Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Cover Rails Falling Off

Landon1974

Reaction score
Anyone else having issues keeping tonneau cover rails attached to the plastic covers on top of the bed rails? I bought a rough country hard tri fold bed cover and it is constantly coming loose. 2022 Big Horn

sstoner911

Reaction score
Anyone else having issues keeping tonneau cover rails attached to the plastic covers on top of the bed rails? I bought a rough country hard tri fold bed cover and it is constantly coming loose. 2022 Big Horn
You referring to the clamps? I have a Gator Soft cover and it never comes loose....it doesnt attach to the top of the plastic however. It fits inside the bed rails.

The1adman

Reaction score
You referring to the clamps? I have a Gator Soft cover and it never comes loose....it doesnt attach to the top of the plastic however. It fits inside the bed rails.
I am considering this cover. Do you have clearance issues with the 5th wheel king pin and the rails sitting inside the bed rails?

Landon1974

Reaction score

The 6 clamps won’t grab onto the plastic piece of the bed top that they are supposed to attach to. They have continually fallen off since I got the cover and I was too stupid to return it within the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sstoner911

Reaction score
I am considering this cover. Do you have clearance issues with the 5th wheel king pin and the rails sitting inside the bed rails?
No clearance issues. I also have 2 Titan Trekker 50 gallon tanks up front. I will say the water that gets in to the bed during rain or car washes is almost none as well.

20220606_164240.jpg20220606_164234.jpg

sstoner911

Reaction score
The 6 clamps won’t grab onto the plastic piece of the bed top that they are supposed to attach to. They have continually fallen off since I got the cover and I was too stupid to return it within the window.

There is a meal lip part of the bed that is also there...be sure you are clamping to that as well.

Landon1974

Reaction score
There is a meal lip part of the bed that is also there...be sure you are clamping to that as well.

Yes, the metal lip has plastic on both sides. The problem I am seeing is the parts tend to deform a bit before they are tight and/or the metal bracket slips off of the lip. I am seriously considering drilling a few holes or industrial double sided taping the rails to the plastic bed top. Though I don’t like either of those options.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Yes, the metal lip has plastic on both sides. The problem I am seeing is the parts tend to deform a bit before they are tight and/or the metal bracket slips off of the lip. I am seriously considering drilling a few holes or industrial double sided taping the rails to the plastic bed top. Though I don’t like either of those options.

My clamps are a little different - I torque them down with a small impart drill slightly and they have not loosened on me in 16K miles. How do those rough country clamps adjust to get a tighter hold?

Screenshot_20220606-165751_Gallery.jpg

Landon1974

Reaction score
My clamps are a little different - I torque them down with a small impart drill slightly and they have not loosened on me in 16K miles. How do those rough country clamps adjust to get a tighter hold?

View attachment 39141

Storming here now, I will get a pic of the clamp mounted and post it tomorrow.

The1adman

Reaction score
No clearance issues. I also have 2 Titan Trekker 50 gallon tanks up front. I will say the water that gets in to the bed during rain or car washes is almost none as well.

View attachment 39139View attachment 39140
Thanks, I am looking at putting a fuel tank tool box comb in front which is why I am looking at this cover for access. I have read a few complaints about the rear of the pin box making contact with the aluminum rail protruding a couple inches into the truck bed from the rail. Nice looking set up.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Thanks, I am looking at putting a fuel tank tool box comb in front which is why I am looking at this cover for access. I have read a few complaints about the rear of the pin box making contact with the aluminum rail protruding a couple inches into the truck bed from the rail. Nice looking set up.

The Pin box is at the lowest setting - I have not needed to raise it so it may hit the rail if it was at the highest setting. It would depend on what brand you are running I guess...I see some of the B&W ones that seem to sit higher maybe. I wanted a fuel/tool box combo but they all sit really high IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread