Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banks Power Systems

HoopesM

Reaction score
I am looking for reccos on the Banks Power systems. I have a 2020 RAM 2500 with the 6.7 diesel. Of the Banks options what would you reccommend that would help power and mileage on my truck? Monster Ram Intake, Banks Ram - Air, Exhaust, Boost Tubes. And who in the Phoenix area installs all of this? Thanks

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
None, all will cost you more than you would ever get back in fuel savings. And asfar as power the stock stuff can handle more power than the truck can make in stock form. Get some custom tuning from calibrated power for emissions on or elsewhere for deletes. Tuning with trans tuning is the only real bang for your buck upgrades without major mods for both power and fuel milage. The ram air and boost tubes are nice but not going to help you without tuning really

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
None, all will cost you more than you would ever get back in fuel savings. And asfar as power the stock stuff can handle more power than the truck can make in stock form. Get some custom tuning from calibrated power for emissions on or elsewhere for deletes. Tuning with trans tuning is the only real bang for your buck upgrades without major mods for both power and fuel milage. The ram air and boost tubes are nice but not going to help you without tuning really

Well said. Banks is over marketed and under performed.

Find a good custom tuner, one that will write a tune for you, not the same “custom tune” for everyone.

Unless you’re talking large turbos, large injectors, and head studs , the stock hardware is more than capable of supporting a good tube.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Love slathering snake oil all over my rig! The ram horn and grid heater delete is a welcome change in driveability.....check out some of the threads of fellas that actually have some banks parts on their truck....lots of people on this forum are anti mod....

Riddick

Reaction score
With fancy lingo such as "Big A$$", "Monster Ram", and "Boost tubes" there has to be astronomical gains in both power and MPG across the board, right?? I honestly have no clue but Banks does have a chassis dyno on site but they fail to post any results showing before and after. What you will find is useless flow numbers in which they test their products venting to open atmosphere. Would love to see data showing how these increase flow within the engine vs an open room. Here is my $.02 on their products below:

Pedal Monster: Yes, this will increase your throttle sensitivity and this is it. You can accomplish the same thing by mounting a small 2x4 to the top of your accelerator pedal.

Banks Exhaust: Purely cosmetic upgrade, 0 performance gains to be had from a post DPF exhaust upgrade. Save your money and buy a tip if you are after aesthetics.

Air Intake: I think they have a well designed unit here but the fact is you are limited by the stock ECU. These apparently do increase air flow and in most cases you will end up with an engine light having to do with your EGR, if I had to guess its due to the EGR seeing to much air flow. They will more than likely come up with some type of resistor to trick the ECU to stop triggering the engine light which will more than likely negate any power gains.

Ram Air Horn: Again, seems to be well designed but you are going to pay top dollar for this. There have been a few instances over the years in which the OEM grid heater bolt destroys your engine. This is extremely rare so its your call o if you want to dish out $$$$ to relocate grid heater. The design of these can surely support more HP than the OEM unit. However, on stock tuning and turbo I honestly don't know if there are gains to be had or not. People who have purchased these reported better throttle response but I have not seen any hard data or any before and after dyno gains.

Boost tubes: Members have reported better throttle response from these but that's about it from what I have read.

Bottom line is you will not see significant MPG gains on any modern HD truck no matter what you do. The biggest gains will more than likely come from custom tuning but don't expect big gains in the fuel economy department. You will see huge gains in power and drivability but that's about it. If you are after MPG, buy your wife a hybrid and drive that when you aren't in the truck :).

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
If you like spending money ... look at my sig line lol. That being said they're not going to do anything by themselves, I'm prepping for tuning/later things as I have tendancy to go a little overboard on my toys, er vehicles. There is a smidge better throttle response with the Horn and I did the boost tubes as the cold side is plastic - doing it again I would use AFE's boosttubes as the banks ones are a bitch to fit/prevent from rubbing. Additionally their CAI causes P0402 EGR codes on both our '22s so I run the S&B - I also don't run the CAI for the perf gains, but rather to have a dry/wrapped filter for ease of maintenance. With the stock filters I'd end up with the pleats full of butterflies really fast and such (yes the ram scoope does work that well), but with the S&B running dry/wrapped combo I just pull the service cover and vacuum up all the bugs without them embedding themselves into the filter every few weeks.

Last edited:

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Sure thing :
Here's the S&B Airbox - You can run an oiled filter if you want, but IMO I would avoid it. The S&B dry filter element is disposable just like the OE filter, but I've always had them last a good while when running a wrap. I run mine plug in so the factory ram scoop is working as designed.

S&B Filter Wrap - Filterwraps are basically the whole reason I run aftermarket airboxes on my trucks. Out where I live they help with the bugs and larger debris as mentioned.

AFE Charge Pipes - Had these been out when I did it, I would've used them over the banks tubes.

jetrinka

Reaction score

Well said. Banks is over marketed and under performed.

Find a good custom tuner, one that will write a tune for you, not the same “custom tune” for everyone.

Unless you’re talking large turbos, large injectors, and head studs , the stock hardware is more than capable of supporting a good tube.

“But ever since I put the Banks cooling diff cover on my differential grows icicles when towing!!!!”

waveslayer

Reaction score
So I have a bit of a different take on this. I have been a Banks supporter but not for the Cummins. I know this will piss a lot of people off but here's been my experience.

Banks is awesome if you have a Duramax motor, they are the largest dealer of Duramax motors , because of their military contract.

On my Ram, I haven't seen anything other than increased throttle response, had to remove the CAI, kept throwing codes that annoyed me. So not very worth it...

BUT... on my old man's Duramax I have seen dramatic changes! My old man is a big fan of Gale. His results have been dramatic! His truck basically smokes mine . When towing its incredible the torque , increased gas mileage , and overall performance. His transmission got to a very hot 157 degrees towing one of our boats. My truck was 175°. So his cover worked as advertised.

Racing around on the street his Duramax smokes my Raptor, he took my buddy invisible TRX, and just yesterday I was messing around with Jaguary F type, guy couldn't belive he couldn't take me. All this while waiting for my truck to get its front transfer case replaced.... been at thr dealership way too much.

Spoke to their head engineer and he said the Cummins is solid but basically maxed out and needs all sorts of expensive parts to get real gains. But on the Duramax Banks shines because the motor can handle it...

So Banks is awesome applied to the right application. I agree it's not really worth it on the Ram. I am sure I'll get slack for this but that's been my real life experience... hate the Banks on the Ram, but love it on the Duramax

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@waveslayer You might wanna proof/spell check before the "C" brand police come at you.

Oh, and the "the Cummings [sic] is solid but basically maxed out and needs all sorts of expensive parts to get real gains." is bunk and just not true. The stock intake/exhaust can go to probably 800HP, the engine needs very little go go bigger. Obviously, the trans needs help.

waveslayer

Reaction score
@waveslayer You might wanna proof/spell check before the "C" brand police come at you.

Oh, and the "the Cummings [sic] is solid but basically maxed out and needs all sorts of expensive parts to get real gains." is bunk and just not true. The stock intake/exhaust can go to probably 800HP, the engine needs very little go go bigger. Obviously, the trans needs help.
I'm no engineer, and I don't doubt it. Just going off what the guy at Banks said, that's why their Tune has been so delayed. Again I just put around and wanted a truck with an awesome reputation

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

RAM U

Reaction score
I've had no codes due to the Banks intake on my 2021 and I've put about 15k on it since install. Not sure if there were any performance gains, but it sure does sound better. I may not get the loud clammering of a diesel like back in the good ole days, but I at least get some turbo whistle.
Was it worth the money? For me yes.
Paired with the pedal monster, it'll hold me off on mods until the warranty is up.

IPFreehley

Reaction score
I am looking for reccos on the Banks Power systems. I have a 2020 RAM 2500 with the 6.7 diesel. Of the Banks options what would you reccommend that would help power and mileage on my truck? Monster Ram Intake, Banks Ram - Air, Exhaust, Boost Tubes. And who in the Phoenix area installs all of this? Thanks
Monster and cold air intake. Immediately boosted mileage 4.7mpg day of installation on the 80mi drive to and from the shop on my 2023 2500 Ltd mega That’s 20%+. Very happily surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread