Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery replacement 2020 Cummins

NewRAMOwner

Reaction score
First post here, and it's probably a softball question for most owners, but I'm not the most mechanical, so appreciate any advice. My batteries have died after sitting for about 3-4 weeks (wife battling cancer & is post stroke), so haven't been driving my truck. In any event, I'm not getting enough power to crank her up, so figured - good time to replace the batteries. I have a good understanding on how to replace and the order of operations of disconnecting and reconnecting, I'm just curious on what will happen to my EVIC system & U-Connect? And if I'll have any additional actions to take once the batteries have been changed out? Thanks in advance.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Sucks for this to happen when your no feeling well. I think your settings are saved while changing the batteries but totally sure. Someone on here will know the proper answer.

jabartram

Reaction score
When you replace them, if you have a factory alarm it might activate, just have keys handy to deactivate, all other mentioned items will be fine. Radio(Uconnect) and Evic have built in memory saver. you might have to set clock and radio stations.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It may take several key cycles for the truck to recognize any options after the batteries are replaced. Things like heated/cooled seats, folding mirrors, etc.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
FYI, many auto parts stores will do the battery swap for you in the parking lot and take the cores off of your hands at no extra charge. Well, around here, anyway. I'd call around and see if any offer that in your area and if so jumpstart your truck and head on over. My local tire shop where I do business offers this service.

NewRAMOwner

Reaction score
When you replace them, if you have a factory alarm it might activate, just have keys handy to deactivate, all other mentioned items will be fine. Radio(Uconnect) and Evic have built in memory saver. you might have to set clock and radio stations.
Great news, thanks!

NewRAMOwner

Reaction score
FYI, many auto parts stores will do the battery swap for you in the parking lot and take the cores off of your hands at no extra charge. Well, around here, anyway. I'd call around and see if any offer that in your area and if so jumpstart your truck and head on over. My local tire shop where I do business offers this service.
Yeah, most around my area have stopped installing due to liability. I went with Walmart delivery since I can't leave the wife for long. Thanks for the suggestion though. Hoping i can pull off the replacement myself, and appreciate everyone's positive feedback and great advice.

Kldugas

Reaction score
Just changed mine. No issues (U-conn, radio, Alpha OBD changes) other than needing a extra long extension to reach the bolt in the securing wedges. Also the battery terminals themselves can be a bit tough. I found that taking off the wires from the (brick) and allowing the terminal to be removed with the battery and then getting in a better position to remove was easiest. Also if you you care about the insulation around the batteries be a bit gentle while removing, it tends to get hung up on everything and tears easily.

NewRAMOwner

Reaction score
Just changed mine. No issues (U-conn, radio, Alpha OBD changes) other than needing a extra long extension to reach the bolt in the securing wedges. Also the battery terminals themselves can be a bit tough. I found that taking off the wires from the (brick) and allowing the terminal to be removed with the battery and then getting in a better position to remove was easiest. Also if you you care about the insulation around the batteries be a bit gentle while removing, it tends to get hung up on everything and tears easily.
I still ain't got at the job, as I can't leave the wife alone to knock it out. On one of the warmer days I'll wheel her out there while I do it. I have about a 10" extension, is that long enough? Thanks for the reply and feedback! I sincerely appreciate it.

Kldugas

Reaction score
I still ain't got at the job, as I can't leave the wife alone to knock it out. On one of the warmer days I'll wheel her out there while I do it. I have about a 10" extension, is that long enough? Thanks for the reply and feedback! I sincerely appreciate it.
Yes 10" is plenty long enough. Wishing the best for your wife!

NewRAMOwner

Reaction score
Virginia Beach, but I'll be good. But I sure do appreciate the caring, helpful and informative feedback. Thanks again.

NewRAMOwner

Reaction score
Well, I cant help you at the moment but my wife received orders to Langley AFB and we will be there in July. If you have any issues this summer don't hesitate to reach out. I'm always down to help others out and my kids love the beach!!
Thanks, I'm retired Navy myself and have been making that Hampton trip daily in her little hatch-back Hyundai as she's been receiving Proton Therapy at Hampton University. They're building a new HRBT Tunnel if ya didn't know.. that should eventually make your time there a bit better. Thanks again for the offer, and thank you and your wife for your service.

NewRAMOwner

Reaction score
Well I knocked out the battery replacements today! It went really well with the exception of now my cameras aren't working. Blue screen with message stating camera system is not operational or something like that. I didn't note any other issues. Did I do something wrong? Or will the cameras reset? Thanks in advance and thanks for all the expert advice! The passenger side battery is a tight a tight one, I'm 6'4" I had to break out a step ladder to get leverage to place it.

Update - Everything is back online working as appropriate. Just had to wait for the system to update apparently. Thanks again.

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
Well I knocked out the battery replacements today! It went really well with the exception of now my cameras aren't working. Blue screen with message stating camera system is not operational or something like that. I didn't note any other issues. Did I do something wrong? Or will the cameras reset? Thanks in advance and thanks for all the expert advice! The passenger side battery is a tight a tight one, I'm 6'4" I had to break out a step ladder to get leverage to place it.

Update - Everything is back online working as appropriate. Just had to wait for the system to update apparently. Thanks again.
Yep many systems take a bit to reboot after totally killing the batteries or disconnecting them both.

jmcdermo

Reaction score
When you say the systems take awhile to reboot after replacing the batteries, how long do you mean? I replaced both batteries today on my 2019 2500 Cummins w/ air suspension and now the air suspension “app” isn’t on the 12in screen and the suspension settings are missing. It’s a 30 min drive home from the battery store and things hadn’t come back by the time I got home. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flan

Reaction score
I haven’t dealt with it personally, but others have said up to a day.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Praying for you and your wife OP. Hope things get better for you.

When I did my battery it took a few hours for my radio/display to return to normal. All was fine after that.

Users who are viewing this thread