Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AutoPark needs to go away!

Hstone556

Reaction score
It threw me for a loop the first time I was backing up to a trailer and needed to pull up an inch... super lame feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redgst

Reaction score
I think if you buckle your seatbelt - that oddly overrides the autopark.... (if were talking about the same thing - door open - truck goes into park)

Ram_chas

Reaction score
I thought my truck was screwed up, my driveway is a hill. I backed(probably coasted) went to pull forward and it just sits and rev's. It took me a second to realize my door wasn't shut. I guess it trained me because now I look for the door light before I try to go into gear.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I'm not sure.
I have a pair of seat belt extenders that were in my F250 when I bought it.
They are sold at police supply shops. Not sure how the guy got them that i bought the truck from.
But i can plug it in without my seat belt on, stand up on the running board, with the door open, and drive the truck without it going i to park.
I also use them when offroading. That way I dont get the seat belt lock up and the chime doesent keep going off.

Chris1911

Reaction score
I kind of like it. Just about killed my family twice with my previous truck. Backing into a site, i would flip the knob to drive, thinking it was in park and jump out to check my position. The truck would start rolling, one time almost down a hill and into a lake. It only rolled a foot or two both times before jumping back in, but still scary. The knob is just not intuitive to my brain, if i'm flipping it in a hurry. I do it quite a bit. I have gotten to where i pause a sec and verify its position before letting off the brake. Never had an issue with a column shifter.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This has got to be the most absurd feature, especially for a truck that is used with trailers a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using

Its almost as bad as my 2005 the latest update makes it blast the horn if you have it in gear with your foot off the brake and the door open

These “safety” features they keep adding are a pain

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Its almost as bad as my 2005 the latest update makes it blast the horn if you have it in gear with your foot off the brake and the door open

These “safety” features they keep adding are a pain

I forbade the dealer from installing that on my 04.5.

The threat of ending his baby making abilities was taken to heart.

WXman

Reaction score
Seat belt extender for $15 fixes this forever. And you can still use the seatbelt normally.

AFF

Reaction score
Seat belt extender, great idea! I always had a tough time disconnecting my camper in Park. Having it in Neutral make it easier because the truck could roll a bit but the damn thing would always go to Park mode when I opened the door.

WXman

Reaction score
This isn't the exact ones I bought, but they look similar to this. I just leave it snapped in all the time. AutoPark is gone, and I can still use my belt on the highway like normal.

troverman

Reaction score
The whole rotary shifter is a dumb idea. I far prefer the column design. On a 1500 with the electric parking brake, it applies that as well if you open the door while in drive or reverse and no seat belt.

However, it will allow the vehicle to move if you are outside the vehicle, open the door, and push the brake pedal with your hand and then shift into D or R. I do this fairly frequently when I back under my gooseneck trailer only to find my alignment is off by a couple of inches.

The three horn blasts when you leave the engine running but get out the truck with the key fob in your pocket is awful too.

JimKIII

Reaction score
This isn't the exact ones I bought, but they look similar to this. I just leave it snapped in all the time. AutoPark is gone, and I can still use my belt on the highway like normal.

Just curious how an extender fakes out the AutoPark system? Is it just the fact that something is plugged into the seat belt that disables it....even if the seat belt with the extender is not fully hooked up?

troverman

Reaction score
Just curious how an extender fakes out the AutoPark system? Is it just the fact that something is plugged into the seat belt that disables it....even if the seat belt with the extender is not fully hooked up?
AutoPark does not engage if you are buckled up and open the door with the transmission in Drive or Reverse. The logic is that if you are buckled up, you aren't getting out and potentially run over by the vehicle. Hooking up the seat belt extender just means something is hooked into the seat belt buckle, so as far as the truck knows, the driver is hooked in.

Users who are viewing this thread