Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banks Derringer vs Edge CTS3 w/Attitude Juice (?)

g00fy

Reaction score
I've been occasionally checking to see what simple off the shelf emissions intact tuners are out there for the 5th gens, and I saw thread pop up today that alerted me that bullydog supports the 5th gens now, but I'm not interested in directly flashing my PCM because warranty.

In my Ecodiesel I had a nice simple Green Diesel Tuned PCM that I could swap in and out with my factory PCM whenever I needed warranty work done. So since I can't get a separate tuned PCM anymore, piggyback is my preference, and i know this piggyback stuff is going to be a bit more complicated than my old GDE PCM, but still pretty easily removable for warranty work. So I got to googling and see that the Banks Derringer piggyback module, which I've been watching for some time, is still unavailable, but the Edge CTS3 Juice w/Attitude (Stupid Name IMO) is available.

I went reading down the lists of features of BOTH the Derringer & CTS3, and the features & safety features seem to be just about identical between the two. The only thing I saw I didn't like was the edge included an extra EGT probe that required drilling & tapping the exhaust manifold, but I called them and they said it's not really required anymore since the truck has several factory EGT probes but they still include it for guys that want it.

I already have an Edge CTS2 monitor that I could trade in to get 25% off a new CTS3 & Juice module right away and save some money, vs waiting and paying full price for the Banks Derringer AND having to buy their (IMO) inferior iDash pod.

So I come to the forums for opinions, what do you guys with diesel tuner experience think? Give the Edge tuner a shot or wait for the Banks Derringer?

Last edited:

zsqure

Reaction score
Had the juice module on my D'max back in '04. It woke up the truck, took it to the strip on test-n-tune tuesday, got beat by a turbo cruze. Can't comment on what it might do to our cummins trucks. I will say this, I would get a little right-foot happy with that installed and probably roast the trans..

g00fy

Reaction score
Had the juice module on my D'max back in '04. It woke up the truck, took it to the strip on test-n-tune tuesday, got beat by a turbo cruze. Can't comment on what it might do to our cummins trucks. I will say this, I would get a little right-foot happy with that installed and probably roast the trans..
I'm sure once the power is there i'm gonna want to use it lol, however both the Banks & the EDGE claim to have the ability to monitor transmission slippage and dial back the power to prevent damage. Regardless I do see a Revmax valvebody in my future for peace of mind when towing.

g00fy

Reaction score
Man I was poking around and I wish they'd release a Pulsar for the cummins, that'd be the correct answer for me, but I don't think they have plans for anything like that.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I had an Edge on my 04.5.

Didn't save my trans one bit.

I'd stay away, their tunes are too hot and loose.

I installed a Banks e-brake and it refused to get along with anything else on the OBD port and forced me into a Banks tuner. Should have gone with the Pac-brake.

I've got no love for either brand,

g00fy

Reaction score
I had an Edge on my 04.5.

Didn't save my trans one bit.

I'd stay away, their tunes are too hot and loose.

I installed a Banks e-brake and it refused to get along with anything else on the OBD port and forced me into a Banks tuner. Should have gone with the Pac-brake.

I've got no love for either brand,
Back in 04 - 05 did the tuners have the ability to monitor transmission slippage? I know 04 - 05 was right around the time electronically controlled VB's were becoming standard, I remember because my built Subaru at the time had a fancy new Electronically controlled valvebody that did not take kindly to the old mechanical modifications that were done to it for extra line pressure.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Back in 04 - 05 did the tuners have the ability to monitor transmission slippage? I know 04 - 05 was right around the time electronically controlled VB's were becoming standard, I remember because my built Subaru at the time had a fancy new Electronically controlled valvebody that did not take kindly to the old mechanical modifications that were done to it for extra line pressure.

Yes, the Edge on my 04.5 did but it didn't help save it.

I had 72k on the truck when I sold it in dire need of a rebuild, so much so i didn't trust it for even one more short trip pulling my 16K setup.

The Edge went on around 8K and came off around 60K.

g00fy

Reaction score
Yes, the Edge on my 04.5 did but it didn't help save it.

I had 72k on the truck when I sold it in dire need of a rebuild, so much so i didn't trust it for even one more short trip pulling my 16K setup.

The Edge went on around 8K and came off around 60K.

Good to know, my feelings about the 68RFE are mixed, so far it seems alright, and most people seem pretty happy with theirs. I do however have that feeling in the back of my mind that it's probably for the best to do a Revmax valvebody to help strengthen it for longevity.

I'm probably going to wait until after I get the CP4 Recall done then most likely go for the edge since they'll give me a good discount for trading in my old CTS2 that I've been using the past couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread