Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auxiliary Pusher Fan for long Idle (K9 + AC)

himesandseek

Reaction score
Hello All,

From what I have read these trucks (2016 Ram 2500 5.7L Crew Long bed 4x4 SLT) have adequate cooling at idle. However I am planning on running this for extended periods which I have been told on a few different forums (non Ram) that is a bad idea.

I have a Search and Rescue K9 that can stay in the truck for hours at a time during Callouts Trainings. I have an automatic remote start that kicks off at 75degrees and runs for 35min. Unfortunately it cuts off and doesn't check for another 2 hours. Prior to that I have to rely on a cell based temp monitor to remotely start the rig. I am planning on adding a zero breeze mark 2 portable AC but that will not give adequate cooling if the truck is in the sun without being covered by alumi-net (agriculture aluminized perforated tarp). If I install an Auxiliary fan as a pusher will it help this at all or at least not hurt the situation. I was told by a firefighter on my team that they leave the hoods up but I have not seen that in practice (I saw in a video from UAE that in the desert they say if you get stuck you should leave it running and the hood down which would be the opposite of his wisdom).

Is this a terrible idea, If so what is the likely and worst case scenario? I have no problem with changing fluids or performing extra routine maintenance if necessary.

What other things can I do to help the situation?

DammitDave

Reaction score
Have you looked into anything like AceK9 vehicle temperature controls? I know there are a few others out there too but can't remember their name. With a loved one left in the vehicle, I would probably pay to have a professional company set that up.

DammitDave

Reaction score
Follow this link, had some great info:

nickgbp

Reaction score
I work in the Utility business, our fleet has some units running this system.... zerorpm.com
Story I was told they supply systems to K9 units at the Texas border.
But, way more expensive than a pusher fan. :)

himesandseek

Reaction score
Have you looked into anything like AceK9 vehicle temperature controls? I know there are a few others out there too but can't remember their name. With a loved one left in the vehicle, I would probably pay to have a professional company set that up.
We did look into the AceK9. we ended up going with a Compustar Security with Temp and Remote start and tracking. if the temp gets to 74deg it will start up for 35min but then there is waiting period. we are looking at remote windows down with auto fans that would kick on after the Engine turns off.

DammitDave

Reaction score
Yes, I have noticed some dept. with that system that opens the windows. Honestly as far as your engine compartment temp. in my opinion a lot more goes in to engine compartment engineering these days for what they call a flow tunnel for air and cooling, I would not worry about popping the hood but I agree with adding a pusher fan to the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread