Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Cap + Vertical Spare Tire Mount

JamesEvan

Reaction score
Currently have a RSI SmartCap on order and was wondering if anyone has or knows if a 37" R17 would fit vertically in their bed with a cap on. Looking to set something up that is similar to the AEV mount. Looking to gain some more space by mounting it vertically if possible vs laying it flat and don't want to mount it on the tailgate.

ShadowMTN

Reaction score
Currently have a RSI SmartCap on order and was wondering if anyone has or knows if a 37" R17 would fit vertically in their bed with a cap on. Looking to set something up that is similar to the AEV mount. Looking to gain some more space by mounting it vertically if possible vs laying it flat and don't want to mount it on the tailgate.

I have seen the AEV carrier in a couple toppers. However you might want to call their support and ask them. I would imagine that someone has already asked them about this since the SmartCaps are pretty popular. From their site.

Careful attention was also paid to ensure that the overall height of the mount and tire would be compatible with the installation of most aftermarket toppers. AEV’s Vertical Tire Mount also features additional provisions for accessories such as a sand flag or CB antenna, as well as a convenient spot to hold a shovel. E-coated and powder coated for maximum protection against the elements and proudly made in the USA.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

Mounting it vertically will keep you from ever installing a bedslide in the back. I don't think I'd own another cap without a bedslide. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread