029.png1611418524509.png

SMK Shoe

Reaction score
They do make some of the aux/transfer tanks really thin. The one I added is 45 gallons and only eats up 9 1/2" of bed space

Scott C

Reaction score
I found one like you mentioned that is quite narrow and we will probably look at something like that if we can't get something below the deck.

Users who are viewing this thread