Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Saver Mode

davis2

Reaction score
I started a thread down in 4th gen, but like a tree falling in the woods, nobody saw or heard it... In colder weather,(below 35) when I start my truck (when cold) it goes into battery saver mode. The batteries test good on a load tester, but is anyone here familiar with battery saver mode? If i let the truck run a bit, shut off and re-start, saver mode goes off. Just seems to be a nuisance for now, but I'd like to know what it is. The service manager at the dealership where I bought it wasn't forthcoming with ANY info... I took it to by good friend's garage, but the police had just left as they were burglarized the night before... He did load test it though...

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I had that happen the first winter when I had my 2015 1500. After lots of research, head scratching and a few unsuccessful trips to the dealer, I put a trickle charger on the battery (which had also tested to be fine) and gave it a good full charge. From that point forward, never had it happen again.

From what I remember of the internet forum conversations at the time, the general consensus was that the charging system couldn't get things back up to full charge once it was depleted past a certain point (presumably while on the dealer lot).

I'd check all of your connections to ensure there is no corrosion building up anywhere and give it a good charge to see if that improves things.

davis2

Reaction score
I had that happen the first winter when I had my 2015 1500. After lots of research, head scratching and a few unsuccessful trips to the dealer, I put a trickle charger on the battery (which had also tested to be fine) and gave it a good full charge. From that point forward, never had it happen again.

From what I remember of the internet forum conversations at the time, the general consensus was that the charging system couldn't get things back up to full charge once it was depleted past a certain point (presumably while on the dealer lot).

I'd check all of your connections to ensure there is no corrosion building up anywhere and give it a good charge to see if that improves things.
My mechanic (not the dealer) suggested a solar trickle charger that plugs in to a cigarette lighter type socket. I intend to do that. But I'm looking at the why. I'll get back to my friend's shop, but I just had surgery, so I'm not traveling much.

Users who are viewing this thread