Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Shenanigan Ideas

BoatieTX

Reaction score
Ok... I have an idea. Scary in its own right as my wife would say, but here goes. Here is a quick list of things I want to install, modify, make fit in the bed of the truck.

1. Decked
2. Fuel Cell
3. Topper Lift
4. Topper
Idea basis: Rectangular transfer fuel tank (30-50g) mounted and t'd into stock fuel neck. Link for general reference (RDS Tank). Then install and modify a short bed decked system from a 1500 5'7". Based on reading through the installation manual and speaking with an installation tech at Decked, this will be fairly straight forward. The kicker is I want to add a Topper Lift. I am thinking that I will be able to utilize the ammo cans on the Decked to achieve decent placement without compromising the structural integrity. My other idea is to have side opening windows on the topper for refueling purposes. LOL

I was digging around on the net for some pictures because I can't be the first knucklehead that couldn't leave well enough alone.

Thoughts, ideas, Or any other soul crushing comments... Ha

- Jason

Metternacht

Reaction score
Is the purpose of the topper lift just to fill the aux tank? if so why not just plumb a fuel filler neck into the side of the topper with locking door etc?

BoatieTX

Reaction score
That is exactly what I am thinking. I don't plan on sleeping in the back at this time, though with the lifter there would be a bit more flexibility to do so. I considered your idea. I am shying away from it simply from a 'clean' look standpoint, but not ruled out completely. That is essentially why I haven't been able to get onboard with RSI Smartcap, though functionally it is amazing.

BoatieTX

Reaction score
Nice. I had just found the ICKY molle panels over on NH Overland. I like the idea of that. I am crazy OCD when it comes to things being in their "place". Plus organization is a good thing if your going to be living out of the rig for any amount of time.

jeffn

Reaction score
It is going to smell under the bed cap with a fuel tank installed in there.

BoatieTX

Reaction score
When thinking of the bedslide.... I might fab up some tabs to support a molle in front of the fuel tank. Be able to bring the back of the bed to me so to speak.

BoatieTX

Reaction score
It is going to smell under the bed cap with a fuel tank installed in there.
I know. I have been thinking about that a lot.... More and more to consider. Fun to try and work out the details.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
How much extra fuel do you want? You could just go with one of the aftermarket 50G replacement tanks under the bed. Then get a regular Decked system and topper.

Metternacht

Reaction score
or go with the spare tire tank from Titan if you are upsizing your tires and the new spare wont fit there.

BoatieTX

Reaction score
or go with the spare tire tank from Titan if you are upsizing your tires and the new spare wont fit there.
I am considering that as an option. If I remember correctly, the Titan hangs down 2-3" over the stock tank. A bit concerned about that and travelling more difficult trails... But open to hearing about folks experiences.

BoatieTX

Reaction score
How much extra fuel do you want? You could just go with one of the aftermarket 50G replacement tanks under the bed. Then get a regular Decked system and topper.
That was exactly my first idea. Hang down of the aftermarket tank is all that I could think of that might dissuade me. Any members rolling with an aftermarket replacement tank like a Titan?? Any issues overlanding?

Users who are viewing this thread