Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Balance Beads

jetrinka

Reaction score
This is more of a information post than anything.

I got some new studded winter tires to throw on my winter wheel set and figured this time I'd try balance beads out. After hearing good things from @Rockcrawlindude and @Crusty old shellback about them it was time.

I went with the Counteract brand - bought off Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Counteract-B...1-1-62d64017-76a9-4f2a-8002-d7ec97456eea&th=1

According to their application chart my tire size should be paired with the 6 OZ bags

SUPER EASY! Just get the rear bead on the wheel, throw in the bag of beads and then get the front bead on. Inflate and mount on the truck.

I'm happy to say the ride home was glass smooth. Got the truck up to 60 MPH with zero vibrations felt. I'm very happy with this product and the fact that they'll continue to balance regardless of wear.

If you're getting new tires or just have a wheel/tire vibration that just won't go away with re-balancing then I'd really advise you to give these a try. They're cheap too.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
When I put the new MT Baja Boss tires on the truck, I had issues. Seems the bags never broke. In all 4 tires. First time in over 20 years of using them I've had that happen.
You can always put a little slice in the bag to make sure it rips open.

jetrinka

Reaction score
When I put the new MT Baja Boss tires on the truck, I had issues. Seems the bags never broke. In all 4 tires. First time in over 20 years of using them I've had that happen.
You can always put a little slice in the bag to make sure it rips open.
Yeah I thought about that but figured if they say just throw it in I'd try it out. You must have been very unlucky. Did you end up dismounting the tire and find the bags still whole?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Yeah I thought about that but figured if they say just throw it in I'd try it out. You must have been very unlucky. Did you end up dismounting the tire and find the bags still whole?
After about 1K miles and a few trips to my tire guy adding more weight, I finally went back to 4Wheel Parts where I bought them. Had to take all 4 off of the truck and give them to them as they would not touch them as they were not "Rated" for my truck. Ha Ha Ha.
Each tire is rated at 3K lbs. That's 12K. My truck weighs in at just over 7K. So I doubt if my truck suspension could handle 5K lbs.
Anyways, they kept trying to convince me that balance beads were no good. They said when they took the tires off the rims, the bags were not open. The balanced them with weights which fixed my original issue of vibration due to tires out of balance.
Like I said, over 20 years of running them on regular and oversized truck tires and in the tires on my Harleys, and never seen this before

Ramsomair

Reaction score
Can you not just slice the bag open and dump the beads in to be sure they disperse?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Last time I used counteract I needed enough for 5 tires, so I bought oversized bags and cut them all open and dumped the proper amount in all 5 tires. No issues seating the bead and spilling balance beads.

Man, I'd love to put these in my trailer tires.
I’m using airsoft pellets in one of my trailers. Little louder and a lot cheaper, perfect for a trailer.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Last time I used counteract I needed enough for 5 tires, so I bought oversized bags and cut them all open and dumped the proper amount in all 5 tires. No issues seating the bead and spilling balance beads.

I’m using airsoft pellets in one of my trailers. Little louder and a lot cheaper, perfect for a trailer.

I have used airsoft pellets in my jeep and dually tires for years works great and best of all i usually get a free small airsoft pistol in the bigger tubs that i buy! Lol

Blythkd1

Reaction score
You can buy bulk and just scoop them in. I've got a tub full that I got from a friend's bucket.

Not sure about the air blast when mounting though, I haven't had to do that.

I've also scooped used beads out of one tire and put in another. They don't wear out.

I'd probably caution people about expecting much from them in a small tire. They seem to work better in larger tires. I thought they were great in 265/17 tires. Didn't seem to work as well in 235/17s. Tire shops have told me don't even bother on car tires.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You can buy bulk and just scoop them in. I've got a tub full that I got from a friend's bucket.

Not sure about the air blast when mounting though, I haven't had to do that.

I've also scooped used beads out of one tire and put in another. They don't wear out.

I'd probably caution people about expecting much from them in a small tire. They seem to work better in larger tires. I thought they were great in 265/17 tires. Didn't seem to work as well in 235/17s. Tire shops have told me don't even bother on car tires.
They work good in car tires too in my experience and i have had no issue with them blowing out even with either assisted bead seating lol

Users who are viewing this thread