Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup Sensors and Trailer Ball not Agreeing

2500Ram

Reaction score
I have tried every hitch ball setup I have and no matter what eventually my backup sensors default to just always beeping. The beep is constant even though nothing is behind the truck. Is there a fix for this?

Thorvald

Reaction score
I’ve never found one, I just turn the damn rear sensor off.

Maybe someone with a drop hitch can comment.

2500Ram

Reaction score
I love the backup alarms since they came out decades ago...how did they mess that up on a 2022? Of course a diesel truck will be riding around with a ball in the hitch. My 2018 Cummins never had this issue. Now the 2022 put the sensors below the bumper and we're here. SMH

2500Ram

Reaction score
I just pull my hitch, can't fit in my garage with it on anyway
Sorta what I was trying to avoid. Not because its tough but because I don't want to swap that greasy thing on and off every morning and night. The 2018 had a hitch glued in the back for 4 years...miss her. This new truck is way more awesome in almost every other way though lol

2500Ram

Reaction score
My drop is a rail and pin so its wider. That must be the problem. Right now I have my fixed drop pintle on there and its behaving so long as I tie up the safety pin cable. I don't really need the cable to hold the safety pin so thats gonna get axed and hopefully my truck chills out.

merchjo

Reaction score
My drop is a rail and pin so its wider. That must be the problem. Right now I have my fixed drop pintle on there and its behaving so long as I tie up the safety pin cable. I don't really need the cable to hold the safety pin so thats gonna get axed and hopefully my truck chills out.
My 2022 does the same thing, Every hitch I have sets them off. I even went out and got a under bumper step to get in the bed easier and that would set it off in the stored position. I had to remove it and send it back. Those sensors are sensitive as hell and I think its mostly due to the fact they are under the bumper now.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Brutal_HO

Is that a pull down step on your drive side? I wonder if the calibration is different on a limited vs a Laramie since I put a pull down step in the same spot and it set off my sensors. I could definitely not have your hitch on mine without the sensors going off.

Yes, It's the factory step.

SL1

Reaction score
My weigh safe drop hitch doesn’t set the sensor off but my bulletproof does. Both are the same drop. The Bp is wider though. I do have the bed step also. I just turn the rear sensor off when needed.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
I had that problem with my B&W tri-ball Stow & Go even in the stowed position until I swapped out the large clip pins that came with the hitch for quick release pins. The clip pins were just long enough that no matter which way you turned them they stuck out or up just enough to set it off.

jenninr

Reaction score
I had that problem with my B&W tri-ball Stow & Go even in the stowed position until I swapped out the large clip pins that came with the hitch for quick release pins. The clip pins were just long enough that no matter which way you turned them they stuck out or up just enough to set it off.
Do you have a link to the pins you swapped to?

Users who are viewing this thread