Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Avoid Gator Brand Retractable Tonneau Cover

Scubaz66

Reaction score
First and Formost Admin could you please allow this to stay on this part of the Forum for a few days so New Members awaiting their new trucks can be pre-warned regarding purchasing a Tonneau Cover from this company?

A few months ago when I received my 2022 BH 2500 I mentioned ordering a Gator Brand Retractable Tonneau Cover. Several members ask me my opinion of the product as well as Gators Customer Service. Here is my opinion after trying to install the product and how well Customer Service is for this company:

I ordered the Gator Recoil Tonneau Cover total cost with tax and shipping was $950.00. They gave me a slight Military Discount. Apparently someone forgot to ship the product, but after a couple emails the product was finally shipped. Due to weather I wasn't able to install for a couple weeks as I didn't have a garage large enough for the truck to fit in. The first thing I noticed was this cover didn't install like all the videos I watched and the Canister didn't lay atop the bed rails at the front of the truck. Perplexed, I wondered why as the videos made it look so simple. I can pull and engine, rebuild and reinstall so figured I could install a simple Tonneau Cover.... LOL

After reading the instructions I found there were two rails that needed to be installed that was never identified in any of the videos I watched. After these were installed the Canister set evenly BETWEEN the truck rails resting on the extension rails. Passenger side rail lined up well with the Canister bracket however, the driver's side rail was 1/8" off allowing space for water to pour in. I didn't know if this space would line up during the final steps so I continued installation. Needless to say the problem didn't rectify itself.

I took pictures and filed a warranty claim. It took several emails and a Message through their Face Book page to get anyone to respond. The first couple people to respond sent the "Oh I'm So Sorry canned email response, but never followed up with me on the problem. Finally after a week and a half, someone requested I provide them my Serial Number. Where do you find the Serial Number I asked? It's on the product they stated. Where on the Product as I see no tags, stickers, engraved numbers, etc. After several emails back and forth we finally found the number on the box it arrived. Good thing I didn't toss the box out with the trash that evening.

Gator finally concluded it was the rails and after about a week of waiting new rails arrived. I waited a couple days until the weather cleared up again and began the process of taking apart and replacing the rails. Guess What? Yep! Same problem with the 1/8" gap between the rail and Canister. In the meantime I received an email stating my problem had been resolved.

I took pictures of the problem showing the problem was the Canister and not the rail. Whomever designed the Canister and drilled the holes for the rails to attach missed the mark. There were two holes drilled in the Canister to accept the rail and both holes were in the wrong place therefore when you align the rail with the Canister as the instructions state, there is a 1/8" gap which also causes a 1/8" difference at the tailgate location. Another gap for water intrusion.

I returned the email I had received explaining the problem hadn't been resolve along with pictures to prove the gap was still there and pictures showing the misalignment of the Canister and Rail and explained why. I never received a response so I tried to start another warrant claim by sending a new email. I once again received the Canned "So Sorry" Response, but never received followup help. After a few days I decided to once again try sending a Message via their Face Book site. An Individual once again answered my message stating they would get to me as soon as possible. It's been a week now and still no response.

Gator doesn't allow for reviews of their products on Face Book Page and now we know why because they would probably go out of business from lack of sales or a need to rebrand their product which is costly.

My overall opinion of the Gator Brand: Don't waste your money because Customer Service is practically non existing. The product may be OK, but the headache having to deal with Customer Service isn't worth the savings.

Next step is to contact Better Business Bureau and file a complaint then provide my Credit Card company with a copy of all the emails and messages identifying I was sold a defective product.

Wish me Luck! LOL

gator6

Reaction score
First and Formost Admin could you please allow this to stay on this part of the Forum for a few days so New Members awaiting their new trucks can be pre-warned regarding purchasing a Tonneau Cover from this company?

A few months ago when I received my 2022 BH 2500 I mentioned ordering a Gator Brand Retractable Tonneau Cover. Several members ask me my opinion of the product as well as Gators Customer Service. Here is my opinion after trying to install the product and how well Customer Service is for this company:

I ordered the Gator Recoil Tonneau Cover total cost with tax and shipping was $950.00. They gave me a slight Military Discount. Apparently someone forgot to ship the product, but after a couple emails the product was finally shipped. Due to weather I wasn't able to install for a couple weeks as I didn't have a garage large enough for the truck to fit in. The first thing I noticed was this cover didn't install like all the videos I watched and the Canister didn't lay atop the bed rails at the front of the truck. Perplexed, I wondered why as the videos made it look so simple. I can pull and engine, rebuild and reinstall so figured I could install a simple Tonneau Cover.... LOL

After reading the instructions I found there were two rails that needed to be installed that was never identified in any of the videos I watched. After these were installed the Canister set evenly BETWEEN the truck rails resting on the extension rails. Passenger side rail lined up well with the Canister bracket however, the driver's side rail was 1/8" off allowing space for water to pour in. I didn't know if this space would line up during the final steps so I continued installation. Needless to say the problem didn't rectify itself.

I took pictures and filed a warranty claim. It took several emails and a Message through their Face Book page to get anyone to respond. The first couple people to respond sent the "Oh I'm So Sorry canned email response, but never followed up with me on the problem. Finally after a week and a half, someone requested I provide them my Serial Number. Where do you find the Serial Number I asked? It's on the product they stated. Where on the Product as I see no tags, stickers, engraved numbers, etc. After several emails back and forth we finally found the number on the box it arrived. Good thing I didn't toss the box out with the trash that evening.

Gator finally concluded it was the rails and after about a week of waiting new rails arrived. I waited a couple days until the weather cleared up again and began the process of taking apart and replacing the rails. Guess What? Yep! Same problem with the 1/8" gap between the rail and Canister. In the meantime I received an email stating my problem had been resolved.

I took pictures of the problem showing the problem was the Canister and not the rail. Whomever designed the Canister and drilled the holes for the rails to attach missed the mark. There were two holes drilled in the Canister to accept the rail and both holes were in the wrong place therefore when you align the rail with the Canister as the instructions state, there is a 1/8" gap which also causes a 1/8" difference at the tailgate location. Another gap for water intrusion.

I returned the email I had received explaining the problem hadn't been resolve along with pictures to prove the gap was still there and pictures showing the misalignment of the Canister and Rail and explained why. I never received a response so I tried to start another warrant claim by sending a new email. I once again received the Canned "So Sorry" Response, but never received followup help. After a few days I decided to once again try sending a Message via their Face Book site. An Individual once again answered my message stating they would get to me as soon as possible. It's been a week now and still no response.

Gator doesn't allow for reviews of their products on Face Book Page and now we know why because they would probably go out of business from lack of sales or a need to rebrand their product which is costly.

My overall opinion of the Gator Brand: Don't waste your money because Customer Service is practically non existing. The product may be OK, but the headache having to deal with Customer Service isn't worth the savings.

Next step is to contact Better Business Bureau and file a complaint then provide my Credit Card company with a copy of all the emails and messages identifying I was sold a defective product.

Wish me Luck! LOL
I want to put out now that I am now, nor have I ever been associated with said company

thejeepnewb

Reaction score

Wish me Luck! LOL
Umm, why is this relevant in this thread?

P.A.

Reaction score

Wish me Luck! LOL
I sent you a PM.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
Umm, why is this relevant in this thread?
If you aren't concerned don't worry. Others who have already purchased and taken delivery or thinking about ordering aftermarket parts for their new trucks may appreciate the knowledge. If you read my initial statement I ask the Admin to please allow it for a few days because I knew it wasn't directly relevant to this thread. Brutal_HO does an awesome job as an Admin. I believe he understands my intentions. Brutal_HO I have no problem with you removing my post to please "thejeepnewb" . For the rest of the Members, Thank You for your understanding......

762fmj

Reaction score
I'm very happy with my rollnlock. CS has been handled through Tonneau Factory Outlet, not directly through RNL, but my canister lid came in damaged and they shipped me a new one the day after I sent pics.

Users who are viewing this thread