Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At what mileage is the 6.4 considered "broken in"?

jadmt

Reaction score
I can’t find documentation of this recommendation anywhere…
because Ram does not make that recommendation....some person who works at a ram dealership always thinks they know more than the people who designed the engine...

Enve46

Reaction score
because Ram does not make that recommendation....some person who works at a ram dealership always thinks they know more than the people who designed the engine...
Not saying you’re wrong but I bought my truck out of state so there’d be no gain for the dealer to recommend it

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Not saying you’re wrong but I bought my truck out of state so there’d be no gain for the dealer to recommend it
They are likely so used to babiling that out to customers they did not even check to see where you are from

Enve46

Reaction score
They are likely so used to babiling that out to customers they did not even check to see where you are from
I drove in 3.5 hours that am, picked me up at the rental car place, talked about trails in my area and surrounding he’s hit… he knew. Again, Im not saying anyone here is wrong but I’ve heard it from him and several others on the 6.4 specifically an oil change by 3k is “recommended” not something you have to do but should. Seems like a rather small gain, especially since the first oil change at my selling dealer would have been free but I’m not driving 7 hours round trip for it. Kinda seems silly to make something up… BUT! We are talking about dealerships so I don’t put anything by them so

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
An early oil change is never a bad idea, but far from required anymore.

I did one on my ‘18, and ‘22, and will do one on the wife’s ‘23 Gladiator.

We bought our ‘03 4Runner with 30K on it and have no clue if one was done, but no oil related issues and it’s at 238K miles.

I like doing an early change, but I also realize that most the benefits are mental.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea just like my dealer said RAM recommends changing my oil at 7500 miles on my cummins for “severe duty” despite the manual saying different. It’s a marketing ploy and they got you with it….
Based on the multitude of oil analyses I’ve seen, the severe duty clause has merit. Not all engine oils are created equal. Oil manufacturers can use marketing ploys too….and quite often do. “Full synthetic” comes to mind. You should change your engine oil based on how your choice of engine oil holds up to the way you operate your vehicle. That holds true for both the 6.4 and 6.7 engines. (The manual does indeed say change your engine oil sooner, and states multiple reasons why that’s necessary. All of which are accurate. IE: extended idle time, heavy towing, using fuels with higher bio content etc)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Based on the multitude of oil analyses I’ve seen, the severe duty clause has merit. Not all engine oils are created equal. Oil manufacturers can use marketing ploys too….and quite often do. “Full synthetic” comes to mind. You should change your engine oil based on how your choice of engine oil holds up to the way you operate your vehicle. That holds true for both the 6.4 and 6.7 engines. (The manual does indeed say change your engine oil sooner, and states multiple reasons why that’s necessary. All of which are accurate. IE: extended idle time, heavy towing, using fuels with higher bio content etc)
Sorry i left out the part he said severe duty because of the colder climate. Also oil analysis proves the only one to have merit is long idle times but the oil change indicator in the EVIC compensates for that.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry i left out the part he said severe duty because of the colder climate. Also oil analysis proves the only one to have merit is long idle times but the oil change indicator in the EVIC compensates for that
Idle time is definitely important, and something that should be avoided as much as possible….gas and diesel. The oil life indicator doesn’t take into account regeneration cycles on the diesels, which contribute to fuel dilution. If an owner blindly follows the gauge, they may find themselves with a severely degraded engine oil and a higher risk for component failure.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Idle time is definitely important, and something that should be avoided as much as possible….gas and diesel. The oil life indicator doesn’t take into account regeneration cycles on the diesels, which contribute to fuel dilution. If an owner blindly follows the gauge, they may find themselves with a severely degraded engine oil and a higher risk for component failure.
I was avging 4-5 short regens between 24k km oil changes so not a big deal either. Plus oil analysis showed the oil still in great shape and could be ran much longer

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I was avging 4-5 short regens between 24k km oil changes so not a big deal either. Plus oil analysis showed the oil still in great shape and could be ran much longer
I don’t know what you mean by “4-5 short regens” your truck sees way more than 4 or 5 cycles in 15,000 miles.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don’t know what you mean by “4-5 short regens” your truck sees way more than 4 or 5 cycles in 15,000 miles.
It may have seen a couple more but they were all highway miles so even the 24hr schedule there were not many in that period, thats not important the fact that the oil is in great shape is more important than if i missed a few regens but they were all on the 24hr schedule regardless my soot level never went over 1/4 the 3 times it showed anything on the gauge. The regens never happen now so even that is irrelevant. The point being the oil change indicator is perfectly fine to go by.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
It may have seen a couple more but they were all highway miles so even the 24hr schedule there were not many in that period, thats not important the fact that the oil is in great shape is more important than if i missed a few regens but they were all on the 24hr schedule regardless my soot level never went over 1/4 the 3 times it showed anything on the gauge. The regens never happen now so even that is irrelevant. The point being the oil change indicator is perfectly fine to go by.
A “couple more” won’t hurt anything. But trucks that have more severe issues are doing it 10 times the normal amount. Some accumulating 6-10% fuel in half the normal oil change interval and the oil life indicator doesn’t account for that. Thats especially bad if the operator is not fully aware of how the emissions system works. (Or doesn’t pay attention). The oil life indicator doesn’t apply to every scenario and should only be used as a relative guide if everything else is working properly.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

At an average speed of 45 mph you would have over 13 active regens in 15,000 miles.

At an average speed of 35 mph you would have over 17 active regens in 15,000 miles.

The oil change indicator is perfectly fine to go by on a truck that’s working normally. Since it’s algorithm based it won’t sense any fuel from malfunctioning components.

Users who are viewing this thread