Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Deploy Running Boards Get Stuck When it is Hot Out

jpaeth

Reaction score
I have a '19 3500 Limited with the auto deploying side steps. When it is 100º+ out, they will get stuck. They will try to deploy when i open the door, but stop about halfway and go back in. Usually I can close the door and open it again to make it try again, and then it'll go. Sometimes they get stuck out too. Its very annoying.
I get a message saying "Side Steps Obstructed" but they work perfectly when it isn't scorching hot out.
Anyone else having similar issues?

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Assuming the factory steps have the same slotted brackets as the aftermarket Amp steps, I know it wouldn't be fun, but I'd suggest loosening the brackets slightly while they're getting stuck in the heat, then re-tighten.

It sounds to me like the expansion during the heat may be just enough to have pushed something out of alignment and then it catches.

jpaeth

Reaction score
Assuming the factory steps have the same slotted brackets as the aftermarket Amp steps, I know it wouldn't be fun, but I'd suggest loosening the brackets slightly while they're getting stuck in the heat, then re-tighten.

It sounds to me like the expansion during the heat may be just enough to have pushed something out of alignment and then it catches.
My understanding is that they are AMP steps just with a RAM logo on them. So I assume you are correct that they would have the same brackets. Its just so weird that they act like they are getting "stuck", but then i shut the door and they open just fine the next time. It's almost like its an electrical issue where they aren't getting the juice they need.

bearcat

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue won't work when it gets hot out . I have flushed all pivot points and hinges out with penetrating fluid and lubed with WD-40 . Does anyone know if just the motor can be replaced ? Ram parts show that you have to buy the entire running board assembly. No replacement parts except the module

jsalbre

Reaction score
The OEM power steps are not Amp, they’re constructed different and sit very differently against the body.

That said, I’d second the suggestion from last year about loosening the bolts when it’s hot and then retightening them.

Users who are viewing this thread