Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backyard Tractor

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
Hoping you guys can help out. I’ve got a small cub cadet (XT2) and wanted to see about getting a tractor for work around the house. Guessing there are a lot of people here with compact tractors. What do you recommend? A few neighbors have Kubotas. Mainly need it for moving dirt, grading, mowing. We’re on an acre now but we have aspirations of moving to 5-10 one day. Thank you!

Midwesterner

Reaction score
What dealers do you have nearby? Kubota builds good compact tractors., JD as well, I have also heard good things about Kioti, Yanmar, and LS.
Buy one big enough for your future upgrade, but remember, a small tractor can do most of the jobs of a larger tractor, it'll just take longer. I have a 4510 John Deere-38 HP on 16 acres, it serves my needs perfectly.
Check out tractorbynet.com, great resource for tractor owners.
One big thing to keep in mind is the cost of attachments. It is easy to spend 50-75% of the tractor cost again on attachments, so remember that in your budget.
Whatever tractor you end up with, you will find more jobs for it than you ever imagined.
Good luck in your search

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat. Got 3 acres now on a hillside. Been looking at tractors trying to figure it all out.
Looking at a compact instead of sub compact as I think it will fit my needs better.
One thing I found out in research is Yanmar makes the engines for a lot of the different tractor brands. Also there are only a handful that actually make their own tractor. A lot are rebranded.
There are a few youtube sites with good info. Good Works tractors is one.

Ramsomair

Reaction score
Been happy with my B2620 for the last 10 years. Front end loader, back hoe, front mount snowblower. 800hrs and and only oil and filters. Not one part replaced yet.

woody284

Reaction score
I have 2 acres and a 400 foot gravel drive on a hill. So the need to grade the driveway comes often. I have a Kioti CK20s - 19 hp compact. ( no longer made, now CK2610 is similar ) It’s a good size but I’d recommend at least a 30hp in the compact. It’s like garages so go bigger than you need. Really the only thing I had to change on mine is I added rear wheel spacers to widen my stance. The front end loader and being on a slight hill was dangerous with the factory stance. It was too narrow and felt too heavy.

Midwesterner

Reaction score
Spacers are a very good idea, adjustable rims, if available, work too.
A couple of things I have learned:
Get a bigger trailer than you need as well. A tractor, loader, and attachments can quickly add up, length wise and weight wise
Get rear hydraulic remotes and put a hydraulic top link on one of them.
Be sure to test drive your options.
Check the control positioning on your options. This may seem like a small thing but I have seen manufacturers get it very wrong
Lastly, weight=traction and stability.

Midwesterner

Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat. Got 3 acres now on a hillside. Been looking at tractors trying to figure it all out.
Looking at a compact instead of sub compact as I think it will fit my needs better.
One thing I found out in research is Yanmar makes the engines for a lot of the different tractor brands. Also there are only a handful that actually make their own tractor. A lot are rebranded.
There are a few youtube sites with good info. Good Works tractors is one.
Good point
Yanmar builds/supplies parts for:
JD
TYM
Cub Cadet
LS: builds/supplies parts for:
New Holland
Case IH
Kioti: builds/supplies parts for:
Bobcat
TYM builds/supplies parts for:
RK
Branson

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
Thanks guys. We’ll be buying later this year hopefully, so just starting the research. It’ll be our first “big tractor” (compact) but everyone has said to go one size larger. One of our neighbors told me about some insurance perks when financing through Kubota ($250 deductible and they’ll fix whatever you break…or something like that).

I had found this deal, essentially seems like a free trailer and they give you some money off on some of the accessories.

Was going to follow up with some of the local dealers on what they recommend. I’m sure friends and neighbors will always reach out to use it too lol.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Thanks guys. We’ll be buying later this year hopefully, so just starting the research. It’ll be our first “big tractor” (compact) but everyone has said to go one size larger. One of our neighbors told me about some insurance perks when financing through Kubota ($250 deductible and they’ll fix whatever you break…or something like that).

I had found this deal, essentially seems like a free trailer and they give you some money off on some of the accessories.

Was going to follow up with some of the local dealers on what they recommend. I’m sure friends and neighbors will always reach out to use it too lol.
I would get a hydro vs. a gear trans. Gear is ok if you are mowing or doing ground engaging work but sucks if you use the loader. I have a L3901 HST and would never go back to a gear trans.
Something to think about

Darkside

Reaction score
I would get a hydro vs. a gear trans. Gear is ok if you are mowing or doing ground engaging work but sucks if you use the loader. I have a L3901 HST and would never go back to a gear trans.
Something to think about
I actually prefer the gear trans over the hydro, the hydro requires more HP to do the same amount of work. I have a couple of New Holland tractors, a TC40 and a TC55, they are both shuttle shift so forward to reverse is effortless. The main thing is no matter what brand you go with get a loader, it’s much harder and more expensive to get one afterwards, and make sure you have a dealer for the brand you choose in your area, for parts or service.

Eatonpcat

Reaction score

The good news is that if you put down $30,000.00 and pay the tax, your payment will only be $34.00/month!! lol

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Anything small enough or old enough that it doesn't have a dpf or use def. Old enough to be completely devoid of electronics would be a plus to me as well. I fell into a deal on a Ford 1910 (Shibaura built) last year that has none of the above mentioned baggage and it's still a great tractor.

b307a1

Reaction score
The only issue that I see with that package is that the tractor comes with R1 tires. They can make a mess of your lawn really quick. R4's are the best all around tire for your needs.

Last edited:

Midwesterner

Reaction score

That setup looks great BUT buy a loader with a quick attach. I repeat, buy a loader with a quick attach. It opens up many more possibilities of attachments. A grapple, forks, etc. I use the forks on my tractor as much as the bucket.
Also, make sure that the tractor has a live or independent PTO, if looking at a gear tractor.
A live or independent PTO means that you can control whether the PTO is on or off separate from the transmission. The PTO will always be independent on a hydro, by design..
On a gear tractor, having a PTO that isn't live means that whenever you push in the clutch to stop, change gears, or directions, the PTO and driven attachment will stop as well.
This tractor is transmission driven, according to the specs. If you are new to this style of PTO it will be a massive pain to learn and work around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread