Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARE Caps Don’t Fit with Cargo Camera = Fake News

JasonLVNV

Reaction score
Sorry to borrow a phrase from our orange leader, but I just wanted to share that my ARE CX cap fits no problem. Transferred it from my 2018 to my 2019 no problem. There is plenty of clearance between the enlarged cargo camera/third brake light. It fit even better on my new ride than the old one.

Jason

Battlecat204

Reaction score
Thanks for the post.
Do you guys have Leer caps available?
They seem to be much more popular than ARE caps, locally, for some reason.

I purchased a Leer and will post fitment pics on a 2500 mega cab with 3rd brake light camera

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Haven't seen anyone post up a pic of a LEER cap, I have an ARE MX cap myself.

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
Sorry to borrow a phrase from our orange leader, but I just wanted to share that my ARE CX cap fits no problem. Transferred it from my 2018 to my 2019 no problem. There is plenty of clearance between the enlarged cargo camera/third brake light. It fit even better on my new ride than the old one.

Jason

Jason, looks great! Love the color too... Enjoy your new ride.

JasonLVNV

Reaction score
Jason, looks great! Love the color too... Enjoy your new ride.

Thanks Jeff! My truck is in the shop getting window tint and Paint Protection film across the entire front end this weekend. I did the same on my 2500. That PPF clear bra material really is worth it if you like a non-chipped front end.

About Leer caps and the light - I seem to have plenty of room aft of the camera for just about any shell. I'm not sure why there was such panic about this. I don't think Leer or any other cap is that much closer to the cab then an ARE model. They are all designed to follow, but not touch the cab and allow for some flex as you drive. The top of the rear cab has a small forward curvature and even though the camera/light housing may be thicker than before, it doesn't stick out excessively so. I think Leer customers will be fine, but until I see one I can't say 100% sure. A few days before I bought my 3500 I saw an HD RAM headed the opposite direction with a really nice shell that I don't believe was an ARE, but probably a Leer or another brand. Looked great and was a motivating factor for my upgrading from the 2018 to 2019.

Jason

take1a

Reaction score
My 2022 RAM 2500 is built and arriving at dealership in (what I hope is) a few weeks. I plan to put a shell on top as well, and have the rear cargo camera; didn't want it, but the package couldn't be configured any other way. On a separate thread I read on HDForum, somone said their older shell fit and left some room for the cargo camera - but they said the clearance was a little less than 3/4". Sounds okay to me, but the guy went on to explain that when driving, especially when going over railroad tracks or bigger bumps, the shell would flex as is typical, and he could hear the "bonk" noise as it contacted the camera; he said it left a mark on the shell. I want to avoid this. Going to talk to Leer and ARE dealers and see is they have caps made for more clearance than 3/4". Feedback please.....

take1a

Reaction score
My 2022 RAM 2500 is built and arriving at dealership in (what I hope is) a few weeks. I plan to put a shell on top as well, and have the rear cargo camera; didn't want it, but the package couldn't be configured any other way. On a separate thread I read on HDForum, somone said their older shell fit and left some room for the cargo camera - but they said the clearance was a little less than 3/4". Sounds okay to me, but the guy went on to explain that when driving, especially when going over railroad tracks or bigger bumps, the shell would flex as is typical, and he could hear the "bonk" noise as it contacted the camera; he said it left a mark on the shell. I want to avoid this. Going to talk to Leer and ARE dealers and see is they have caps made for more clearance than 3/4". Feedback please.....
Also want to add: I've read the cargo camera has very limited usability with a cap on. So, I'm wondering if its possible to have the cargo camera removed and a regular brake-light installed in its place. seems like you'd just have to cap the camera wires with wire nuts?

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
It must be a difference in how they mold the CX versus the MX. My MX had less than half an inch of clearance between the light and the edge of the topper before I replaced the light. And looking at your pic, it definitely curves backward much more than mine.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

Long Pinned Thread here:
2019 Truck cap/topper/camper shell thread

I think 3/4" is about all you're going to get... I doubt they've updated their molds.
In the thread I linked someone replaced the CHMSL with one without a camera.

FWIW, I've had zero issues with mine... I guess it just depends on +/- on each truck.

Will_T

Reaction score
Also want to add: I've read the cargo camera has very limited usability with a cap on. So, I'm wondering if its possible to have the cargo camera removed and a regular brake-light installed in its place. seems like you'd just have to cap the camera wires with wire nuts?

Yes, I did just this as my ARE shell was going to clear, but on washboard roads would likely have bumped the big light/camera. My installer said that he could move the shell back about 3/4" on the bed rails and it would still be fine at the tailgate and be waterproof. But when I saw how little overlap there would be at the front of the bed, I worried about water intrusion. I installed this light and so far, plenty of clearance and no leaks, either in the shell or from the light. There is a long thread somewhere about using the camera from the removed brake light and extending it to the rear of the shell. I have not done that at this point as I find I don't miss the camera at all. I just taped the cameras into the headliner before installing the new light. I use a Haloview rear view mirror camera with built in forward dashcam when towing the TT. That functions as a normal rear-view mirror with the dashcam when the TT is not hooked up.

Last edited:

briggDD

Reaction score
I put a brand new ARE on my 2020 3500, every time I hit a bump going down the road the camera hit the topper, chipping the paint. I called ARE to complain and they said, yea that can happen, the dealer should have warned you. I called the dealer and they said that’s an ARE issue. Sold the damn thing on craigslist and will never buy another ARE product again.

Users who are viewing this thread