Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be Warned..AlfaOBD and Warranty issues

Itsa Hemi

Reaction score
I posted a thread a while back concerning the ANC in my new '22 RAM 2500 Laramie. I followed advice from other members here on how to disable it. First, I did the mic bypass cable. Did not work. Still had the rumble, grinding ANC noise.
Then I bought the security bypass cable and alfaOBD. I went into the body control computer and found the ANC setting, clicking to disable it. ANC was still there, louder than ever. OK...It has to be a defective ANC module in the amplifier.

I take the truck to the dealer. It has 2K on it. I made the MISTAKE of telling the tech the steps I had taken to stop the ANC, and I believe the ANC module in the amplifier was defective, requesting it be replaced. The tech tells me there was nothing he could do, as the ANC is built in and can't be disabled. I then tell him about this forum, and ANC had been successfully disabled in other trucks, and trucks like mine with faulty ANC modules had to have the amplifier replaced. It fell on deaf ears.

I then called Fiat corporate and opened a case. I was told they wouldn't address the issue because I had "Modified" the truck by changing the parameter in the body control computer to deactivate the ANC. Nothing I said had any impact with either the dealer or Fiat corporate.
They blew me off.

So...Be warned. You guys changing things with AlfaOBD can run into some problems if you have to go in for warranty work. They will use it as an excuse to refuse the service because you "Modified" the computer.

I've ordered a new amplifier on my own for $389.00. (Harmon Cardon system).

In the interest of being civil on an open forum, I'll refrain from voicing my true feelings on the matter concerning both the dealership and Fiat corporate's "customer service".
A load of bovine excrement.

Anyway...Heads up.

Yillbs

Reaction score
So you probably won't want to hear this, but nothing you did or can do will void any warranty, in your case though, you told them what you did, which of course implies you caused the issue.

Take it to a different dealer, don't mention this forum, or anything you tried to do to fix it, tell them it's defective and it needs to be fixed, and leave it at that. the best rule of thumb is to not lie, but never volunteer information, speaking to the dealers is like talking to cops, everything you say will be used against you.

Itsa Hemi

Reaction score
No..I hear you. I thought I was helping the tech by telling him what I had done already to help him come to the same conclusion I had.
A different dealer probably won't matter. The whole issue is in the corporate computer now. When the truck goes in for anything now, all this info will come up when they plug the truck into their computer.
I'm screwed.

Yillbs

Reaction score
No..I hear you. I thought I was helping the tech by telling him what I had done already to help him come to the same conclusion I had.
A different dealer probably won't matter. The whole issue is in the corporate computer now. When the truck goes in for anything now, all this info will come up when they plug the truck into their computer.
I'm screwed.
Naw, even if that were the case, which it's not, they can only deny the direct relationship to what you caused. So if you say you messed with the ANC module, then when the steering wheel controls stop working, they can't say you did that. Best case scenario they deny this one claim ( on you ), but in the future, they can't really do that. If they do, you just have to stay the course and tell them no. Unfortunately, easier said than done lol.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm screwed.

Look up the magson moss act…

Riddick

Reaction score
Dealers seem to look for anything to get them out of warrantying any work, this is ridiculous. I read a post on here where a dealer tried to deny a customer a new engine because he could not provide documentation for oil changes. Luckily, his warranty ended up covering his new engine but whats the point of a warranty these days? You have to wait for weeks to get an appointment to have your vehicle looked at, chances are the part is on backorder and it will be another month before it comes in. Then you have to hope and pray you get a tech that knows what they are doing and will perform the job correct.

Op, sorry to hear about your dealer experience. I hope this does not impact future warranty work if you need it. As mentioned above Magnuson Moss Act should cover you if they attempt to deny you future warranty work.

Itsa Hemi

Reaction score
I'm familiar with Magnuson. It's not worth going to war over THIS issue. I'll bite the bullet on this one and fix it myself.
I was wanting to give anyone else a heads up when dealing with dealer service, or worse, FCA corporate. They'll screw you if you give them the chance.

bamorris2

Reaction score
Sorry to say, but I think the warning here is about TELLING the dealer and manufacturer that you used an unapproved device to alter your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm familiar with Magnuson. It's not worth going to war over THIS issue. I'll bite the bullet on this one and fix it myself.
I was wanting to give anyone else a heads up when dealing with dealer service, or worse, FCA corporate. They'll screw you if you give them the chance.

Sorry you had to learn this lesson, but you gave them the chance when you admitted to modifying the truck. reminds me of the old saying, "Loose lips sink ships." Also "No good deed goes unpunished." comes to mind.

Thanks for warning others. That said, first rule of fight club. Now the dealer potentially has their guard up with others.

jadmt

Reaction score
the MM act is not worth the paper it is printed on when push comes to shove. I hear it cited all the time but it is a joke. basically it says the dealer can't void the warranty on your radio if you use a K&N air filter.....however if you use a K&N air filter and your engine craps out you are in for a fight and most of us don't have the coin to go to war over it.

Users who are viewing this thread