Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are there more 6.4's on the road now?

Firebird

Reaction score
Is it just my area, or are you guys seeing a lot more 6.4 HD's on the road these days? Cummins has always been the clear leader, but man oh man, I'm seeing a pile of 6.4's on the road now. I'm wondering if all of the ridiculous emission issues plaguing diesels, or the EPA with hunts are pushing folks back over to gas? It definitely pushed me over.

Bigspender101

Reaction score
I just bought a 2022 Ram 6.4. Im in Norther California and I rarely see the 6.4 out here. It's mostly Cummings. There was only 2 reasons I went with the 6.4. Im not going to drive it that much. with diesel I hear you have to drive them a lot or it will gunk up the def system. Second is I got a killer deal on it. I can flip it right now for 10,000 over what I paid....

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
I’m seeing alot more around my area. CTD still rules the day but there are a lot of 6.4’s running around which is a significant change from just a couple of years ago.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
my guess is a decent percentage of new hemi owners are coming straight from a 1500

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Still very few of them in my area.

jebruns

Reaction score
Mostly Cummins around here. Heck, the reason I went with Ram over the Ford and GM was to get the Cummins. I have owned diesel 2500 trucks from all of the big 3.

Enve46

Reaction score
I see a lot of Hemi fleet vehicles here in TN but diesel is still most popular. I think you’ll start seeing more people who don’t use diesels to their full potential move over due to the headaches. However out here people probably average 25-30 minute commutes which will help a diesel be less of a headache emission wise.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I have noticed more 6.4's in Central Texas the last few years. When I bought mine in mid 2020 it seemed like the CTD was the favorite, now it's kinda even. I'd guess it's folks who don't tow regularly and don't drive it a ton, but still wanna be able to tow the boat/camper/trailer on the weekends.

Enve46

Reaction score
It my opinion this is probably for varying reasons for many people however I think it comes down to two reasons people are buying gas trucks now. First, I think Fords 7.3 opened peoples eyes to the capability of a gas HD truck which only helped the 6.4 sales. Two, overall costs- purchase price and operating expenses. Im referring to the daily driver, not the person using their truck at its full potential daily. But in my own experience, there isn't much, if any, of a cost savings in the fuel economy in the diesel, the oil changes are more, the fuel filter costs, DEF etc.

WXman

Reaction score
A lot more 6.4 trucks here too.

Back when the trucks were $40K it wasn't so hard to justify a $9k engine add-on. But now that trucks are $65k, guys are having second thoughts.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Is it just my area, or are you guys seeing a lot more 6.4 HD's on the road these days? Cummins has always been the clear leader, but man oh man, I'm seeing a pile of 6.4's on the road now. I'm wondering if all of the ridiculous emission issues plaguing diesels, or the EPA with hunts are pushing folks back over to gas? It definitely pushed me over

Or maybe people realizing they don't need a 6.7?
I certainly don't need it for what I'm towing.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Or maybe people realizing they don't need a 6.7?
I certainly don't need it for what I'm towing.

I probably don’t need it at 22-23K GCWR, but I’ve towed with gas rigs (not super modern ones albeit) at 90%+ of their GCWR and it’s just not as enjoyable as a diesel.

I ran my 05 over GCWR, I wouldn’t want to do that with gas. My .02.

snocam

Reaction score
I really like my 6.4. I've owned a bunch of trucks. My last one was a ford f350 7.3 gasser that I ordered in 2021, received in December of 2021. It's been mentioned plenty in this forum about my ordeal with that truck and it's failed driveshaft forcing me into a trade for my current ram the day before a family vacation to Maine. I can tell you that yes, we see a bunch of 6.4s around here, and paired with the zf 8spd, they are great performance wise. Plus, they are in a truck that actually looks awesome!

Grey

Reaction score
Gas,Diesel, pretty much a equation of what works for you. Heavy hauling, I'd go to diesel. I just hope that with all the emission mess going on they don't gut them to worthless. I run 5.7 and 6.4 on gas. I'm probably jaded, I ran a fleet of semis for years. If I never have to deal with a cold gelled up truck in my life that will be fine by me. Although, I dont run semi's myself anymore, we have a good 45 to 50 around the complex. I smile as I watch the mechanics cursing like a sailor dragging out booster packs to get some smuck started and out of the way. Same token, if they had a pure mechanical injector, no electrics, no pikzy fairys in a 2500 I'd be all over one. But I'm a curmudgeon and still play LPs

carrera1984

Reaction score
There getting more popular around Chicagoland. Still a lot of Cummins... loving my 6.4 though. I just don’t see 2500 and cummins making any sense as long as you spec the 4.10 gearing in the gasser. Problem with the 2500 is it costs almost 1000 pounds because of the Cummins weight. Gvw is only 10,000. To stay legal and safe hauling/towing, the 6.4 is the winner. Now jump up to a 3500 and hands down go for the cummins. Way more gvwr to play with.

Speedracer93CobraR

Reaction score
Arkansas - the Hemi has become more desirable to farmers here. There are far more gas burning HD's on the road here now than there were 2 or 3 years ago. It is not just with RAM, but it's harder to get an HD Ford in gas than diesel right now. These guys are finding that the emissions are a problem and the dusty environments seem to be worse on the diesels.

Bigspender101

Reaction score
There getting more popular around Chicagoland. Still a lot of Cummins... loving my 6.4 though. I just don’t see 2500 and cummins making any sense as long as you spec the 4.10 gearing in the gasser. Problem with the 2500 is it costs almost 1000 pounds because of the Cummins weight. Gvw is only 10,000. To stay legal and safe hauling/towing, the 6.4 is the winner. Now jump up to a 3500 and hands down go for the cummins. Way more gvwr to play with.
What year is your 6.4?

Users who are viewing this thread