Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are 37s Practical?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Opinions are relative and meaningless (mine included). What you think is "worlds better", I know is at best a 16-17 second truck on a good day in perfect air (still a turd).

I dont expect these trucks to be drag racers, but the last thing i want to do is reduce the capability for which i bought the truck by installing giant mall-crawler tires to look cool while i go off road on level ground 1x every 24 months (we used to call those guys posers).

Yes, you will absolutely, unequivocally notice reduced acceleration, reduced braking performance and reduced MPG by installing 37s on your tuck that origally came with 33s. Those are the facts.

Call me old fashioned, im good with it.

Last edited:

Marshfly

Reaction score
I have ran 35s and 37s on both a 2014 Cummins 3500 SRW with 3.42s and a 2019 Cummins SRW 3500 with 3.73s. I towed up to a 12500# 5th wheel with the 2014 on 37s and up to a 16000# 5th wheel with the 2019.

The 3.73 trucks react totally different than the 3.42 trucks with 37s. If your only experience is with a 3.42 truck, you can't imagine the difference. That said, the 12,500# 5th wheel was no big deal with the 2019 on 37s. Pulled just fine. Would hold 6th on the interstate even at 5000ft elevation. Literally, totally fine.

Then we traded for a 16000# full profile wide body Solitude. While the 37s would have been doable for short tows, it was miserable for long days on the highway. I quickly moved back to a 34.5" tall tire and drove 20,000 miles all over the country with a very stock feeling truck.

2019 plus trucks with 37s driven empty or with small trailers less than 10k are absolutely fine. It actually feels like a factory package if you go with an AT. You will not regret it.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Opinions are relative and meaningless (mine included). What you think is "worlds better", I know is at best a 16-17 second truck on a good day in perfect air (still a turd).

I dont expect these trucks to be drag racers, but the last thing i want to do is reduce the capability for which i bought the truck by installing giant mall-crawler tires to look cool while i go off road on level ground 1x every 24 months (we used to call those guys posers).

Yes, you will absolutely, unequivocally notice reduced acceleration, reduced braking performance and reduced MPG by installing 37s on your tuck that origally came with 33s. Those are the facts.

Call me old fashioned, im good with it.
Again, what’s your hurry? For the record, I am a speed freak.....but keep it on the track. Raced dirt for years and drags for a number of years as well. Have gotten older and wiser on the off-road motorcycle atv stuff(pretty good wreck about 6mos ago, that I feel to this day. Old bones take time to heal).
Your 16-17 sec truck comment tells me you compare apples to bananas calling the truck a turd because it doesn’t break your neck with such lightning acceleration as compared to a 6 second pro stocker makes no sense. Yes, every modification, heck everything in general, is a compromise to some degree. Bigger tires without other mods, is a trade off as well. Bottom line, as long as you understand the trade offs go for it. This is USA where we used to be free to do what we pleased with our money, our vehicles. 35s in place of 33s was barely noticeable to me, but I am in no hurry and don’t drive like an idiot. My reasoning for going to 35s was increased weight capacity only, with the added benefit of looks better to me. That being said, I learned the proper way to merge into traffic and how to pass and this new truck does those very impressively. When you get your new H.O., you will see. Hopefully you opted for the 4:10s.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Again, what’s your hurry? For the record, I am a speed freak.....but keep it on the track. Raced dirt for years and drags for a number of years as well. Have gotten older and wiser on the off-road motorcycle atv stuff(pretty good wreck about 6mos ago, that I feel to this day. Old bones take time to heal).
Your 16-17 sec truck comment tells me you compare apples to bananas calling the truck a turd because it doesn’t break your neck with such lightning acceleration as compared to a 6 second pro stocker makes no sense. Yes, every modification, heck everything in general, is a compromise to some degree. Bigger tires without other mods, is a trade off as well. Bottom line, as long as you understand the trade offs go for it. This is USA where we used to be free to do what we pleased with our money, our vehicles. 35s in place of 33s was barely noticeable to me, but I am in no hurry and don’t drive like an idiot. My reasoning for going to 35s was increased weight capacity only, with the added benefit of looks better to me. That being said, I learned the proper way to merge into traffic and how to pass and this new truck does those very impressively. When you get your new H.O., you will see. Hopefully you opted for the 4:10s.

That's my only point. Everything is a compromise. Knowing the trade-offs and trying to make the best decision. I didnt like how sluggish my 2016 was with the 35's... that's all. Did it look good? It sure did!!

I definitely ordered the 4.10's this time around. Those along with the steeper 1st gear of the Aisin vs the 68rfe should make for a strong tower.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
That's my only point. Everything is a compromise. Knowing the trade-offs and trying to make the best decision. I didnt like how sluggish my 2016 was with the 35's... that's all. Did it look good? It sure did!!

I definitely ordered the 4.10's this time around. Those along with the steeper 1st gear of the Aisin vs the 68rfe should make for a strong tower.
It IS impressive! Here in a week I will get the feel of it with 16k tagging along. The differences between the 17 2500 and this one should be like night and day. Outta coffee, off to work.

AZ Sooner

Reaction score
Ok anyone running 37s on a stock suspension? I have the Carli 3.25 Pin-Top but waiting on the King Shocks. I have the HO with the Aisin trans with 3.73. Wheel and Tire set up listed below.

NIT NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLER M/T
37 X12.50R20
KMC KM544 MESA 125.50
20 X9

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Ok anyone running 37s on a stock suspension? I have the Carli 3.25 Pin-Top but waiting on the King Shocks. I have the HO with the Aisin trans with 3.73. Wheel and Tire set up listed below.

NIT NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLER M/T
37 X12.50R20
KMC KM544 MESA 125.50
20 X9
I ran 37 Yokos X-AT (17x9 +20mm) on mine with stock suspension for a couple of months while I was waiting for my Carli suspension. I had to grind the pinch weld a bit and cut some of the liner. But this is what you will need to do anyway if you use your truck offroad. The Carli system does not use bump stops so you can flex up enough to rub even with the added height,

side profile unlifted sm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread