Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banks Ram Air diff cover

Riddick

Reaction score
Does the Banks cover provide better cooling than the OEM cover? Yes

Is there an issue with the OEM cover causing the oil to overheat leading to mechanical failures or decreased oil life? No

Drain plug and sight glass are nice on the Banks. Do these options justify the cost of the Banks? Only you can answer that.

FWIW, I am considered a Banks hater. However, I will admit Banks products are well built but have a hard time buying into his sales pitches.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Does the Banks cover provide better cooling than the OEM cover? Yes

Is there an issue with the OEM cover causing the oil to overheat leading to mechanical failures or decreased oil life? No

Drain plug and sight glass are nice on the Banks. Do these options justify the cost of the Banks? Only you can answer that.

FWIW, I am considered a Banks hater. However, I will admit Banks products are well built but have a hard time buying into his sales pitches.
Sales pitches are a dime a dozen. It is up to the consumer to separate fact from fiction.

SpeyRam

Reaction score
I've never purchased any Banks products, and not to turn this into another Grid Heater/Monster Ram Air intake thread but that is probably one product that Bank's designed which is an improvement over stock for both air flow and failure prevention. Just not sure it's worth $1000.

Reactions: CFE

techman

Reaction score
I'm going to get a little psychological with my question here.

What is the thought process of buying a hugely expensive truck, probably with a loan and interest accruing, and thinking you need to start replacing what some deem as inferior factory designed parts?

Seriously? If you are into it, that is fine. But does it keep you up at night thinking that the part you are replacing must be a ticking time bomb?

CdnHO

Reaction score
I'm going to get a little psychological with my question here.

What is the thought process of buying a hugely expensive truck, probably with a loan and interest accruing, and thinking you need to start replacing what some deem as inferior factory designed parts?

Seriously? If you are into it, that is fine. But does it keep you up at night thinking that the part you are replacing must be a ticking time bomb?
I bought my diff cover for ease of servicing. Looks nice too. If there are additional benefits, that's a bonus.

jetrinka

Reaction score
@AH64ID isn’t wrong…. Where does all this fear of some heat come from? Cmon now the synthetic fluids in these diffs are made to stand up to some serious usage and the overall efficiency of the system as a whole goes up with some heat as well. Cooler isn’t always better. You wouldn’t dream of railing up a mountain pass with 20k behind you on a cold engine…. Warm that sucker up first!!!

Plenty of people towing absolutely ridiculous weights with the stock diff covers and never reporting any kind of gear or bearing failure.

It’s more important to just keep up on the maintenance and change the fluid at proper intervals.

I’m all for upgrades when they make sense. Cooling diff cover? Nope. Keep your money.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
These threads that involve those that love Gale Banks (aka fanbois) and those that despise or distrust the scheister (aka haters) hurling insults at each other instead of just sticking to the facts is amusing at best and annoying at worst.

Stick to the facts and opinions and leave the insults out of it.

IMHO, unless you see a real world benefit in the sight glass and a drain, the banks cover does nothing else but drain your wallet and make Gale Banks richer.

JAPEKA

Reaction score
I used to live in Denver Colorado before I retired and we regularly went west into mountains and doing so ended up on some long uphill pulls climbing to the passes. With my 2010 2500 Big Horn I noticed after a few trips to Eleven Mile State Park that the factory paint had curled up and basically burnt off the factory diff cover. Painted it with high temp Krylon and after a couple trips black paint was gone or brown. Yes, synthetic fluid probably stands up to the Temps but still bugged me. Bought a Mag Tec cover and it made me feel a bit better. Plus easier to do fluid changes. Good enough for me! Same cover is now on my 2016 Laramie.

Users who are viewing this thread