Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banks Pedal Monster

Will_T

Reaction score
Honestly, I drive like the old man that I am! So I am very happy with the pedal response 99% of the time. I just want it to respond immediately when I need to floor it. An example is that rare green light that changes to yellow right at the point of no safe stopping. Or the even more rare times when you need to move quickly to avoid whatever. So I almost never have WOT, but when I do, I don't feel safe with the delayed response as it is now. So if both the Pedal Monster or Pedal Commander have a setting where the pedal response is pretty much as factory when driving normally, but responds immediately when the pedal is stomped to the floor, that will work for me. As long as they don't shorten the life of any of the running gear.

jbncccb

Reaction score
Honestly, I drive like the old man that I am! So I am very happy with the pedal response 99% of the time. I just want it to respond immediately when I need to floor it. An example is that rare green light that changes to yellow right at the point of no safe stopping. Or the even more rare times when you need to move quickly to avoid whatever. So I almost never have WOT, but when I do, I don't feel safe with the delayed response as it is now. So if both the Pedal Monster or Pedal Commander have a setting where the pedal response is pretty much as factory when driving normally, but responds immediately when the pedal is stomped to the floor, that will work for me. As long as they don't shorten the life of any of the running gear.
Yes it will help with that. However, there is one scenario that still exists. If you pull your foot off the gas pedal momentarily and then get back into it you will still get some dead pedal. This is keeping you from disintegrating your torque converter. I experience this when coming up behind someone driving slower and then I want to quickly pass around them. Foot off the gas to slow down, then down again to pass you get the lag. Pedal Monster helps reduce it but it's still there.

Otherwise, for all other scenarios it's an amazing difference. Drives like a different truck.

The pedal monster also has advanced circuitry over the commander and has some additional safety features. You can see it on their videos.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

clawdog79

Reaction score
I just installed the Banks PedalMonster and love it. What a difference it makes. Definitely worth the $295.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Fine. Maybe its the ...beer ..but its not cuz I'm drinking wine - that's right I said it .. but I just ordered it so you all better not be lying...

clawdog79

Reaction score
Fine. Maybe its the ...beer ..but its not cuz I'm drinking wine - that's right I said it .. but I just ordered it so you all better not be lying...

I think you’ll be pleased. I started with Sport setting “3” but its all personal preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will_T

Reaction score

In another thread just recently the Pedal Monster was discussed in depth. The device should make a huge difference in throttle response, but supposedly it does not do anything to help the dead few seconds that happens when you let off the pedal and then get right back on it. Below is what I posted in that thread about what Banks told me. Others in that thread seemed to confirm.

This is for anyone who has read through this thread like I did and still needs to know if the traffic signal "safety" issue is helped with the Pedal Monster. I do not have an problem with the way my truck starts from a stop or accelerates when I press the pedal further when already moving. What I don't like and think is a safety issue is this: Several times when approaching a traffic signal the light has turned yellow at the last minute. I reflexively let off the throttle then immediately got back on it because it was too late to stop safely. There is no response for a few seconds so rather than accelerating to get through the light quicker, the truck just coasts for a few seconds as it approaches the intersection, slowing down, before there is any throttle response. Then it will get up and go.

I called Banks today and actually got a guy who seemed very knowledgeable about the Pedal Monster. I described the traffic signal issue and he told me in no uncertain terms I should not expect the Pedal Monster to help that. He said if you taking off from a stop, or are already on the throttle pedal and press it further, then you will notice a big difference in response. But if you let off the throttle and then get back on it, the Pedal Monster will not do anything to fix the lag time before the truck responds to your press of the pedal. The only way it would help would be if I had the Pedal Monster installed and could teach my brain to not first let up on the pedal.

If you are at 1/4 throttle and floor it, that is when the Pedal Monster will make a difference. If you release the pedal and then floor it, the Pedal Monster will not do anything to eliminate or shorten the lag or "dead" time before the truck responds to the floored pedal.

The Banks rep told me an example of the way the Pedal Monster works is: If you depress the pedal 1/8 of the way, the PM will tell the truck you have depressed it 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or more depending on the mode you are in. That is the big response you feel. It is real and does make the vehicle much more responsive. Interestingly he said if you slam the pedal to the floor, the PM will not do anything differently since you have already told the truck to go full throttle.

Just want to make sure you understand that Banks told me the slow throttle response and the "dead pedal" are two different things. The PM fixes the first, but does nothing for the 2nd.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score

Pretty sure it's the beer as I believe you already have Calibrated Power assistance with that throttle.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
I do have Calibrated tuning - but didn't know it was additionally doing what the pedal monster is supposed to do as well. I guess we'll learn soon enough as it should be here tomorrow.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I do have Calibrated tuning - but didn't know it was additionally doing what the pedal monster is supposed to do as well. I guess we'll learn soon enough as it should be here tomorrow.
I expect your CP tuning has gotten rid of the dead pedal problem. A CP sport tune should make the pedal response better and be within CPs parameters for transmission longevity. Not sure about mixing a tune and a Pedal Monster though. Could be interesting I guess.

Will_T

Reaction score
I expect your CP tuning has gotten rid of the dead pedal problem. A CP sport tune should make the pedal response better and be within CPs parameters for transmission longevity. Not sure about mixing a tune and a Pedal Monster though. Could be interesting I guess.

This is what initially confused me in this thread and in others. It is just semantics but as Banks sees it, and told me when I talked to them: There are two issues with these trucks and the throttle. First is a laggy response where if you press the pedal to go, you don't get what you expect and the truck takes off slowly. Or you are cruising and decide to pass and press the pedal further down and the response is very slow. Banks says do not call this "dead pedal", dead pedal is the 2nd problem described below. But Banks says their Pedal Monster will fix this slow response and make the pedal response much more aggressive and responsive.

2nd is what Banks calls the "Dead Pedal" that these trucks have. This is when you release the pedal for some reason, like coming up on a car you then decide to pass. When you release the pedal then immediately jump right back on it, nothing happens. There are 3, 4, or 5 seconds where absolutely nothing happens before the throttle kicks in. The truck just cruises, continuing to slow down for those few seconds before the computer finally tells the engine your foot has requested power. The yellow light situation described above is another disturbing example of this. Banks says that the Pedal Monster will have no impact at all on this dead space before the truck responds, but once it does respond, the Pedal Monster will make it go faster than without it installed.

I am not bothered by #1 above but if someone is the Pedal Monster will fix it.

I am troubled by #2 but because Banks told me the PM would not change anything with that dead space, I have not purchased.

I would love to ride along, or drive a truck, with the PM installed to see for myself, but I don't know anyone near me with one installed.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
This is what initially confused me in this thread and in others. It is just semantics but as Banks sees it, and told me when I talked to them: There are two issues with these trucks and the throttle. First is a laggy response where if you press the pedal to go, you don't get what you expect and the truck takes off slowly. Or you are cruising and decide to pass and press the pedal further down and the response is very slow. Banks says do not call this "dead pedal", dead pedal is the 2nd problem described below. But Banks says their Pedal Monster will fix this slow response and make the pedal response much more aggressive and responsive.

2nd is what Banks calls the "Dead Pedal" that these trucks have. This is when you release the pedal for some reason, like coming up on a car you then decide to pass. When you release the pedal then immediately jump right back on it, nothing happens. There are 3, 4, or 5 seconds where absolutely nothing happens before the throttle kicks in. The truck just cruises, continuing to slow down for those few seconds before the computer finally tells the engine your foot has requested power. The yellow light situation described above is another disturbing example of this. Banks says that the Pedal Monster will have no impact at all on this dead space before the truck responds, but once it does respond, the Pedal Monster will make it go faster than without it installed.

I am not bothered by #1 above but if someone is the Pedal Monster will fix it.

I am troubled by #2 but because Banks told me the PM would not change anything with that dead space, I have not purchased.

I would love to ride along, or drive a truck, with the PM installed to see for myself, but I don't know anyone near me with one installed.

#2 is why I have not done the Banks and am thinking about Calibrated Power's tuning instead.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
So @Brewbud - your reply actually got me thinking and I ended up sending in a question to Calibrated Tuning about the pitfalls/risks of running both their custom tune and the Banks Pedal Monster at the same time. First to be clear, they had nothing negative to say about the product in fact the response was "it does what it claims to do" regarding the Pedal Monster. However what was also said was "don't run them both at the same time". While Calibrated Power did provide some specific reasons I'm not going to post them as I don't want this to be a "one vendor saying there's a problem with another vendor". It had nothing to do with that at all.

Dmacmilitant

Reaction score
Everyone here realizes that you can just press the pedal down further and the truck will respond exactly the same, right? If you press the pedal 50% of the way down, the settings on these products intercept the signal and instead tell the truck that the pedal is 60%, or 70%, or 90% depending on the "mode" you have it in. At the end of the day, 100% throttle is 100% throttle.

Don't get me wrong, I use one of these products on my 2020 2500 CTD and I love it. But it's ultimately just a mental thing that I think my truck is accelerating faster as I give limited throttle input.

I just don't want anyone getting fooled into thinking these somehow reduce or remove throttle lag, dead pedal, or even turbo lag.

Users who are viewing this thread