Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arrrgh Tires

Hibiki54

Reaction score
You don't have to worry about rubbing until you go to 37s with the stock lift. If you change wheels you want a 5-3/4" backspacing (roughly a +18-25 offset depending on if you are running a 9-8.5 wide wheel). I'm on 37x17x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers and they run close to 37" at 50 psi and are also wider because of the tread design. A lot of rubbing at full turn and fully flexed. I'm on stock lift. As for height, I am sitting at ~6'10" measured from the highest point which is the very top of the antenna fin when running my tires at 43-45 psi. I cannot fit in my garage unless I drop to low teens or single digit psi in the front.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
You can reset the TPMS threshold with Alfaobd. I rest mi e to 20 PSI.
I run 40 front/35 rear when hot. If i put in a load, then I raise it to where I need it.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
You can reset the TPMS threshold with Alfaobd. I rest mi e to 20 PSI.
I run 40 front/35 rear when hot. If i put in a load, then I raise it to where I need it.
Hot inflation is a poor method to use. cold inflation is the standard for a reason and it makes much more sense if you understand the ideal gas law.

phatboy64

Reaction score
They have offered to do it for $1-200. I heard about AlfaOBD but don't have a PC to run it
JScan will run on IOS but if all you are going to do is change your tire size and the dealer will do it for $100 you are probably better off going that route

Enve46

Reaction score
Love the JScan for Apple. Works great and leaves the option to expand later

MacDuff

Reaction score
I'm running the 35x12.5 Toyo Open Country RT's bone stock with OEM wheels and AEV Procal update. Couldn't be happier with the entire set up.
No mods whatsoever, no rubbing at all to this point at all (4.5k miles). Love the tires, surprisingly good traction even in wet, noise is comparable to the Duratracs.
I'm sure a less aggressive tire would be a bit quieter, but honestly I have ZERO regrets with this tire. Great looks and few compromises.
I've run a ton of competing tires and so far, these are my favorites.
Other tires I've run recently on various trucks:
Ridge Grapplers, Mickey Thompson AT, BFG KO2, Toyo Open Country AT3, Falken Wildpeak AT3, Goodyear Duratracs.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I can’t help you on garage height. I’m also not sure about the radius arm clearance of 315s on stock wheels but I can help you measure. The bolt you pictured is a tie rod end on the drag link and it won’t get any closer to the tire if you change tire size.

What size is your current tire? 285/70-17? ( based on google) which is 32.7” Are you staying on stock wheels? (I don’t recommend going to 18” wheels. 17 is a better size for tire availability and cost) Going wider is usually a tighter fit than going taller when it comes to clearance on stock wheels. If you go up to 315/70 that’s like a 35 (34.3) or 1.6” taller so you need 7/8” of height and you’re going wider by 30mm or 15mm (5/8”) out each sidewall. So check your lock to lock and see if you have room to go up and out by that much at the radius arm and swaybar etc whatever is closest. 285/75 is only ~1” taller without being wider but it’s about the same height that comes on non pw 18” trucks

Side note a regular 2500 has taller tires from the factory than a pw despite the power wagon having taller suspension. My Regular 2500 stock size was 275/70-18 (33.1”)

Anyway i have aftermarket wheels but I have duratracs in 285/75-18 which are taller than those options (taller than 35 shorter than 37) and they fit my non-pw2500 just fine. No rubbing through the entire range of suspension and wheel travel. With a 1” level my truck should still be shorter than your truck.

Next to a 37x12.50
View attachment 67750

On the rig.
View attachment 67751View attachment 67753
You pull your trailer with them yet, notice any diff?…did you reprogram the whatever for tire size?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
You pull your trailer with them yet, notice any diff?…did you reprogram the whatever for tire size?
Yea they seem fine. Even though they’re softer than the nittos were they don't feel squirmy or anything.

I feel like you spend more time off pavement at least with your Ram, I think it should be noted that people say duratracs have a thin/ soft sidewall. Mine sees forests service roads and stuff with the family and some rutted out areas as tow rig duty but not really side wall cutting situations.

Yes, I calibrated my speedometer when I first put the 285/75-18 nittos on and I got it pretty close and it’s still pretty close so I haven’t messed with it

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Yea they seem fine. Even though they’re softer than the nittos were they don't feel squirmy or anything.

I feel like you spend more time off pavement at least with your Ram, I think it should be noted that people say duratracs have a thin/ soft sidewall. Mine sees forests service roads and stuff with the family and some rutted out areas as tow rig duty but not really side wall cutting situations.

Yes, I calibrated my speedometer when I first put the 285/75-18 nittos on and I got it pretty close and it’s still pretty close so I haven’t messed with it
Two things keeping me from going bigger..my garage door which might not allow it and that electro recalibration.
My pumpkins are so low, big and low.
I know it’s pretty flat country there but your trailer weighs super fat compared to what I pull, was wondering how your truck took to towing with bigger treads..you have the 4.10s?
What about a spare?…you went pretty large.

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Two things keeping me from going bigger..my garage door which might not allow it and that electro recalibration.
I know it’s pretty flat country there but your trailer weighs super fat compared to what I pull, was wondering how your truck took to towing with bigger treads..you have the 4.10s?
Tennessee mountains are what I deal with most often, no big deal for the truck but mild compared to out west mountain passes. I have 3.73s and a stock size spare (33.5”) if I can’t plug it on the truck.

Truck chugs along just fine, hangs out in 7th mostly. 67mph is 2k on the nose in 7th. Downshift to 5 and you’re only 3100 rpm. 67/7th is a good 10mpg zone for me with the 8k extra height enclosed behind me. Downhill it’ll shift to 8, uphill shift to 6 sometimes 5. Cruise control is reactive, as always, so it’ll downshift and rev more aggressively than if I’m using my foot and planning by rolling into hills. If I bump up speed over 70 or let cruise handle it I’ll drop to mid 9 mpg

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
I didn’t snap any pics but my ol’man has a ‘22 with a 2 or 2.5” level and running 35’s, it fits in my standard 7’ garages (I couldn’t resist seeing if it would fit).

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Tennessee mountains are what I deal with most often, no big deal for the truck but mild compared to out west mountain passes. I have 3.73s and a stock size spare (33.5”) if I can’t plug it on the truck.

Truck chugs along just fine, hangs out in 7th mostly. 67mph is 2k on the nose in 7th. Downshift to 5 and you’re only 3100 rpm. 67/7th is a good 10mpg zone for me with the 8k extra height enclosed behind me. Downhill it’ll shift to 8, uphill shift to 6 sometimes 5. Cruise control is reactive, as always, so it’ll downshift and rev more aggressively than if I’m using my foot and planning by rolling into hills. If I bump up speed over 70 or let cruise handle it I’ll drop to mid 9 mpg
Pulling ~4k of tall/small TT and boat I’ll see 3k+ rpm and 4k+ often and for miles sometimes, even 5k+ some if cruise control has it’s way..these things will thrash themselves if allowed so I often shut off CC on very long grades. All is up or down here, see 8th a lot too so all around MPG is ok.
I am leery of making things harder on by bigger treads, sure would like more clearance once getting there though.
I didn’t snap any pics but my ol’man has a ‘22 with a 2 or 2.5” level and running 35’s, it fits in my standard 7’ garages (I couldn’t resist seeing if it would fit).
A PW?

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Pulling ~4k of tall/small TT and boat I’ll see 3k+ rpm and 4k+ often and for miles sometimes, even 5k+ some if cruise control has it’s way..these things will thrash themselves if allowed so I often shut off CC on very long grades. All is up or down here, see 8th a lot too so all around MPG is ok.
I am leery of making things harder on by bigger treads, sure would like more clearance once getting there though.

A PW?
Should have clarified that, my bad. Not a PW but sits just as high as one on 35’s

Enve46

Reaction score
Can confirm, stock PW in 37s does NOT clear 7’ garages. I tried, doesn’t happen. Unless you’re running a small 37 you might have a cunt hair clearance

Users who are viewing this thread