Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the current RAM Beds Dustproof and Waterproof?

RiverRunner

Reaction score
I want to buy a cap for my crew cab longbed, but I don't want to buy a very expensive cap if the truck itself leaks. Have people found the box on recent RAM trucks to be water proof and dustproof? The truck has factory spray-in bed liner. I see references to current Ford boxes having spaces in the box seams where water and dust gets in.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I want to buy a cap for my crew cab longbed, but I don't want to buy a very expensive cap if the truck itself leaks. Have people found the box on recent RAM trucks to be water proof and dustproof? The truck has factory spray-in bed liner. I see references to current Ford boxes having spaces in the box seams where water and dust gets in.
I got a cheap tonneau cover on Amazon of the "folding type" and it doesn't leak and took about 45 minutes to install. It has turned out great. Dust? Sorry, good luck as you cannot totally stop dust, just get over it. I've seen people obsess about that and get the most expensive tonneau systems and still are upset because the dust gets in.... I just got back from a trip and had to run down a 25 miles dirt road. It actually wasn't horrible when we got back but definitely had to "dust off" a coat back there and a finger on a box sure was dusty but not obnoxiously so. I use the big yellow cover plastic boxes for most traveling storage back there and between the tonneau and the box cover everything in the boxes was pretty untouched. Except for the most expensive rear caps, I'm thinking they might actually be worse than a taughtly stretched tonneau cover over a bed... But I'm thinking with the right window insulation tape between the cap and bed, no leaking. I get this stuff that is compressed on a tape roll and when you pull it off, it expands to over an inch thick if you let it. The idea is that you pull it off the tape and install it immediately. That stuff works good particularly in little nooks and crannies as it expands and like for me, if you see a point of light when the tonneau closed and you get even a little piece of it in there the light disappears and because of its "expansion" characteristics it isn't going anywhere... It's like this. I suppose if you are obsessive about dust, this stuff is your best bet for sealing anything up. https://www.amazon.com/13-Feet-Expa...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863979552429&psc=1

Last edited:

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
About the only cap that will be close to weather tight and keep dust out (to a minimum at least) would be one of the RSI Smartcaps or similar. They have an “air scoop” that creates positive pressure which will help.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If you don't want dust or water buy a pannel van. Its a truck you will have dust and water the beds have drain holes and other slots so the only way to keep the dust out is to seal them all off

waveslayer

Reaction score
Biggest thing you'll need to do is seal up the area around the tailgate. I do it on all my trucks and get almost zero dust. There are kits on Amazon

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

z06psi

Reaction score
I have a Backflip MX4 and live down a dirt road. The inside of the bed gets just as dusty as the sides of the truck do. So no they are not near dust proof.

Truckman

Reaction score
I have an ARE on mine, so far everything is waterproof except around the tailgate on each corner on the bottom.

RiverRunner

Reaction score
I have an ARE on mine, so far everything is waterproof except around the tailgate on each corner on the bottom.
Have you tried the rubber tailgate gasket material to stop the leak? I've seen this stuff at RV stores.

RiverRunner

Reaction score
If you don't want dust or water buy a pannel van. Its a truck you will have dust and water the beds have drain holes and other slots so the only way to keep the dust out is to seal them all off
Happy wife, happy life. Dusty wife, unhappy life...............

flan

Reaction score
I bet if you got a bed rug, along with a good cap and the tailgate gap filler (including up the sides) it will be pretty close to dustproof.

RiverRunner

Reaction score
OP here. Thanks everyone who responded - OK, maybe not the guy with the wisecrack about my wife........
I think I'll add a Bedrug and the tailgate gap blocking components and see where we are.
Still have not finally decided A.R.E. or Leer - but will probably go Leer due to the local dealer's reputation.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
maybe not the guy with the wisecrack about my wife........
Welcome to the internet perhaps you should be able to take a joke as that was a damn funny one it was not mean or rude just pure humour.

Those things will get you pretty close to eliminating the dust so you are on the right trac

flan

Reaction score
OP here. Thanks everyone who responded - OK, maybe not the guy with the wisecrack about my wife........
I think I'll add a Bedrug and the tailgate gap blocking components and see where we are.
Still have not finally decided A.R.E. or Leer - but will probably go Leer due to the local dealer's reputation.
He’s a great guy, heck most are on here. You will see as you hang around a bit there’s some ball busting between members, it make the site like a big dysfunctional family. You just got a ride on the welcome wagon a little bit early on in your membership lol. Sit back and laugh, it’s healthy.

RiverRunner

Reaction score
You guys assumed I wasn't just having fun as well? Usually when a guy ends a sentence with a string of periods, it is a clue the comment was made in jest.
I'll definitely be more reserved in the future. I learned to not kid the "in crowd."

Redfour5

Reaction score
About the only cap that will be close to weather tight and keep dust out (to a minimum at least) would be one of the RSI Smartcaps or similar. They have an “air scoop” that creates positive pressure which will help.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You guys assumed I wasn't just having fun as well? Usually when a guy ends a sentence with a string of periods, it is a clue the comment was made in jest.
I'll definitely be more reserved in the future. I learned to not kid the "in crowd."
…. Can mean many things if it was ment as a joke all good :D

Users who are viewing this thread