Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arizona Native with a new PW

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I don't know if they're the same intakes/filters on both gas and diesel but if they are then it's a waste of time to change anything on a gasser if it flows enough air for a diesel.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Yes I agree that stock filtration will filter filter filter. But it restricts the daylights out of it. Proper Maintinance IE oil changes and proper re-oiling of the filter will keep a large majority out. I live in AZ doesn’t matter what you use. Dust gets in everything. I’ll take the better flow and baby bump on power. But each to their own.
Ya, your KnN doesn't restrict the "daylights" cuz it made of holes that don't filter anything. :D

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
factory intake on the Hemi is a cold air intake. If you pull the cover off the top of the radiator, you can see that it is a large intake scoop that is as wide as the radiator. It pulls in air from in front of the radiator. It provides more air than the hemi will ever need. And if I remember right, there is a baffle in the intake plenum that opens when more air is required for the engine.

So the only thing that is needed is a good quality filter to keep the dirt out and not impede flow.

Lord muta

Reaction score
Wow, So many opinions that clash lol. Didn't mean to push the belittle/berate button. Again, To each their own. I'll take the flow improvement. OEM is OEM designed to do what they want. aftermarket is designed to meet a need someone desires. The factory intake is cold air and well made for the truck, no need to change it. I have never had an issue with K&N filters always did good for me on my Jeeps, trucks, and toys. Proper maintenance on schedule keeps machines working well. I've seen Many filters cave in and become a bypass anyways due to excessive dust build up. (lack of proper maintenance) I've also seen this happen on the trail that happened to be very dusty that trip. OEM vs. Aftermarket 'cotton' style filter (K&N or others) always was the OEM that failed on the trail first. I always just changed my oil a little early and did proper maintenance for the situation. I've never liked the OEM filtration media always restricted airflow too much. Not to mention the cost of having to replace them all the time. (price varies on each situation but back in the day living paycheck to paycheck K&N made more sense. properly cleaned and oiled gave adequate filtration and longevity.) Now cost isn't so much the issue for me, I just like the other style.

AH64ID's OPINION is that OEM is best, their opinion is theirs and more power to ya. My OPINION differs for myself. I like what K&N does for my rides. bring on the Holes! lol I like the ready made bypass options lol. Don't over think it is all I'm getting at, and many tend (myself included) to overthink. Enjoy the ride, it doesn't last forever.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I do agree that there are better than OEM options out there.
But I don't put K&N up there on that list. Lots of videos out that show the issues.

It may be lack of maintenance on the filter. Not sure.

But yea, the intake housing is already good to go. True CAI from the factory.
There are a few aftermarket ones out there that keep the factory front end, just a different filter box and filter. Does it make a big improvement? Not sure. Does it make enough improvement to justify the cost? Again not sure. I'd want to see side by side comparissions on a chassis dyno.

Wilard

Reaction score
Wow, So many opinions that clash lol. Didn't mean to push the belittle/berate button. Again, To each their own. I'll take the flow improvement. OEM is OEM designed to do what they want. aftermarket is designed to meet a need someone desires. The factory intake is cold air and well made for the truck, no need to change it. I have never had an issue with K&N filters always did good for me on my Jeeps, trucks, and toys. Proper maintenance on schedule keeps machines working well. I've seen Many filters cave in and become a bypass anyways due to excessive dust build up. (lack of proper maintenance) I've also seen this happen on the trail that happened to be very dusty that trip. OEM vs. Aftermarket 'cotton' style filter (K&N or others) always was the OEM that failed on the trail first. I always just changed my oil a little early and did proper maintenance for the situation. I've never liked the OEM filtration media always restricted airflow too much. Not to mention the cost of having to replace them all the time. (price varies on each situation but back in the day living paycheck to paycheck K&N made more sense. properly cleaned and oiled gave adequate filtration and longevity.) Now cost isn't so much the issue for me, I just like the other style.

AH64ID's OPINION is that OEM is best, their opinion is theirs and more power to ya. My OPINION differs for myself. I like what K&N does for my rides. bring on the Holes! lol I like the ready made bypass options lol. Don't over think it is all I'm getting at, and many tend (myself included) to overthink. Enjoy the ride, it doesn't last forever.
Good read. Well stated. Positive and appreciated. Definitely enjoy the ride! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread