Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backflip mx4 issues

relbus

Reaction score
anyone else have issues with the backflip mx4? I installed it per instructions and the cover seems to fit fine towards the front and middle but the rear most panel didn’t want to close and it appeared the latching mechanism was too wide.

I adjusted it and it closes, but I didn’t read anywhere else that this might be necessary so I’m thinking maybe something is off. The cover rails cannot be pushed any further towards the bed rails.

Not thrilled with this cover so far

At least it looks pretty good.
50f8630386f642a5aeffe4af93b88503.jpg

c2fec1503db0226ed80b7f5393e0bf8b.jpg

57d60668821c81be8572baf4dea1dbf5.jpg

diode_ee

Reaction score
I ordered the same cover for my '21 which hasn't come in yet. I'll report back when I get a chance to install. Delivery is currently set for later this month. I thought I read elsewhere that people thought the actual box was the issue and that the cover was just revealing the manufacturing defect?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

relbus

Reaction score
That very well could be. I did notice a few things that bothered me. For example each latch mechanism looks to be adjustable. The ones closest to the cab were adjusted in such a way that they allowed the cover to close. The latch mechanism closest to the tailgate was adjusted as wide as possible. Problem is holes are drilled to adjust things. So there is holes you need to make and there will be open holes from previous position. No they aren’t visible unless flipped open but come on.
Now that it will close the actual panel seems to brush the rail as it closes in one area.

I did use the angle ships per directions but I removed the rear most ones in an attempt to gain a hair of clearance.
I will update once I speak to Bak tomorrow

diode_ee

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what youngest back from Bak. I purchased the cover based in a lot of good reviews and the ability to close the cover before closing the tailgate. I would hate to spend that much money and not have it fit properly.

relbus

Reaction score
Bak asked me to send pictures of the problem areas. They did say there was adjustment in the latch mech. I explained that for $1k I didnt expect to have to make adjustments, and I feel I should not have had to based on the fact that two of the latch mechanism bars were one width, and the third was wider. It wouldn't be a big deal adjusting if adjustment did not involve self tapping screws. But now my new cover will have screw holes from the previous adjustment.
I will post the pics here as well once I get down to the shop and get in the the heat and can do this without rushing in the cold.

Bak has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, so we should be able to get this handled with either a refund or replacement.

diode_ee

Reaction score
Bak asked me to send pictures of the problem areas. They did say there was adjustment in the latch mech. I explained that for $1k I didnt expect to have to make adjustments, and I feel I should not have had to based on the fact that two of the latch mechanism bars were one width, and the third was wider. It wouldn't be a big deal adjusting if adjustment did not involve self tapping screws. But now my new cover will have screw holes from the previous adjustment.
I will post the pics here as well once I get down to the shop and get in the the heat and can do this without rushing in the cold.

Bak has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, so we should be able to get this handled with either a refund or replacement.
Thanks for the update. Unfortunately I bought mine on black friday and it shipped much earlier than they originally stated during my order. At this rate the truck won't show up in time for me to take advantage of the 30 day return policy. May go the warranty path if needed.

Photos would be appreciated!

Frank

Reaction score
I ordered the same cover for my '21 which hasn't come in yet. I'll report back when I get a chance to install. Delivery is currently set for later this month. I thought I read elsewhere that people thought the actual box was the issue and that the cover was just revealing the manufacturing defect?

There may be some truth to this. I installed a soft tonneau last weekend and noticed the bedside was not true. I thought mine bowed out a little in the middle, and also had a slight dip. I would think the hard cover is less forgiving than a soft one.

relbus

Reaction score
After messing with the cover a bit more it seems to close better. It unfortunately messed up the finish slightly on the rails where the cover was contacting.

Deciding my next move. Bak has agreed to refund me if I so chose.

licknab

Reaction score
I ordered the MX4 for my '21 3500 DRW last week. Set to deliver tomorrow. I had a different bakflip on my last 2 trucks and liked it. Hope the install goes smoothly this weekend.

anderson0172

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my Gator FX3 which is the same cover. The bed tapers in ever so slightly at the tailight mounting area. This causes the rails to be pushed in enough that the cover does not fit smoothly between them. Mine still requires a firm push to get it to close, I guess that's just the way it is with this taper.

Verado300

Reaction score
My MX-4 went in perfectly and works the same. Would buy it again.

diode_ee

Reaction score
Truck is arriving this week so I should know if my MX4 has any fitment issues, or not. Will report back.

licknab

Reaction score
I was initially sent the incorrect cover. Once I received the correct one, it went on easy. I did have to remove screws and adjust the latches closest to tailgate to get it to close. They were so wide it wouldn't close at all. Overall I would rate 7 out of 10. Several attention to detail issues that could be corrected with some quality control. One of the rubber pieces that is on the edge rails was nearly 1/2" short.. I had some similar so stuck it in there. I would expect for the cost, they quality would be a bit higher. I had the G2 on my last 2 trucks and it sealed very well. I'm not certain this design will keep all the water out around the tailgate as well, but time will tell.

Silverbeard

Reaction score
I have the MX4 on a 2019 3500. i got it as part of the deal for the truck. I had the same problem with the rear latch. The dealer talk to the installer and found out how to adjust the latch and now it works fine.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my Gator FX3 which is the same cover. The bed tapers in ever so slightly at the tailight mounting area. This causes the rails to be pushed in enough that the cover does not fit smoothly between them. Mine still requires a firm push to get it to close, I guess that's just the way it is with this taper.
FWIW gator and bak are the same company

relbus

Reaction score
Update - so the cover is still on. Bak has approved a refund with pics of it being destroyed. As I’ve lived with it for a bit, it’s not that bad. It’s not as user friendly as my last cover. I’ve used the heck out of it lately traveling to our cabin. In and out of the bed a lot and have had it folded against the cab several times for full bed access. Not sure why it seems to close easier since day one, but it does...except for the back panel that needs to be pushed closed

diode_ee

Reaction score
Okay, so I just went to I stall my MX4 on my 2021 and it looks like I'll need to adjust the rear most latches as well. It just will not fit with the adjustment from the factory. I'll take pics in the morning when the light is better.

diode_ee

Reaction score
I was initially sent the incorrect cover. Once I received the correct one, it went on easy. I did have to remove screws and adjust the latches closest to tailgate to get it to close. They were so wide it wouldn't close at all. Overall I would rate 7 out of 10. Several attention to detail issues that could be corrected with some quality control. One of the rubber pieces that is on the edge rails was nearly 1/2" short.. I had some similar so stuck it in there. I would expect for the cost, they quality would be a bit higher. I had the G2 on my last 2 trucks and it sealed very well. I'm not certain this design will keep all the water out around the tailgate as well, but time will tell.
How did you know it was the incorrect cover?

licknab

Reaction score
The space between my rails is wider than the cover, so it was obviously the wrong one. The right one fit fine, but did take some minor adjustments.

diode_ee

Reaction score
The space between my rails is wider than the cover, so it was obviously the wrong one. The right one fit fine, but did take some minor adjustments.
Gotcha. Pretty obvious, then. I wanted to ensure I didn't have the same situation.

Users who are viewing this thread