Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Drain - How Quickly?

Dave01

Reaction score
I was away for 8 days and when I got back the truck was completely dead, not a click from locks or anything else. I jumped it, ran it for a good long while, and no problem daily driving since. 2021 6.4 with 40,000 miles on original battery. Weather was 45-55 at night, 55-65 during the day so no cold weather impact.

I'm certainly familiar with newer vehicles and the effect of electronics draining the battery. But I've had no issues leaving a vehicle for even 3 weeks and then getting in and starting it up, might feel the hesitation of a partially drained battery but no problem turning over. I was really surprised to find it completely dead after 8 days.

I may change out the battery before winter with something new with more cca and reserve capacity, but was curious if anyone else has seen theirs go dead after such a short interval.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I was away for 8 days and when I got back the truck was completely dead, not a click from locks or anything else. I jumped it, ran it for a good long while, and no problem daily driving since. 2021 6.4 with 40,000 miles on original battery. Weather was 45-55 at night, 55-65 during the day so no cold weather impact.

I'm certainly familiar with newer vehicles and the effect of electronics draining the battery. But I've had no issues leaving a vehicle for even 3 weeks and then getting in and starting it up, might feel the hesitation of a partially drained battery but no problem turning over. I was really surprised to find it completely dead after 8 days.

I may change out the battery before winter with something new with more cca and reserve capacity, but was curious if anyone else has seen theirs go dead after such a short interval.
Yes..the factory batt was replaced with a Costco which also gave frequent slow starts and was jumped a couple..replaced with a Yellowtop. No slow starts or jumping since, seems to crank the starter/motor faster in general.
Weighs at least double, though. 3 batteries in 22k, since 2019.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I also put a Yellowtop in my PW. Never really had a problem with the OEM battery but didn't want any chances.

Dave01

Reaction score
So my OEM battery is 730 cca, 140 rc. I have the dual alternators, I do plow which can put a beating on batteries with a weak charging system but with the alternator output on this truck I highly doubt that the plowing is hurting the battery any.

Group size is 94R. I've had good luck with Everstart Maxx and Platinum batteries, their Platinum is 850 cca, 1000 ca, 140 rc, $179.84. I'm up to now not an Optima fan, used Duralast or Diehard batteries for a lot of years but have had Everstart's in cars, trucks, and boats the last 6-8 years and I have to say their power and life has been excellent and they are always reasonably priced compared to others, I'll probably put one in.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Let go of the coin for a Yellowtop. You’ll be very pleased.

wrvond

Reaction score

I had an F350 DRW with dual alternators and batteries. I installed a dash cam and in my ignorance set it up with parking mode always enabled. I basically killed two sets of batteries before finding out the truck couldn't handle sitting like that for a week or so.

phatboy64

Reaction score
I parked my 2023 Limited when it was newish (4K miles) for around 5 weeks this past summer and it fired right up when I got back home.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Unfortunately the OEM batteries are poor quality from the lowest bidder. Just not up to the task of the requirements of these power hungry trucks. Three years....... maybe. If mine is going to be sitting for any length of time, I plug in my NOCO onboard charger. I will be putting in new batteries (AGM) at the three year mark this coming spring as a preventative measure. I also never travel without a battery boost pak. Pretty sad.

Dave01

Reaction score
I would have expected that 4-5 weeks would not be a problem. One other thing that comes to mind, being a 6.4 I have one battery, the diesels have the dual batteries. I'm guessing the drain from electronics while just sitting is identical whether diesel or gas, so the dual battery setup has more of a chance of retaining starting power.

I carry 20' good quality cables. At times I have a boost pack in the truck, most of the time in the winter, but not right now. Since I was in my driveway I boosted off my wife's Forester.

Users who are viewing this thread