Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Axle Ratings

Sapper-8

Reaction score
Curious, how do I get information concerning the GVAWR ratings on my 2500 Ram Laramie, 4x4 Diesel with towing and 4x4 package. I know the payload capacity, but I was curious about the axle ratings. I could not find the ratings in my book. When towing, do most use the payload capacity or axle ratings. According to my vehicle information booklet, it states payload capacity or axle rating when towing. Thank you for your comments.

Sapper-8

Reaction score
Curious, how do I get information concerning the GVAWR ratings on my 2500 Ram Laramie, 4x4 Diesel with towing and 4x4 package. I know the payload capacity, but I was curious about the axle ratings. I could not find the ratings in my book. When towing, do most use the payload capacity or axle ratings. According to my vehicle information booklet, it states payload capacity or axle rating when towing. Thank you for your comments.
I forgot to mention it is a 2021 Ram

Sapper-8

Reaction score
Thank you both for your comments..just curious about the weight loads. I try to stick with payload, but I was reading my vehicle booklet concerning towing and it read payload or axle weight when towing. My axle ratings are 6000 front / 6040 rear.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If you go by payload you wont get far. My payload is 2040lbs but going by axle weights im good for 4040lbs And i have been to and over the 4k limit often and it handles it like nothing…. Just the water tote is 2150lbs plus all my hunting gear/ fuel/ propane, and sxs in the trailer loaded with more gear

Not everyone agrees with my methods but my 05 had no issues for the 17 years i had it doing similar and the leafs did not handle 1/2 as much as the coils on my 19 i had to put a set of super springs on the 05

Attachments

• 3B6E328A-432D-4718-A46A-6D38DE825E8F.jpeg
    3B6E328A-432D-4718-A46A-6D38DE825E8F.jpeg
    665 KB · Views: 23

Sapper-8

Reaction score
If you go by payload you wont get far. My payload is 2040lbs but going by axle weights im good for 4040lbs And i have been to and over the 4k limit often and it handles it like nothing…. Just the water tote is 2150lbs plus all my hunting gear/ fuel/ propane, and sxs in the trailer loaded with more gear

Not everyone agrees with my methods but my 05 had no issues for the 17 years i had it doing similar and the leafs did not handle 1/2 as much as the coils on my 19 i had to put a set of super springs on the 05
I agree, especially with the payload, 2120. Trailer and equipment leaves me about 300 lbs before 10,000 GVWR. I was wondering if it were a big deal if I exceeded the GVWR, because according to the axle ratings I could haul a lot more than I have on the truck. Usually, somewhere around 4800 front axle and 4850 rear axle. I try not to exceed GVWR. When loaded and hauling my trailer, I don’t notice any squat in the springs and no problems pulling the load.

Darkside

Reaction score
My build sheet says 6000lb front axle, but my door tag say 5500lb…. Sooo what should I go by…

Sapper-8

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the information. Since I am new to towing, I guess I’ll ask my next question. As I stated earlier, I am at 9500 lbs of weight on the hitch w/ a weight distribution hitch, 4 pt equalizer. I plan to drive at a speed of 65-70 on highway. Question, tow haul, auto exhaust brake, lockout in 5th gear. Or should I go no tow haul, auto exhaust brake, do not lock out any gears? Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

I Love Grits

Reaction score
Try not to overthink it. Use tow/haul, turn on auto or full (dealers choice) and leave the tranny alone.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the information. Since I am new to towing, I guess I’ll ask my next question. As I stated earlier, I am at 9500 lbs of weight on the hitch w/ a weight distribution hitch, 4 pt equalizer. I plan to drive at a speed of 65-70 on highway. Question, tow haul, auto exhaust brake, lockout in 5th gear. Or should I go no tow haul, auto exhaust brake, do not lock out any gears? Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.
You are way overthinking it and it is subjective to where you are driving. I run T/H always when towing and usually have the EB on full and unless im towing in hilly windy areas i dont lock out any gears…

UglyViking

Reaction score
I'm sure others will argue, but go with GVWR and max cargo capacity as listed on the door sticker. Axle weight rating is just a part of the story.
What are other parts of the story? Axle ratings include all suspension, brakes and the axle itself. What else plays into the payload from your view?

CG_CWO4_Ret

Reaction score
What are other parts of the story? Axle ratings include all suspension, brakes and the axle itself. What else plays into the payload from your view?
The other parts of the story are the engine, transmission, springs, control arms, bushings, seals, brakes, tires, drive shafts, linkages, etc, etc, etc. All of the parts of the truck work together. The limiting factor is not the most robust piece of equipment, but the weakest one.

Edit to add: It's your truck, do what you want. Just let me know when you are rolling overloaded through North Texas so I can stay off the roads.

Users who are viewing this thread