Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are HO Cummins falling out of favor for SO for "22 3500?

Herrred

Reaction score
While looking at the '22 Rams for a potential upgrade to a 3500, I've notice that dealer inventories have most of the 3500 with the SO. Also noticed that Blind Spot is all but gone except in the Longhorn and Limited trims. I assume the latter is due to the chip shortage. I'm not looking to start a fight between the SO/HO community, just wondering if anyone has seen this as well and are privy to any logic behind it besides the $3k reduction in price?

tolym

Reaction score
While looking at the '22 Rams for a potential upgrade to a 3500, I've notice that dealer inventories have most of the 3500 with the SO. Also noticed that Blind Spot is all but gone except in the Longhorn and Limited trims. I assume the latter is due to the chip shortage. I'm not looking to start a fight between the SO/HO community, just wondering if anyone has seen this as well and are privy to any logic behind it besides the $3k reduction in price?

IMO that’s all that’s it’s coming down to. 3k for inventory truck is a good bit especially nowadays because those 3k can go towards “market adjustment” and in dealers pockets. They sell most inventory trucks above MSRP right now.
A lot of people that want HO are ordering their trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Comes down to chip shortage and inventory shortage. I too have blindspot monitoring missing on my 2021 but don't care because I still have the LED tail lights.

Mine was the only high output on the lot. I got there as soon as it got off the trailer basically and they already had 3 people calling about it. I'm glad my cousin held it for me. The only reason why they had the truck is because the dealer special ordered it like most HO owners would do as mentioned already.

The1adman

Reaction score
I think its just what the dealers have. When I was shopping for my 20 and then 21, most dealer inventory was SO. When a SRW HO hit the lot is sold quickly.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
By wanting a 1 ton truck, it sounds as if you either outgrew a 3/4, or simply want the most that a "light" duty truck has to offer.

In that case, why would anyone want the SO in a 1 ton? Fleet vehicle maybe? SO makes sense if you buy a 2500, but in my not so humble opinion, if youre buying a 3500, youre wanting a max-effort light duty truck and in that case--you must go HO.

HO does not disappoint and neither does the Aisin.

Reaction score
By wanting a 1 ton truck, it sounds as if you either outgrew a 3/4, or simply want the most that a "light" duty truck has to offer.

In that case, why would anyone want the SO in a 1 ton? Fleet vehicle maybe? SO makes sense if you buy a 2500, but in my not so humble opinion, if youre buying a 3500, youre wanting a max-effort light duty truck and in that case--you must go HO.

Not to mention my truck configured exactly the same way but with the SO engine and 68rfe, max tow rating dropped from 34,000 to just over 19,000, with exactly the same options otherwise.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
I would have bought a 3500 if I had found one with the SO and the 68rfe. I did not want the Aisin.
No shade thrown on my HO brothers. But, when I ordered my '22, I thought long and hard about the HO or the SO. My inner child wanted the biggest, baddest thing they make...the HO. But, most of my driving is not towing, and when I do, it's not 35,000 lbs. So, the phrase I heard about the HO/Aisin "pulls like a freight train, drives like a school bus" rang through my head. I had a SO dually which was fun to drive when not towing...so, I went SO dually for my new truck.

Herrred

Reaction score

Yup, makes sense to me. This weekend I traded my '21 2500 Laramie for a '21 3500 Laramie and already put 300+ miles on it. No towing yet. Just highway miles to get a feel of it. Small hesitation when acceleating from a stop, but otherwise runs like a champ. Got 20mpg highway which was on par with the SO. Engine brake is much better than the SO power plant.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Yup, makes sense to me. This weekend I traded my '21 2500 Laramie for a '21 3500 Laramie and already put 300+ miles on it. No towing yet. Just highway miles to get a feel of it. Small hesitation when acceleating from a stop, but otherwise runs like a champ. Got 20mpg highway which was on par with the SO. Engine brake is much better than the SO power plant.

20mpg is impressive! My best to a tank so far is just over 17mpg unloaded in my dually with 4.10's.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
No shade thrown on my HO brothers. But, when I ordered my '22, I thought long and hard about the HO or the SO. My inner child wanted the biggest, baddest thing they make...the HO. But, most of my driving is not towing, and when I do, it's not 35,000 lbs. So, the phrase I heard about the HO/Aisin "pulls like a freight train, drives like a school bus" rang through my head. I had a SO dually which was fun to drive when not towing...so, I went SO dually for my new truck.
This was a big reason for me as well. The other two- 1) I was planning on running a tune for the engine and trans. 2) I also don't care for the 30K service. I guess the 2nd one isn't that big of a deal.

jkempken

Reaction score
I custom ordered my 3500 SO because as stated by several others:; I daily drive it, use it to haul UTV's and snowmobiles to Montana and back from Wisconsin 2-3 times a year, and when the warranty is up it is easier to find performance parts and tunes on the 68.

Nd79

Reaction score
I would be interested to see if the fuel mileage really is that different SO vs HO. It was one of the reasons I went SO with my 3500. That and it drives great! I've read that the new Aisins drive pretty well too.

I went with the SO as mine is a business truck and I'm never towing more than 15k lbs, but towing almost 100% of the time. For me it came down to cost. Time will tell if I made the right decision.

The factors that pushed me towards the SO were these:

- Driveability (when researching I read the Aisin can be clunky but it seems that has been remedied with software updates)

- Fuel mileage, I burn a full tank every day (interested to see if there is a real difference or not)

- cost savings on longer trans fluid intervals

- upfront cost savings when ordering truck

I figured if my 68rfe lasts 150-200k before any major service I'd be ok with that. I would then pay for a rebuild what I would have paid upfront for the Aisin, and hopefully saved on fuel/fluids in the mean time. Like I said, time will tell if it was the right call. I do love how my truck drives and tows.

unclelala

Reaction score
I must be a diesel perv . I just love the sound of the HO and Aisin in tow haul mode and full exhaust brake slowing down and coming to a stop. I personally don't mind it as my daily driver, I wont be towing till the spring but I was all worried from reading about how rough and bus like the Aisin is but I got to say I have no complaints at all...Im liking it ! That is if it doesn't burn up that is.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Man the Aisin gets a lot of shade. I love the way it drives. I already have some performance mods done and it took the Aisin about 1000 miles to relearn with the higher power levels but it's smooth and firm shifting now. Maybe I'm just weird for liking it lol.

Transmission service is no big deal to me. I do the work and they make it real easy with a dip stick and a drain plug.

I custom ordered my 3500 SO because as stated by several others:; I daily drive it, use it to haul UTV's and snowmobiles to Montana and back from Wisconsin 2-3 times a year, and when the warranty is up it is easier to find performance parts and tunes on the 68.

^ parts are easy to find for both. Just gotta know where to look.

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Why did you buy a 3500? Maybe not necessary in your circumstance... the 2500 would have been a nicer-riding truck.

I would be interested to see if the fuel mileage really is that different SO vs HO. It was one of the reasons I went SO with my 3500. That and it drives great! I've read that the new Aisins drive pretty well too.

I went with the SO as mine is a business truck and I'm never towing more than 15k lbs, but towing almost 100% of the time. For me it came down to cost. Time will tell if I made the right decision.

The factors that pushed me towards the SO were these:

- Driveability (when researching I read the Aisin can be clunky but it seems that has been remedied with software updates)

- Fuel mileage, I burn a full tank every day (interested to see if there is a real difference or not)

- cost savings on longer trans fluid intervals

- upfront cost savings when ordering truck

I figured if my 68rfe lasts 150-200k before any major service I'd be ok with that. I would then pay for a rebuild what I would have paid upfront for the Aisin, and hopefully saved on fuel/fluids in the mean time. Like I said, time will tell if it was the right call. I do love how my truck drives and tows.

Towing MPG--SO vs HO will be a dead heat. Youll have more passing and hill climbing power in the HO--noticeably more. For a fleet truck, it doesnt matter though.. sounds like you made the right choice.

Unloaded? SO walks all over the HO in MPG. Granted, my new truck is a dually with 4.10's, but i have yet to break 18 mpg with my truck unloaded... best is just over 17 to a tank hand calced.

My 2016 2500 truck with SO would get near 20mpg unloaded if i drove it nice..

Man the Aisin gets a lot of shade. I love the way it drives. I already have some performance mods done and it took the Aisin about 1000 miles to relearn with the higher power levels but it's smooth and firm shifting now. Maybe I'm just weird for liking it lol.

Transmission service is no big deal to me. I do the work and they make it real easy with a dip stick and a drain plug.

^ parts are easy to find for both. Just gotta know where to look.

They drive just fine and actually VERY similar to the 68rfe trucks. The first service (30k) is fluid only... drop drain plug, measure amount drained, refill with same amount of NEW fluid. That's it... easy as pie. 60k service is fluid and filter.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
They drive just fine and actually VERY similar to the 68rfe trucks. The first service (30k) is fluid only... drop drain plug, measure amount drained, refill with same amount of NEW fluid. That's it... easy as pie. 60k service is fluid and filter.
Yes they do. Shifts through the first few gears quicker than a 68rfe would because of the ratios. Yup! It is easy as pie. May swap to a deeper pan when the 60k service rolls around but quite frankly I see no use for it now.

Users who are viewing this thread