Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banks Ram Air diff cover

airboss

Reaction score
whats the word on the diff cover ? my 2020 6.7 4x4 could use a cool new cover but does it really work ? who has this on their vehicle ? my next tow will be checking diff oil temp

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Ram doesn’t even put the finned diff cover on the Max Tow trucks anymore.

I put a MH cover on my 05. The biggest impacts were decreased fuel economy until it warmed up, 30-40 miles, and very expensive fluid changes.

The 2022 is staying stock.

If I chose to add a cover is wouldn’t be the Banks, it’s overpriced and over-marketed for what it does. A simple finned cover would be more than sufficient.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
whats the word on the diff cover ? my 2020 6.7 4x4 could use a cool new cover but does it really work ? who has this on their vehicle ? my next tow will be checking diff oil temp
Lots of banks haters on these boards...you've already heard inadvertent confirmation of gales testing that the MH cover reduces efficiency....the sight glass for filling is super nice as is the drain plug....you're gonna hear people talking about how they like to inspect at every oil change but if there isn't a bunch of stuff on your magnetic plug there isn't a reason to pull the cover....it's a well built cover and it does what they say ....I carry a thermal temp gun in my truck and always check the diff and trailer hubs when stopping....plus the fact that if you ever get one of the scoops ripped off they'll replace the cover free....I emailed them and asked if they actually do this and they said yes and they've already replaced some....

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of banks haters on these boards...you've already heard inadvertent confirmation of gales testing that the MH cover reduces efficiency....

If you are talking my comment, the banks will be worse about efficiency…

If not, nevermind.

IME, banks supporters are generally folks duped by creative marketing looking to back their expensive decision. Not always, but generally.

airboss

Reaction score
wow 4 posts and 3 haters, does any of these comments come from actual testing ? i do have a thermal gun being an hvac company owner and do plan to check my next tow. i like the look of that Ram-Cover and looking into the engineering and design it seems to offer better lubrication and cooling (what its supposed to do)

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
If you are talking my comment, the banks will be worse about efficiency…

If not, nevermind.

IME, banks supporters are generally folks duped by creative marketing looking to back their expensive decision. Not always, but generally.
Of course you have the data to back that non sense!?!

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
wow 4 posts and 3 haters, does any of these comments come from actual testing ? i do have a thermal gun being an hvac company owner and do plan to check my next tow. i like the look of that Ram-Cover and looking into the engineering and design it seems to offer better lubrication and cooling (what its supposed to do)
Told ya....no they don't test anything....or for that matter even have the product....just yammering their unfounded opinions.....

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Of course you have the data to back that non sense!?!

Banks even claims better cooling, so yes. Too cool of fluid is the reason for the decrease in fuel efficiency I mentioned.

Told ya....no they don't test anything....or for that matter even have the product....just yammering their unfounded opinions.....

No kidding I don’t have the product, it’s not a piece I would run if was given to me.

I’ve done the research, watched the videos, taken some real world experiences, etc. It’s pretty simple if you don’t easily fall for excellent marketing (Banks is very good at effective marketing).

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Spin the too cold theory some more....doesn't work with the TBV and doesn't work here....nice try tho....
So extremely uneducated.

If you think gear lube at ambient temp isn’t thicker, and thus requires more energy to go down the road, than warmed up gear lube then I’ve got a bridge for ya.

You are a marketing teams dream… just keep throwing your money at them, they love it.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
So extremely uneducated.

If you think gear lube at ambient temp isn’t thicker, and thus requires more energy to go down the road, than warmed up gear lube then I’ve got a bridge for ya.

You are a marketing teams dream… just keep throwing your money at them, they love it.
Glad you finally admitted you don't know what you're talking about...would you do us all a favor and post up your diff cover and transmission building certifications? Since you think you know everything....also you should go find the stay stock threads....if you put a product on your truck it's an ok piece....if somebody puts something different on theirs you slam it....one might think you're more of a nut swinger! Any way you look at it the OP asked about the Banks cover....you rambled about mag hytec and stock...great contribution to the Banks cover thread yet again....we get you don't like banks...you're dismissed....

MtnRider

Reaction score

What exactly is the issue you are trying to resolve? (I don't see an issue here at all). Banks offers a solution to a problem that doesn't exist so if it makes you sleep better at night by purchasing the cover by all means do so, but it's not "solving" anything. It looks pretty though...

airboss

Reaction score
i dont believe the gear lube temp is going to affect MPG thats absurd ! your saying the friction is so much greater at ambient than at working temp is BS. if it did affect mpg the loss would so minimal it wouldnt register

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
i dont believe the gear lube temp is going to affect MPG thats absurd ! your saying the friction is so much greater at ambient than at working temp is BS. if it did affect mpg the loss would so minimal it wouldnt register

It’s easily registered, so do a simple test yourself if you want. Run down a stretch of highway on cold soaked truck, and then come back and do it on a warmed up truck. The very noticeable difference in fuel economy is due to fluids being cold, and requiring more energy to spin thru them. It’s a combination of all the fluids, but each one has a bigger piece with the engine and diffs having the most viscous fluids.

On an engine with a real oil pressure gauge you see the same basic principle at every cold start, cold oil has a greater resistance to flow so the pressure is higher then hot oil has less resistance to flow and pressure drops. The power requirement to pump the cold oil is also much higher. Generally gear lube is thicker across the board than engine oil.

Engine manufacturers have gone to thinner engine oils to improve fuel economy. Fluid viscosity absolutely has an impact on fuel economy.

A big advantage of the Banks is that it doesn’t add to the OEM capacity and then have increased cooling.

If you’re always at max GCWR, in high ambient temp, you may get some long term benefits from a finned cover as you’re in the small percentage of operators pushing the design limits.

BikePilot

Reaction score
To me it looks really well thought out and I'd probably get one if my use were all street and towing heavy. As it is I don't often tow really heavy, but I do go off road and deal with snow and ice. Durability is more important to me than cooling. I have a Ruffstuff cover in the garage that I hope to mount up tomorrow.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I really doubt that the few degrees that the Banks cover cools the gear oil is going to impact fuel efficiency to any appreciable degree. And i also don't think that the additional cooling is going to impact durability. I doubt removing the fins was Chrysler's idea as these rear axles are made by AAM and they would know if their axles needed the fins. Besides I suspect that the 12 inch gears run cooler anyway. All that said, I installed a Banks cover on my truck because it allows me to easily drain and refill the axle and doesn't require any more oil than stock. At my age, that is a big plus. And I like that sight glass for filling. If I note any appreciable debris on the magnets, I can always pull the cover for an inspection. After all that, I don't care what other folks think about the way I spend my money. To be honest, it is none of their business.

Nick

Reaction score
I had a Mag Tech on my last truck and it needed much more gear oil . I got the Banks and it holds the same as stock whether it it is hype or not it looks cool and how many of you put stuff on your truck because you like it not because you need it so ease up on your criticism. I also have the I dash and pedal monster and they both work as advertised . Which is very well.

Users who are viewing this thread