Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARB Compressor mount - under hood or in floor bin?

Quick

Reaction score
I purchased the NH Overland bracket to install an ARB twin in the engine bay. I liked making it accessible and out of the way. The only thing I don't like is that it's right above the headers/engine and exposed to moisture.

I just happened to be on SDHQ website and ran across this storage bin compressor mount: https://sdhqoffroad.com/collections...2500-3500-sdhq-built-arb-air-compressor-mount

It would hide the compressor well, but it also means that it's in the cabin (with the wife and dog) and anything sitting on the floor above it would have to be moved before access. I keep my fridge behind the driver on the platform, so access would be challenging. Operating it with the door close (adding an air-chuck to the side of the bin) would mean very little airflow and the compressor gets hot.

Thoughts on either direction?

Quick

Reaction score
Here is another option for you. Desert Does It sells a mount for under the front passenger seat. Might be the best option for you considering your build you have and keeping it out of the weather elements….

I liked this, but I believe it doesn’t fit with the factory jack.

Since I’m on 37s with a factory spare, the patch kit and compressor are also part of the daily plan.

Andersen24

Reaction score
Maybe fit it in the storage under the back seat? But at least it’s nice to see all these companies that give us options!

el_barto

Reaction score
Yes I believe NH overland has a bracket for compressor under rear seat. I made a bracket for my arb single in that location 6723768F-EAD2-40E3-A3FC-5836447F3335.jpeg

arx237

Reaction score
exposed to moisture
Fairly certain ARB says that isnt really an issue unless you are trying to run it submerged in water.

I wouldnt worry about it under the hood. Itll also mean you dont have to leave the door open when running it in the rain.

el_barto

Reaction score
Fairly certain ARB says that isnt really an issue unless you are trying to run it submerged in water.

I wouldnt worry about it under the hood. Itll also mean you dont have to leave the door open when running it in the rain.
I installed air connections in my front and rear bumper so I don’t need to have the doors or hood open in the rain *Taps forehead*

519A465E-465E-4A88-AD9C-E924F7CF16DA.jpeg

DrTron

Reaction score
Another thing to consider might be noise. If you intend to keep it pressurized all the time, the compressor will need to cycle to keep pressure. That might be uncomfortable if the compressor is in the cabin.
But I don't think under the hood would be an issue unless you submerge it, as mentioned.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
I have the NHOverland mount and have not had any issues, i live in the PNW and we have a lot of moisture here.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I’ve seen people mount those under the passenger rear seat but I’ve been doubtful about heat issues. I’ve got a VIAIR compressor I keep in my Rambox and after inflating things I need the compressor head is always way too hot to touch. So much that I am careful about what is around it when I put it back in the box.

Some people do it fine though so YMMV. Food for thought about heat issues

Quick

Reaction score
Thanks all. I think I’m going to stick with the NH Overland bracket. It seems to be the least of all evils. I can always move it later if I need to.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Thanks all. I think I’m going to stick with the NH Overland bracket. It seems to be the least of all evils. I can always move it later if I need to.
quick tips: on the lower part of the mount, I enlarged the existing hole where it mounts to the truck and used a rivnut (vs. the supplied bolt and nut) makes install/removal easier. I also knocked the edges down where the plate bolts into the the fender there is wire bundle there that makes contact and the plate could cut through then. I reached out to the manufacturer and he said he would address in future batches (mine was one of the firsts).

Quick

Reaction score
quick tips: on the lower part of the mount, I enlarged the existing hole where it mounts to the truck and used a rivnut (vs. the supplied bolt and nut) makes install/removal easier. I also knocked the edges down where the plate bolts into the the fender there is wire bundle there that makes contact and the plate could cut through then. I reached out to the manufacturer and he said he would address in future batches (mine was one of the firsts).

Great tips - thanks. Mine just arrived a week or two ago, so hopefully it's revised.

Regarding the rivet, did you install that into the bracket itself or somewhere on the truck. Their instructions leave quite a bit to be desired.

My bracket also has two additional holes in the top, along with extra hardware. I think it's for mounting a manifold for lockers, but I'm just guessing.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Regarding the rivet, did you install that into the bracket itself or somewhere on the truck. Their instructions leave quite a bit to be desired.

My bracket also has two additional holes in the top, along with extra hardware. I think it's for mounting a manifold for lockers, but I'm just guessing.

I used the rivnut on the truck (the plastic piece) where the lower mount meets it. Im not sure about the additional holes? I looked at the website and i dont see it either do you mind posting a pic?

Rivnut:
099FDBB1-7A08-4A78-AB02-FEDD288E5378.jpeg

Quick

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my bracket. Note the two rivnuts installed on the top. It also came with the additional bracket, which I believe is for the switch. I'll be wiring thins to my Switch Pros setup, however.
NHBracket - 1.jpeg

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my bracket. Note the two rivnuts installed on the top. It also came with the additional bracket, which I believe is for the switch. I'll be wiring thins to my Switch Pros setup, however.
View attachment 42588
Oh ok that makes sense. Thanks for the pic! I have mine on the switch pros as well. I think you will like that set up. Happy modding!

RHINO69

Reaction score
Does anyone know where the hell you pass the wires through the engine bay, into the cab? I am trying to install the under the seat mount now and cannot, for the life of me, figure out where these are supposed to feed through…

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Does anyone know where the hell you pass the wires through the engine bay, into the cab? I am trying to install the under the seat mount now and cannot, for the life of me, figure out where these are supposed to feed through…
There is a black plate driver side that is removable via two bolts near the foot pedals
0BC75ADA-B0E3-4A99-8AF9-E0F467448BB5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread